Hardest Movies to watch.

Avatar, The Last Airbender, The Tree of Life, The Avengers, Catwoman and To The Wonder came to mind when I read the title.

The Avengers doesn't deserve to be on that list of bad movies. I mean jeesh, Avengers isnt high art, but its pretty entertaining and did something no other superhero flick has done before.

The Avengers doesn't deserve to be on that list of bad movies. I mean jeesh, Avengers isnt high art, but its pretty entertaining and did something no other superhero flick has done before.

Oh, it's nowhere near as bad as the others I listed. However, this is for films you find hard to watch and I find it boring and I can't sit through it again.

Oh, it's nowhere near as bad as the others I listed. However, this is for films you find hard to watch and I find it boring and I can't sit through it again.

To each his own. I feel the same for Dark Knight Rises. It's not bad, just extremely boring after you seen it once.

Last edited:
For some reason I found TDKR boring while I was watching it the FIRST time.

I dunno about anyone else, but I watch movies to be entertained. If I want to marvel at an artistically created thematic masterpiece by a storytelling genius, I'll read a book which is where you're supposed to find such things, thank you very much. You film majors are all wasting your time and will wind up flipping burgers for a living, at least until those jobs are replaced by robots.

I dunno about anyone else, but I watch movies to be entertained. If I want to marvel at an artistically created thematic masterpiece by a storytelling genius, I'll read a book which is where you're supposed to find such things, thank you very much. You film majors are all wasting your time and will wind up flipping burgers for a living, at least until those jobs are replaced by robots.

Movies are for entertainment? And here I was looking for a deep philosophical meaning to Dumb and Dumber.

Nailed it! Movies are nothing more than pretty pictures meant for shallow, fleeting "entertainment", while only in a book can one find TRUE artistic expression.

Books make it easier for you to have an intimate understanding of the character via their thoughts and internal monologues. If I were a film student, I'd focus on a genre I enjoy and attempt to bring something new or fresh to the genre.

There are movies that are meant to be deep, and then there are movies who should entertain. There is nothing wrong with "fun summer blockbusters" as long as they are not stupid. You can have a simple story as long as it doesn't insult your audience intelligence (coughMichaelBaycough). Heck, the Star Wars OT, the Indiana Jones series, Jaws, etc are all blockbusters, and they're considered classics.

What if the audience needs their intelligence insulted?

i'm just hoping that some of you guys are joking. i'm gonna assume that you are.

That's fighting words. :argh:

Film majors make more money than English majors.

Last edited:
I guess that Scorsese fella's been wasting his time all these years.

Pier Paolo Pasolini's Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom

Danny Lee and Herman Yau The Untold Story

Elem Klimov Come and See

This ones are kinda shocking.

But the one who took me harder to watch was definitely Takahata Grave of the Fireflies. I saw it many many years ago , having no idea what i was about to see. Rented the vhs thinking it was another cool anime. Boy was i surprised. Amazingly beautiful , but extremely sad.

I agree with other posters who mentioned Avatar which I forgot to put on my list.

I find it long, boring and unoriginal. It contains plots, storylines and characters similar to many other movies, books and tv shows gone before it.

This is a dismissive post considering the brilliant directors that have created powerful films. Film is as legitimate an art form as a book or a painting or music and contains masterpieces, like all art forms. To say that books are where you're supposed to find storytelling genius is dismissing creators like Stanley Kubrick, Martin Scorsese and Alfred Hitchcock, who have created masterpieces that are better than a lot of novels.

Sorry, but I found Casablanca really boring.

i'm just hoping that some of you guys are joking. i'm gonna assume that you are.

From now on, I'm just going to pretend that every post is a satire. Makes things easier (less depressing).

I guess that Scorsese fella's been wasting his time all these years.

That loser? He couldn't make an expressive, substantive, engaging film if he tried. Haven't you heard? It's all about entertainment!

This is a dismissive post considering the brilliant directors that have created powerful films. Film is as legitimate an art form as a book or a painting or music and contains masterpieces, like all art forms. To say that books are where you're supposed to find storytelling genius is dismissing creators like Stanley Kubrick, Martin Scorsese and Alfred Hitchcock, who have created masterpieces that are better than a lot of novels.

No. I think the most intelligent thing you could possibly do is dismiss an entire medium consisting of multitudes of varied and powerful works as existing for the sole purpose of being "entertaining". Geniuses and Scholars abounds on these boards...

old-lol_zps17fdf2fd.gif

Well at least some of us knew you weren't serious!

The....Human...Centipede!

I've only googled it and my eyes popped out of socket and ran away screaming.

The....Human...Centipede!

I've only googled it and my eyes popped out of socket and ran away screaming.

Actually it was really tame. I was actually a bit disappointed due to my imagination making me think it would be so much worse. Not to mention the doctor in the film is done brilliantly.

Well at least some of us knew you weren't serious!

The first sentence is mostly truth though. I watch movies and television, read books and play video games for the entertainment value. I can, and do, appreciate the artistic themes put into them, but I'm much more likely to rate the work that I find more entertaining as better than the ones I don't. The Avengers may be a "dumb action movie", but as far as I'm concerned, it's a better movie than 2001 is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"