Neill Blomkamp’s next project... ELYSIUM? - Part 1

I don't think it was so much the plot, more so the editing and pacing dragged and bored me to death for the first two acts. Honestly, Copley carried the entire movie and was the damn standout. Plus, maybe it was just my crap local cinema, but I couldn't make out what any of the characters were saying for most of it. Funnily enough I could only really hear Foster's character lol

I could hear everyone perfectly well... :funny:

If the film dragged for you that's fine, but that's more of a taste thing I think, cause it definitely didn't bore me... I was riveted from start to finish.

Well the central plot is kind of... strange? Apparently rebooting Elysium allows Foster to become president. How exactly that works is never sufficiently explained.

The way it came across to me, was that Elysium was more than just the place, it was the name of the computer system that basically acted as government of the whole world.

The Elysium computer system controlled all the robots on earth, and controlled the order of things and people within the heirarchy on Earth and Elysium too.

So when it was created, it was programmed to recognise the President as the person with the most authority, highest levels of clearance etc.

Of course, the only person capable of altering that, would be the person who was responsible for creating the computer system in the first place.

Because he had the power to reset the system and alter who Elysium recognises as the President.

Just like in the end they could alter who Elysium recognises as citizens.

Last edited:
The whole central computer thing was very 70s scifi, like something out of Rollerball. That's the way a lot of things felt with this movie. Personally, I can level with that but I fully understand if it doesn't fit with other people's tastes and expectations.

I could hear everyone perfectly well... :funny:

If the film dragged for you that's fine, but that's more of a taste thing I think, cause it definitely didn't bore me... I was riveted from start to finish.

But that's what disappointed me. I'm a huge sci-fi junkie (I hold the opinion that sci-fi is the easiest genre because little to no research is needed in development :oldrazz:) and it's my favourite type of film, so I was really looking forward to this. Thank goodness Gravity is getting excellent reviews

But that's what disappointed me. I'm a huge sci-fi junkie (I hold the opinion that sci-fi is the easiest genre because little to no research is needed in development :oldrazz:) and it's my favourite type of film, so I was really looking forward to this. Thank goodness Gravity is getting excellent reviews

Weirdly, I don't usually get on that well with straight up sci-fi films. There are a few I like, but many that I find so so so boring because I think the pacing of sci-fi films can be really slow.

This just wasn't one of those for me.

But yeah, definitely looking forward to Gravity :)

People need to learn the difference between rapid editing and shaky cam. While there was some hand-held camerawork in the film, there was hardly any straight up shaky cam.

I thought the action sequences were terrific. Particularly the heist sequence. My only complaint about that was that it was too short. But other than that, it currently stands as my personal favorite action sequence of the year.

Also liked the final fight between Max and Kruger. Especially the aesthetic of the location. Just wish there was more to it than hand to hand combat. But I definitely had no troubles following who was hitting who. Thought it was well above average as far as a fist-fight goes.

Certainly beats the bad place out of seeing another huge city being demolished for the hundred billionth time.

Its shown that the systems and security bots respond to whomever is programmed as being in charge.

But that doesn't mean that Elysium's people will just accept a coup willy nilly. We even see human soldiers on Elysium, and as we established in the movie, a human with an outdated exoskeleton can take on even Elysium's best droids.

So... yeah.

It seems like a rather underdeveloped plan.

But that doesn't mean that Elysium's people will just accept a coup willy nilly. We even see human soldiers on Elysium, and as we established in the movie, a human with an outdated exoskeleton can take on even Elysium's best droids.

So... yeah.

Complete control over a closed system in outer space is a pretty powerful trump card.

It struck me as very similar to Dagget's failed corporate takeover plan from TDKR.

People need to learn the difference between rapid editing and shaky cam. While there was some hand-held camerawork in the film, there was hardly any straight up shaky cam.

I thought the action sequences were terrific. Particularly the heist sequence. My only complaint about that was that it was too short. But other than that, it currently stands as my personal favorite action sequence of the year.

Also liked the final fight between Max and Kruger. Especially the aesthetic of the location. Just wish there was more to it than hand to hand combat. But I definitely had no troubles following who was hitting who. Thought it was well above average as far as a fist-fight goes.

Certainly beats the bad place out of seeing another huge city being demolished for the hundred billionth time.

No this is shaky cam. Quick editing is what Bay does in Transformers to keep the cg costs down. This has decently long cuts but you can't tell what in the world is going on because the camera operator has no idea what he is doing. Also not very many movies have cities being destroyed so ill take that over this mess anyday of the week. Had the action been clear, it would have been pretty good.

So Neill was just interviewed on a local radio station here in SA,they asked him the usual questions about Elysium,but what I thought was interesting is he said he was currently had a tv project in development.

The world presented is interesting, but it never goes beyond that, you never get to really know the world, neither Elysium or Earth, so the world never immerses me.

Instead they lay their focus on this one character, Max, and his struggle. Uunfortunately he, and the characters around him, are so boringly written you couldn't really care less about it all. This clashes with the style, when the mega dramatic music and the gritty slow-mo tells you this is something incredibly moving and important, when the actual content is quite bland.

It might have worked better if the movie didn't try to be anything more than a regular sci-fi action flick. That's what so jarring, on top of not being anything special to begin with.

The only stuff that works are some of the fancy and captivating visuals, wonderful scenery and imagery at times. I also dig some of the cool camera effects and work, but they also feel kinda out of place in the more straightforward context. Like a character screaming a generic command like it's the end of the world, while the camera does something that feels fancy and playful.

Interesting set-up, childish execution of the themes, contrived plot, completely uninteresting characters, 75% of the performances were hilariously bad, amazing CGI, serviceable music, terrible editing, shoddy camera work, mediocre to bad dialogue, cringe-worthy scenes, cliche galore, unimpressive action... Yeah, either a Neill-looking Cylon directed this, or Blomkamp's a one hit wonder.

Too bad for Wagner Moura.

Last edited:
there are things in the movie that i did like. people one Earth build robots that will control them . its true that they build some robots for Elysium but they dont need that many robots. the majority are on Earth. i did like that.

So... yeah.

I don't think there was any suggestion that it WAS a developed well thought out plan.

This was the plan of desperate people trying to seize any opportunity for a bit of a win. And this was a BIG win, even if somehow the people of Elysium found a way of fighting back. (which I doubt TBH, because they didn't have ENOUGH soldiers to compare to men on earth who were willing to fight for the freedom they just won, and any agressive behaviour would result in the robots intervening to establish order... So the only way really is if they could somehow get the info out of Spider to regain control of Elysium, and I don't really see that happening).

Even if those ships landing on earth only saved the lives of the people they could treat in 1 day, that's a heck of a lot of people who've now been given to same right to live as the people of Elysium.

That's why I am glad they ended the film where they did. It leaves it ambiguous.

Max dies for the hope that what he's giving back to the people of earth is worth it. And the film ends with us knowing about as much as he does about how that's going to turn out.

Kermode gave a great (not score) review. Exactly how i felt. Why am i not enjoying it ? Why dont i find this rewarding ? I like the idea. I like the actors. I like the director. I'm a sucker for the setting. I like the director style , its a well made pic but....is so friggin ordinary :csad:

I also want to say that it isn't a terrible film , and nowhere near as bad as most of american blockbusters released this summer, and that superhero trash films that have been released lately.

The simplicity of the setting also isn't the problem. Distric 9 is as subtle as a nail in the head , and the story structure is the typical character beliefs being challenged . But its very enjoyable film because it creates levels upon levels of mood to the world , and gives great weight to the character.Following Wikus is also very fun. The first 40 minutes of this are simply boring.

I still cant believe the idea of putting those flashbacks.

Kermode gave a great (not score) review. Exactly how i felt. Why am i not enjoying it ? Why dont i find this rewarding ? I like the idea. I like the actors. I like the director. I'm a sucker for the setting. I like the director style , its a well made pic but....is so friggin ordinary :csad:

I also want to say that it isn't a terrible film , and nowhere near as bad as most of american blockbusters released this summer, and that superhero trash films that have been released lately.

The simplicity of the setting also isn't the problem. Distric 9 is as subtle as a nail in the head , and the story structure is the typical character beliefs being challenged . But its very enjoyable film because it creates levels upon levels of mood to the world , and gives great weight to the character.Following Wikus is also very fun. The first 40 minutes of this are simply boring.

I still cant believe the idea of putting those flashbacks.

Yeah I always enjoy listening to his reviews, whether I agree or not, he comes across as someone who knows the medium inside out and is honest and criticism is justified and constructive. I also like the fact he doesnt score films just gives his review.

I also happen to agree with everything he said on this film, which is a shame because after being dissapointed by a lot of films this year I thought this couldnt fail to deliver and again I was let down.

No this is shaky cam. Quick editing is what Bay does in Transformers to keep the cg costs down. This has decently long cuts but you can't tell what in the world is going on because the camera operator has no idea what he is doing. Also not very many movies have cities being destroyed so ill take that over this mess anyday of the week. Had the action been clear, it would have been pretty good.

No, it's not. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. bad place, I even saw a thread on IMDB of a user basically detailing every cut of the final fight to discredit the theory that shaky cam was being used.

In fact, I should point out right now that during the heist sequence alone, while there was mild usage of hand-held camerawork, the whole action set piece was framed and composed with a sense of clarity.

And there were a ton of quick cuts during the fight sequences.

Oh, and you say not very many movies have cities being destroyed?

What happened in Transformers? Where does the final fight take place.

What city gets demolished in the finale of Transformers 3?

Paicific Rim AND Battleship just laid waste to Hong Kong in a matter of a year apart.

What city gets totaled at the end of the Avengers?

What city gets totaled at the end of Man of Steel?

How many cities has Roland Emmerich destroyed throughout his career?

Yeah. Exactly.

Kudos to the director of Elysium for at least introducing a set piece that I had never seen in a movie before.

It may not be shakeycam but it doesn't constitute good editing or framing, similar to the opening of Quantum of Solace.

No, it's not. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. bad place, I even saw a thread on IMDB of a user basically detailing every cut of the final fight to discredit the theory that shaky cam was being used.

In fact, I should point out right now that during the heist sequence alone, while there was mild usage of hand-held camerawork, the whole action set piece was framed and composed with a sense of clarity.

And there were a ton of quick cuts during the fight sequences.

Oh, and you say not very many movies have cities being destroyed?

What happened in Transformers? Where does the final fight take place.

What city gets demolished in the finale of Transformers 3?

Paicific Rim AND Battleship just laid waste to Hong Kong in a matter of a year apart.

What city gets totaled at the end of the Avengers?

What city gets totaled at the end of Man of Steel?

How many cities has Roland Emmerich destroyed throughout his career?

Yeah. Exactly.

Kudos to the director of Elysium for at least introducing a set piece that I had never seen in a movie before.

Which one was that? If you mean the heist, then that's kind of bunk.

It presents many ideas, many of them clever and interesting, but none of them are satisfyingly expanded on, most of them not at all.

Which one was that? If you mean the heist, then that's kind of bunk.

The heist sequence was amazing. Lots of eye candy to take it during that whole set piece: including that beautiful slo-mo shot of the droid exploding into tiny shrapnel pieces.

I just came back from it. I really liked it.
Loved the visuals. I got annoyed by Kruger's speech/dialect though.
When he shoots down the shuttles in the beginning, didn't he fire 4 missiles? What happened to the last one? And the one that missed the last shuttle?

this is the problem with movies that are so mediocre that they are empty. they dont evoke emotions.
i still think that its better to have a movie that is loved and HATED than to have a movie that noone cares.
the concept for elysium is very complex,deep and important for modern times. the fact that noone talks about it tells you a lot about the movie.

the acting was decent,effects one of the best in 10 years and the casting was pefect. yes casting Foster in this movie was perfect casting. giving a bad performance is the problem of the director and studio. Foster can do better. Kruger was a fantastic 80's villain with an accent that worked in the movie.but the story is meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh. and in 2013 its not enough to have good effects.

having good cgi in 2013 is like fastfood. everyone can get it everytwhere. i this year watched 5 movies with good effects. so? next year and in 2015 it will be the same. i saw every possible action with vehicles,space ships,fighting,weapons and destruction. i saw everything.

look at the BO. only someone who is a D9 fanatic could spin this into something positive. this is still very bad even for a R rated movie. i am sorry.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=elysium.htm

this movie was my top 3 anticipated movies in the last 5 years. its a 7/10 movie.

^Well this isnt a spin by me but the movie is showing very good legs at the BO, to still be in the top 10 after 5 weeks of release isnt easy in a clustered summer, and it will still be making money for a few weeks yet. It wont get its budget back domestically but thats probably because the opening weekend was pretty poor.

Its drops since then have been pretty good though.

I saw it today. For cinematography, I thought the best part was the opening aerial shot going over Earth. We were sitting down front and it felt like being on a ride.

As for the plot, it was a typical dystopian story of people struggling to survive in horrible conditions while an elite few have all the privileges and utilize the power of their influence to control others.

I also found the story to be an allegory for the necessity for and morality of universal health care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"