Mufasa: The Lion King

Faverau isn't to blame for what happened with the Lion King remake. He did a great job remaking Jungle Book, so I KNOW he can do great remakes. I blame the writer, Jeff Nathanson. This is the same guy who wrote that last Pirates movie and basically peed on everything that made the first 4 movies fun. I don't know why Disney keeps hiring this idiot, but he's the one, not Favreau, who thought Scar *****-slapping Mufassa to his death instead of the subtle yet creepy way of just letting him fall like that in the original. **** HIM.

For the record, most of the Disney remakes and associated works I've been very open minded about and have enjoyed most of them. My philosophy is that, in theory, this is Disney re-introducing these tales in a new format while also fixing certain mistakes the originals made or making characters more fleshed out than they were. And for the most part, I've not been proven wrong, despite some people thinking otherwise. Hell, I LOVED the Beauty and the Beast remake and I'll gladly defend it tooth and nail! The only ones I didn't like were Maleficent (though the sequel was better IMO), Dumbo and Lion King (Mulan was "meh" IMO).
Was Jungle Book really that much different from Lion King though? They did change up the story more, but it was still a fairly pedestrian remake ALSO marked by ruining a fun villain and butchering their iconic song.

Was Jungle Book really that much different from Lion King though? They did change up the story more, but it was still a fairly pedestrian remake ALSO marked by ruining a fun villain and butchering their iconic song.
At first I thought you were talking about Shere Khan because I never considered King Louie to be a villain, lol. I actually liked Walken's rendition of the song. I was more upset that they cut "The Bare Necessities" short and that the Elephant March from the animated film was removed entirely.

But going back to the whole "Is this necessary?" conversation, the ironic thing is that the Lion King sequel/prequel has more potential than the nearly shot-for-shot line-for-line remake that we got two years ago.

The paleontologist in me will forever be amused by the fact that they managed to fit "Gigantopithecus" into the lyrics twice. That's bars right there.

A bit more from Jenkins on this (after the first part where he talks about The Underground Railroad:
Barry Jenkins interview: ‘If we can’t bear witness to brutality, we risk erasing my ancestors’
Jenkins’s next planned movie – a sequel to The Lion King – may just reflect this uplift. He watched the original 1994 Disney cartoon “literally hundreds of times” with his nephews, but the chance to make a follow-up to Jon Favreau’s 2019 hit remake, created using state-of-the-art “virtual reality” tools, was intriguing. “There’ve only been five or six films made in the style of this Lion King film. The script is great. It’s a completely new mode of filmmaking. And I was at a point in my career where I felt like I wanted to stretch myself [and] that’s allowed me to do that.”

Jenkins was also encouraged by Chloé Zhao, who has followed her Oscar-winning Nomadland with another Disney blockbuster, the forthcoming Marvel superhero ensemble Eternals. While some will doubtless see this as a worrying trend in cinema, as art-house darlings are snapped up by the studios for their latest cash cows, Jenkins sees it as vital to keep the door wide open for people of colour to direct on this grand, operatic scale. If he’s doing it, it’ll help filmmakers in the future get the same opportunities.

In “two years, three years, four years, five years”, he wants to ensure industry equality across the board. “I didn’t want [studios to say] ‘Oh, but you’re just an indie director from the projects. You can’t possibly make one of these films.’ It’s like, ‘No, Barry Jenkins did it. And so now any damn body can do it.’" In his eyes, The Lion King is a chance for him to lead the way. "So we’re gonna do it, man. We’re gonna put our heart into it, the way we put our heart into everything else.” He stares back. “So that’s what I got, man!”

Some concept artists from the 2019 film released some of their pieces to the public a few days ago. As I've said, the more realistic looks don't bother me as much as they did some people, but this definitely would've worked a lot better for all sides involved. Way better than those weird fan edits that look like Disney World animatronics come to life.
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ybWERO

Different artist, but I think this is where the rumors of Scar being a white lion were coming from.

Technically this is leucism, not albinism. You can tell by the blue eyes (albino animals have red eyes) and the mane still having color in it. Leucism is a reduction of normal levels of pigments, albinism is the complete lack of melanin specifically.

‘The Lion King’ Prequel: Disney & Barry Jenkins Find Their Lead Actors – Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: The Lion King prequel is roaring into life. We can reveal that Waves and The Trial Of The Chicago 7 star Kelvin Harrison Jr. and The Underground Railroad star Aaron Pierre are set to lead voice cast.

Production is underway on the anticipated feature, which will see Moonlight director Barry Jenkins further explore the mythology of the iconic characters, including Mufasa’s origin story.

Harrison Jr. is playing Mufasa, while Pierre — who recently teamed up with Jenkins on Amazon series The Underground Railroad — will play Taka. Additional casting is in process with plenty of big names likely

I thought this was the story of brothers Mufassa and Scar, but sounds like it’s only Mufassa’s backstory and this new character Taka.

It's his birth name per this series of sub/non-canon books called The Lion King: 6 New Adventures that came out shortly after the first film. Disney pretty much ignored any and everything in those books when they made Simba's Pride and all the other spinoffs and prequels and whatnot, so this would be the first time they've officially directly carried something over from that series into an official Disney-produced Lion King property.

I'm not a fan, personally, since the word means "trash" and that just seems too overt of a villain setup for me, but maybe there's a good story behind it; I'm open to being swayed on this. At least The Lion Guard gave Scar the birth name Askari, which means warrior and obviously has "scar" in it, so it fits better.

Nicholas Britell Is Busy With Succession, Andor And Lion King Prequel

That’s awesome. My last question then is, and maybe this is public and I should know this, but based on your schedule I’m assuming you’re not doing “The Lion King” prequel with Barry [Jenkins]? Or are you?

No, I am. I am doing it.

Dude, when do you sleep? [Laughs]

Barry and I are working together on that. And actually, we’ve already been working together on that for a while. I actually don’t even know the official, I actually don’t even know what they have on the calendar for the official release. But you know, it’s a large scale project and it’s a long time period of work that we’re putting into it, for sure. You know, we meet up, when I’m in LA I work on it with him, when he’s in New York we work on it together. So yeah. Yeah.

I gotta see an improvement on the character design/model cause the ones in Lion King just didn’t work. Wish they’d do it in hand drawn animation.

de64ife-5b4670aa-2cba-43b9-b72d-6e36f0749ff9.png

Won’t be watching this or any other live action Disney movie but it’ll be fun to see how the internet reacts to it.

Is James Earl Jones back ?!
God I hope not. You could tell in Lion King 2019 that his voice isn't what it used to, plus his voice acting wasn't really good. I don't put that on him though, the man is 91 years old and that's more on Favreau's poor direction.

Plus, Mufasa is supposed to be way younger in this. Get someone else to voice the character that can replicate the same level of timber and bass.

From the little I’ve seen of that movie, Jones was terrible. Change it up.

James Earl Jones hasn't even been officially casted in this one, plus it doesn't make sense for the story. They've actually already announced the actors for young adult Mufasa (Aaron Pierre) and Scar (Kelvin Harrison, Jr.) – ironically Pierre is British and Harrison is American – and a casting call went out a while ago for cub versions of both.

Personally I'm actually genuinely interested because I'm curious to see how well they can do a movie in this style that doesn't draw attention to its shortcomings by using the very familiar cartoon film as a frame-by-frame storyboard. It's more or less a chance to see if they can actually do something original well, basically. All we know plot-wise from the new D23 news is that Mufasa is an orphan in this and apparently is from outside the Pride Lands, so that's already a hard left turn from most fanfics I've read that cover this topic. They're leaning pretty heavily into the prequel side as opposed to the more Godfather Part II double-narrative they were initially advertising; don't know if that means anything for whether they wanna continue this with another movie that's an actual sequel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"