Natalie Portman

I'm hoping this movie will be the downfall of her. Maybe then she'll get some acting lessons.

lay of her she **** in star wars but thats cause star wars is **** look at her in Garden State Leon Closer she can act her lil tight ass off PLUS the main point shes in the movie she looks absolutly spits of Evey

****ing dorks

Have you seen Garden State? Closer? Leon? This girl can act.

The Storm said:
Have you seen Garden State? Closer? Leon? This girl can act.
Sure- to a mediocre or plain bad level. When she tries to act she may as well have 'I am acting' brightly crayoned in capitals on her forehead for all the subtlety and finesse in it. How could I not love her mechanical, self-concious and overly-mannered-of-voice stripper in Closer? Or her laboured wackiness in GS? Actually, she was okay in GS, but not much more than okay- she can neither cry or laugh naturally, and she never went any furthur than the surface with the character. There are dozens of actresses in her age group who could've done a whole lot more with those characters (Zooey Deschanel would've been a better casting for Closer). Leon? She was good for a 12 year old, but she hasn't gotten any better (I assume for the same reason Brooke Shields and Tatum O'Neill never got any better, because they were so succesful so early that no one ever tested them) and good for a 12 year old is pretty poor for a 24 year old. The only reason she has a career now is Star Wars and her looks. If she had the face of a Leelee Sobeiski or a Thora Birch (who's actually a fine actress, but her career seems to have tailed off) she'd have the career or a Leelee Sobeiski or a Thora Birch.
Anyway, to repear the sentiments of upthread; she's probably the worst ever actress to be declared the best of her generation. The next Andi MacDowall.
absolutly spits of Evey
Evey's blonde English and 16. Was Romola Garai not available? Heck, was Keira Knightley (who can at least be relied on for the accent) out for lunch?
****ing dorks
That's the spirit.

Yep, the academy always likes to nominate ****ty actresses for their awards. :rolleyes:

guitarsingerguy said:
Yep, the academy always likes to nominate ****ty actresses for their awards. :rolleyes:
I'm sure Madonna deserved her Golden Globe, too. I'm sure Mercedes Ruehl and Mira Sorvino really, really deserved theirs and didn't just get them because they were the youngest/prettiest in their category either. And sure hasn't Kate Hudson gone on to prove how deserved her Oscar nom was, right?

Needia said:
I'm sure Madonna deserved her Golden Globe, too. I'm sure Mercedes Ruehl and Mira Sorvino really, really deserved theirs and didn't just get them because they were the youngest/prettiest in their category either. And sure hasn't Kate Hudson gone on to prove how deserved her Oscar nom was, right?

Touche. :o

Needia said:
And sure hasn't Kate Hudson gone on to prove how deserved her Oscar nom was, right?

She did deserve her nomination. The Academy Awards nominate the best performances of that particular year. No matter how much you dislike her career choices since, that performance in Almost Famous was one of the best by a supporting actress that year. She deserved it, no doubt.

Portman can act. Lucas just can't direct his actors.

MJB said:
Portman can act. Lucas just can't direct his actors.

I'd have to say that alot of the acting in the SW prequels was wooden. I have enjoyed Natalie's performances in several of her other roles. Plus, she's hot. I think it'll be good.

Assassin32 said:
She did deserve her nomination. The Academy Awards nominate the best performances of that particular year. No matter how much you dislike her career choices since, that performance in Almost Famous was one of the best by a supporting actress that year. She deserved it, no doubt.

That's what she won for! I couldn't remember for the life of me. That case, I have to agree with this statement. Almost Famous was an amazing movie. She did a great job. Too bad she hasn't lived up to her potential.

GLREBORN said:
I'm sure she will be the downfall of this movie.
For the last two years you've been spamming the Batman Begins boards saying "Katie Holmes will DESTROY this movie!!!" and when it came out, you actually praised her performance like you'd been saying she'd be great all along.

Now you've moved on to another movie to spit your bile on?

guitarsingerguy said:
That's what she won for! I couldn't remember for the life of me. That case, I have to agree with this statement. Almost Famous was an amazing movie. She did a great job. Too bad she hasn't lived up to her potential.

She lost to Marcia Gay-Harden.

Assassin32 said:
I thought she was cute, but not in the big leagues with that performance. It seemed to be another case of Academy members nominating a good-looking actress playing a character they'd like to sleep with (*cough*Marissa Tomei*cough*)

Some people say Jack Palance accidentally said the wrong name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"