NBC eyes "Dracula" series

Let's just hope this show has some bite. I would hate for it to be a bloodless affair.

I have always been a fan of the Dracula legend ever since I first seen him in Monster Squad. I've seen almost everything with Dracula ever since and there were some really bad movies in there. This project sounds promising I like the Victorian London backdrop. Opens up possibilities that are really exciting like the count crossing paths with the worlds first serial killer my dates might be off. I pray that this is good I haven't seen a good portrayal of Dracula since Gary Oldman.

A list of things I'd like to see or hinted at in the series :
The order of the dragon
Van helsing
Vlad dracul
Werewolves
Frankenstein's monster

Some things Id hate to see:
Walking around in the sun, I hate when vampires can walk in the sun. That's always been traditionally one of the downfalls of being an immortal vampire.

Some things Id hate to see:
Walking around in the sun, I hate when vampires can walk in the sun. That's always been traditionally one of the downfalls of being an immortal vampire.

A tradition began by film, not Stoker's novel. Dracula is out and about during the day at several points in the novel.

I'm aware and think that's one aspect of the Dracula legend that Hollywood improved on like it did with Superman being able fly.

Ive never understood the concept of sunlight burning vampires. Yeah they are nocturnal beings but why would the uv burn them? If it is a biological condition it is impossible. If it is due to the curse then ok but wouldnt a better curse be to force this nocturnal being to live in the sunlight and be repelled by moonlight? And if the vampirism is a gift from the devil then why would the devil weaken his evil minion by limiting him to less than 12 hours of activity? Either way its an unnecessary part of the lore imo. At most, if the uv is going to effect them it should effect them like any other creature with low pigment levels. A bad sunburn, but it shouldn't incinerate them.

Last edited:
I actually liike the fact that vampires explode in sunlight. Even Superman's gotta have kryptonite.

Ive never understood the concept of sunlight burning vampires. Yeah they are nocturnal beings but why would the uv burn them? If it is a biological condition it is impossible. If it is due to the curse then ok but wouldnt a better curse be to force this nocturnal being to live in the sunlight and be repelled by moonlight? And if the vampirism is a gift from the devil then why would the devil weaken his evil minion by limiting him to less than 12 hours of activity? Either way its an unnecessary part of the lore imo. At most, if the uv is going to effect them it should effect them like any other creature with low pigment levels. A bad sunburn, but it shouldn't incinerate them.

There are normal humans with a condition that burns them in sunlight even for brief exposure, it is rare but it happens. Another reason I like this part of the legend it's a clear rejection of Christianity. It also connects to judas being the first vampire which is a awesome angle in my mind.

be0857120d01f32880499fbf63836cbb.jpg

:lmao:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/jessica-de-gouw-lands-female-lead-on-nbc-drama-series-dracula/
Jessica De Gouw Lands Female Lead On NBC Drama Series ‘Dracula’
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

Australian actress Jessica de Gouw (The Dinner Meeting, Arrow) has landed the female lead opposite Jonathan Rhys Meyers in NBC/Sky Living‘s 10-episode series Dracula. Described as “Dangerous Liaisons meets The Tudors”, the series is set in 1890s London. It centers on Dracula (Meyers), who arrives in London posing as American entrepreneur Allen Grayson, who maintains that he wants to bring modern science to Victorian society. In reality, he hopes to wreak revenge on the people who ruined his life centuries earlier, but he falls hopelessly in love with a woman who seems to be a reincarnation of his dead wife. De Gouw will play that woman, Mina Murray, a striking medical student who is engaged to Jonathan Harker but upon meeting Grayson both are instantly mesmerized by the other’s uncanny resemblance to someone from their past.

De Gouw, repped by Kelly Tiffan Management and RGM in Australia, was recently seen on the CW’s Arrow as Oliver Queen’s nemesis/love interest The Huntress. Dracula is produced by Tony Krantz’s Flame Ventures, Colin Callender’s Playground Entertainment, Universal TV and NBCU International Prods.’ Carnival Films & Television, the company behind phenom Downton Abbey.

She played the Huntress, right? Honestly, I thought that performance was borderline horrible

Eh. More than borderline. But I've heard she's been better in other work. I guess we'll see...

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/katie-mcgrath-nonso-anozie-join-nbcs-dracula-series/
Katie McGrath & Nonso Anozie Join NBC’s ‘Dracula’ Series
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

Merlin star Katie McGrath and Nonso Anozie (The Grey) have been cast opposite Jonathan Rhys Meyers in the upcoming NBC/Sky Living HD 10-episode drama series Dracula. The series re-introduces Dracula (Meyers) as he arrives in London, posing as American entrepreneur Alan Grayson who maintains that he wants to bring modern science to Victorian society. In reality, he hopes to wreak revenge on the people who ruined his life centuries earlier but falls hopelessly in love with Mina Murray (Jessica De Gouw) who appears to be the reincarnation of his dead wife. McGrath will play Lucy Westenra, Aristocratic London’s sexy, social butterfly and Mina’s best friend who has a penchant for gossip, flirting and all things glamorous. Anozie will play R.M. Renfield, Alan Grayson’s fiercely loyal confidante. McGrath, repped by Luber Roklin, attorney Fred Toczek and UK’s The Rights House, just wrapped her stint as Morgana on the Syfy/BBC series Merlin. She also guest starred on The Tudors opposite Meyers. Anozie has guest starred on HBO’s Game of Thrones. Based on a script by co-executive producer Cole Haddon, Dracula is executive produced by Colin Callender, Tony Krantz, Gareth Neame and Dan Knauf for Universal Television.
McGrath... :atp:

I have faith the Meyers will do an excellent job as this Dracula, but I'm still ticked off that they want to have a sympathetic Count with a reincarnation theme. Would it be that bad to actually have a completely villainous and darkly magical Dracula without trying to justify his actions in any way? You could keep the dark charisma and pride that fuels the character, but you wouldn't have to keep sissifying vampires in the same trend that culminated in Twilight (though the trend started decades earlier).

However, I'm still curious how they'll approach the rest of the source material. McGrath will probably have the right hair for Lucy according to the books, and we've already got Renfield and Mina in the cast list. I'm kind of hoping they decide to include versions of the rest of the main cast because I want to see Jonathon Harker and Quincy Morris done justice, especially since no one's actually done an ending comparable to the novel where they are Dracula's executioners.

The idea of having Dracula pose as an American is intriguing, since it means they'll be playing with the whole "weird foreigner with an accent thing" from a different angle. They might actually be playing up the idea that Dracula's a predator moving into a new habitat and finding new camoflage, and that could be very interesting.

And just to point this out, the nom de guerre Dracula could actually apply to all Vlad II Dracul's children, not just Vlad Tepes, Dracula the Impaler. I'm hoping someone actually points out how Tepes had brothers who could probably be used as candidates for the vampire lord; there's Vlad the Monk, Radu the Handsome (who actually shared the nickname "Blood Brothers" with Tepes), and finally Mircea, who I'd like to point out was buried alive (pretty handy for a vampire origin story.)

And am I alone in hoping they use something like the Scholomance from the book as an explanation for his powers? An ancient haunted library of forbidden knowledge could tie in well with Dracula being a proponent of science.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/thomas-kretschmann-oliver-jackson-cohen-join-nbcs-dracula-series/
Thomas Kretschmann & Oliver Jackson-Cohen Join NBC’s ‘Dracula’ Series
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

Dracula has found his Van Helsing. Thomas Kretschmann (Wanted), who will play the famous vampire hunter, and Oliver Jackson-Cohen (Mr. Selfridge) have been cast in the upcoming NBC/Sky Living HD 10-episode drama series Dracula starring Jonathan Rhys Meyers. The series re-introduces Dracula (Meyers) as he arrives in London, posing as American entrepreneur Alan Grayson who maintains that he wants to bring modern science to Victorian society. In reality, he hopes to wreak revenge on the people who ruined his life centuries earlier but falls hopelessly in love with Mina Murray (Jessica De Gouw) who appears to be the reincarnation of his dead wife. Kretschmann, repped by APA and attorney David Fox, will play Abraham Van Helsing who, in this version of the story is a brilliant professor with a seemingly cool exterior whose obsession with revenge and power may make him a more dangerous threat to the public than Dracula (Meyers) himself. Jackson-Cohen, repped by WME, Management 360 and UK’s United Agents, plays the handsome Jonathan Harker, a tenacious and slightly gauche journalist desperate to climb the ranks of aristocracy—and stay there. Also previously cast in the series are Katie McGrath, Nonso Anozie and Victoria Smurfit. Based on a script by co-executive producer Cole Haddon, Dracula is executive-produced by Colin Callender for Playground, Tony Krantz for Flame Ventures, Gareth Neame for Carnival Films, Dan Knauf and Universal Television.
Kretschmann as Van Helsing, huh? Not bad...

What worries me is the change to Van Helsing's character. . . . Now he's evil??!!

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3218356/tv-nbcs-dracula-finds-its-evil-van-helsing/

NBC’s upcoming “Dracula” has found its Van Helsing in the form of Thomas Kretschmann (King Kong). Albeit, there’s a twist to this incarnation of Helsing. Per TV Line, “In the forthcoming period drama, Kretschmann’s Van Helsing is a brilliant professor obsessed with revenge and power. He may be a greater threat to the public than the titular count.” Kretschmann joins Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Jessica DeGouw, Katie McGrath and Nonso Anozie.

The series, which bypassed the traditional pilot stage, takes place in the 1890s and finds Dracula (“The Tudors’” Jonathan Rhys Meyers) living a double life in London as an American businessman interested in bringing modern science to Victorian society. But his true plan — to exact revenge on those who burdened him centuries ago — is derailed when he falls in love with Mina (“Arrow”‘s Jessica DeGouw), who seems to be a reincarnation of his dead wife.

“Dracula,” a co-production from British Sky Broadcasting, Carnival Films & Television, Flame Ventures and NBCUniversal, hails from Tony Krantz (“24,” “Sports Night”) and former HBO Films president Colin Callender and writer-creator Cole Haddon (who will co-exec produce).

NBC plans to air Dracula in the fall of 2013.

In the end I hope that twist works out.

Trailer should be out tomorrow.

Trailer looks good. I'm surprised Dracula is speaking with an American accent though. I know it's just a cover, but it still makes it seem a little off.

Interesting that Renfeld is being portrayed as a willing accomplice.

I gotta admit, i'm a bit dissapointed... just doesn't seem like something i'm gonna be very interested in.

Let's just hope it's not all in vein, it would suck for everyone involved.

Fang you, fang you! I'm here all week.

I guess I'll give it a try but it looks very bleh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"