Multiple Game Companies Are Considering Raising the Price of Games to $69.99 for NextGen

Here in Canada, games cost 80 bucks at launch.
Thats weird. I live in Asia, and if my computation is right, most of newer games I saw in the stores cost 52 us dollars. And its 2 dollars off when I pay in cash.

The upgrade is for when I got the ps5? If thats the case, then I would.

Well either next gen console but yeah. It'll be released sometime in 2021 like a remaster and if you already own GTA V, you use your account to get the upgraded version for free as well certain other upgrades for games such as Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, Cyberpunk 2077 and Avengers

As I've already said before, it has been over 15 years since prices went up. Games are actually cheaper now than they were then when adjusting for inflation so a $10 hike isn't too bad. I remember back when games went from $40-50 to $60 and people freaked the **** out how it was the end of gaming. Clearly it was not.

True, but the problem is if you want to have the actual full game, you'll have to buy the special/gold/deluxe edition for $100 or even more... or purchase the dlc later on for an extra $20/$30. And don't forget about all the microtransactions, now you have to pay for stuff that used to be free. (Like skins, characters, etc.) So games are more expensive already.

It also seems like they're now stripping away more content from the base game than ever. Not all companies are doing that, but we all know the bad ones

True, but the problem is if you want to have the actual full game, you'll have to buy the special/gold/deluxe edition for $100 or even more... or purchase the dlc later on for an extra $20/$30. And don't forget about all the microtransactions, now you have to pay for stuff that used to be free. (Like skins, characters, etc.) So games are more expensive already.

It also seems like they're now stripping away more content from the base game than ever. Not all companies are doing that, but we all know the bad ones

This exactly. A higher base price will not stop publishers using the same tactics to extract money after sale. The most successful games on the market right now are funded through micro-transactions, not that $60 purchase. Many had no upfront costs at all. The industry already shifted priorities, they will continue to skirt the law with gambling mechanics until regulation steps in. Adding that $10 is just a little bonus for themselves

It was inevitable. AAA devlopment that is a bubble that is getting ready to pop. It is very unsteady. And the war on lootboxes (thanks EA) is only going to make it shakier.

yeah I don't think you getting what you pay for is going to be any different. this is just a straight price increase from $60 to $70. Just like in the middle of this gen when a year of psplus went from $50 to $60.

ideally, the move to $70 standard would mean the industry would rethink the practice of DLC, microtransactions, releasing games in a broken state, etc.

For $70, I kind of expect more of a "complete" game. However, I'm doubtful the industry will change and they will still nickel-and-dime with DLC and add-ons.

I don't mind paying for expansion DLCs that add new story content to the game or even a season pass that adds additional characters. But with fighting games especially, I really don't like it when it feels like content/characters were deliberately left out of the base game so they can charge you for it later as DLC. And that's particularly true of costumes.

I remember the days of yore when you unlocked stuff, including characters and costumes, by, y'know, actually playing the game.

ideally, the move to $70 standard would mean the industry would rethink the practice of DLC, microtransactions, releasing games in a broken state, etc.

For $70, I kind of expect more of a "complete" game. However, I'm doubtful the industry will change and they will still nickel-and-dime with DLC and add-ons.

I don't mind paying for expansion DLCs that add new story content to the game or even a season pass that adds additional characters. But with fighting games especially, I really don't like it when it feels like content/characters were deliberately left out of the base game so they can charge you for it later as DLC. And that's particularly true of costumes.

I remember the days of yore when you unlocked stuff, including characters and costumes, by, y'know, actually playing the game.

Facts.

I was so angry with Street Fighter V for feeling completely unfinished and turned off by Killer Instinct for XBox 360 when they started that pay to play garbage. But it made me like Mortal Kombat and Injustice more.

But just unacceptable.

With MK11's new DLC costing nearly as much as the game itself, I am totally done with that franchise. I never got into any other fighting games so this is it. I also found them to be less fun than when playing against another person in an arcade.

With the price increase I hope they are better balanced with the DLC at least in cost if nothing else but somehow I doubt they will temper their greed that much. I am hoping it means less nickle and diming "micro-transactions" though.

Facts.

I was so angry with Street Fighter V for feeling completely unfinished and turned off by Killer Instinct for XBox 360 when they started that pay to play garbage. But it made me like Mortal Kombat and Injustice more.

But just unacceptable.
agreed.

With MK11's new DLC costing nearly as much as the game itself, I am totally done with that franchise. I never got into any other fighting games so this is it. I also found them to be less fun than when playing against another person in an arcade.

With the price increase I hope they are better balanced with the DLC at least in cost if nothing else but somehow I doubt they will temper their greed that much. I am hoping it means less nickle and diming "micro-transactions" though.
at least base MK11 felt like a complete game with a good amount of content and a good sized roster. I get what you are saying about DLC costing as much as the base game.

One of the worst offenders I've seen is Dead or Alive 6. The season passes are like $90!! More than the base game!!

But the thing with Mortal Kombat is at least they give you the WHOLE game and all those fun extras. The DLC they provide is just icing on the cake.

But for other franchises when they only give you one or two characters to start with and then you have to pay for the rest is just no bueno.

No DLC should cost that much. Some full, standalone games are cheaper than that.

And this is only the very beginning of the next generation of games and consoles. Within time as games become more expensive and advanced, I'm sure the default price of a PS5 game at launch will be much different than in the 3rd year of its life.

My main issue with street fighter V is I've waited 5 years to get it so it would include all the dlcs.... only to found the disc was the same disc they've released in 2016. I had to update the game online (instead of the disc already updated since its the third repackage/version of the game).... then I have to redeem the codes (which I couldn't because my console came from the States and I live in Asia). While the dlc contents for Horizon Zero Dawn/Mortal Kombat X/Hitman were already on the disc/complete edition and I didn't need to redeem anything from the ps store.

I'm only on board with this if companies stop gouging people with DLC that should have been included with the game in the first place.

$70.00 for a full game? No complaints here.

My main issue with street fighter V is I've waited 5 years to get it so it would include all the dlcs.... only to found the disc was the same disc they've released in 2016. I had to update the game online (instead of the disc already updated since its the third repackage/version of the game).... then I have to redeem the codes (which I couldn't because my console came from the States and I live in Asia). While the dlc contents for Horizon Zero Dawn/Mortal Kombat X/Hitman were already on the disc/complete edition and I didn't need to redeem anything from the ps store.
you still couldn't redeem the codes for SF V? surely there must be some way around that.

Aren’t game’s really expensive in Australia?

The price increase and future game dlc is what it is. You don't have to like it but adapt to the industry and find ways around it or leave gaming. No point in being bitter or complaining for generations. It sucks and the days of pre-ps3/x360 gaming is gone and I sure miss it but I had to let it go!

At least we have 3 options!...Buy, Don't Buy or Buy while waiting for sales. I still get deluxe or whatever editions a few times a year but usually I get games on xbox gamepass or on sale digitally. I find dlc and special editions on sale with a % off all the time. A top game will suddenly be on sale by surprise for a month or so.

you still couldn't redeem the codes for SF V? surely there must be some way around that.
I will have to create an Asian account. And maybe I could do that with my current playstation (not sure) but its just seems a lot of work as I've been using just 1 account since I got my ps4. I already uninstalled Sfv the other day.

I had the same problem redeeming my rewards/codes with Death Stranding/Resident Evil 2, but they don't really affect my enjoyment with the game unlike with SFV. And before those three games, I managed to redeem my codes with Hitman just fine. So yeah, it has to do with the codes being region locked.

The price increase and future game dlc is what it is. You don't have to like it but adapt to the industry and find ways around it or leave gaming. No point in being bitter or complaining for generations. It sucks and the days of pre-ps3/x360 gaming is gone and I sure miss it but I had to let it go!

At least we have 3 options!...Buy, Don't Buy or Buy while waiting for sales. I still get deluxe or whatever editions a few times a year but usually I get games on xbox gamepass or on sale digitally. I find dlc and special editions on sale with a % off all the time. A top game will suddenly be on sale by surprise for a month or so.
To me, its just the nature of everything becoming more eXpensive as time goes by. Like the people against this price hike made really good points. Ten dollars is a lot even if the price didn't change back in the mid 2000s. But games these days (the ones I've played have better graphics, have more side stuff that could boost the replayability of the game compare to the games that came out in ps1/2/3). The price will be cut in half if you're patient, unless you're that guy in the gaming community and have to buy/play all of these games the second they are released, then okay, that could be a big concern.

Even microtransactions go on sale. I don't get them myself but I don't get that upset when a game has them

The new CoD has been revealed and the next-gen versions are priced 10 dollars more than PS4/XB1 editions.

Expect more publishers to follow suit with the 69.99 price tag...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"