Need some college advice

SapphirePrima

Superhero
Reaction score
So I recently I got excepted to the school I reallly wanted to go to. Every things all good in well grades and health wise. But I've only have this one problem; It's in a state I've never been to and I've never visited the campus. My mother refuses to go take a tour on the weekday the only day they have them and the next Open House for this year is on her birthday weekend and she has "plans" and we can't go. So the first time I'll be on the school's campus would be Freshman Orientation. So should I take the risk and go to the school I've never visited before or just go to a local school and wait till I'm able to visit the campus?

I really don't want to go to school instate. It's too close to home and I don't want my momma all in my mix.:down:

Can you do some research on the internet and find out about the campus and dorms (if you're going to live there)? Should be able to find some pictures of the place and read up on the city and state with a little Googling.

jag

Freshman orientation is dumb. Go to college!

Can you do some research on the internet and find out about the campus and dorms (if you're going to live there)? Should be able to find some pictures of the place and read up on the city and state with a little Googling.

jag
Yeah, I've done that. And I've talked to a few people who attend the school via facebook. They make me want to go there more.

Yeah, I've done that. And I've talked to a few people who attend the school via facebook. They make me want to go there more.

Ahhh. Well, why not take a chance? You've gotta break out of the nest at some point and it doesn't sound like your mom is too keen on helping you do that. College is a great experience and your mom needs to start putting a little trust in you and know that you are going to do the right thing and not go batsh1t insane with a bunch of partying and craziness that will endanger your grades once you get to school (and you need to show her that you can have balance and still get good grades and keep focused on school while enjoying a batsh1t insane party here and there). :up: Worse case scenario, you do a semester there and hate it and come home and go to a school closer to where your folks are. Best case, you love it and expand your worldly horizons.

jag

Heh, I was the exact opposite. I love being close to home/close to my parents. I'm a momma's boy. :o

a college is a college, meh.

I say go for it.. tours are made to make the school look good.

Go for it. You have to break loose without knowing what will happen afterwards anyway. If not now, it will when you start your career. Go for it. Take a chance.

:up:

You should go for it, just make sure you won't want to come home after say, 2 weeks.

That's what my heart is telling me go for it. But my brain is telling me "Don't". But I think I'm gonna do it.

Hehe! "Mom? Dad? Everyone on the internet says I need to get out of this state to go to school and just break free from you. So, that's what I'm going to do!"

:D

jag

Follow your heart, and tell your brain to take a nap.:woot:

:pal:

go to college, get rid of the bottom choice completely (unless for financial reasons). While it's obviously a good idea to visit the place before attending, it shouldn't be that big of a deal, especially with internet and all these social websites like facebook and other forums.

Mom wants to skip her son's college visit for birthday plans? i suggest you ask her very very nicely, and promise to make it up to her for taking you on the trip. even if it means you spend money to take her out to dinner on mother's day, or just do something nice.

But if you can't go, then still go for it. Don't pass on it just because you didn't have a chance to visit the place. Especially if it's a place you really want to go.

Go for it eventually you are going to be on your own.

You have to do this man. It's a whole life experience that could give you new perspective and help you realize your opportunities aren't confined to one little area of the country.

I wouldn't suggest moving out of state. Try and find a college closer to home. I mean once you go, say you don't like it, you are totally stuck there. But that's just my two cents.

It sounds dorky, but do whatever your heart tells you to. That's what I did. I was a great student in high school and probably could have gone to any one of a whole host of schools, but I chose the one that felt right, not necessarily the one that other people said I should go to, and I love it here. It's a gamble to go to a school you've never visited before, but I think it's worth the risk if it's what your heart is telling you to do.

Best of luck with whatever you choose. :heart:

The same exact thing happened to me. I got accepted to a college away from home but i never visited until Orientation, and when I got there My whole family and I were amazed at how beautiful everything was. I knew I would've loved it there, but for financial reason along with some personal ones, I ended up withdrawing before the semester began. By that time it was too late to get into a college so I had to take the whole semester off and now I'm going to a City University. I know if I didn't have my personal issues, I would've loved going away for college, but I don't regret staying home and going to a school I can afford. Besides, the one I'm at is really helping me pick a career that I enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"