Netflix's The Witcher - General Discussion Thread

Her costume looks good at least. The rest we shall see. But I do like her costume.

It does, shame the Geralt costume in the teaser looks so bland. The Witcher 2 and 3 had some incredible costume designs for Geralt, I know this is based more on the books but its a real shame they didnt take inspiration from the games on that, so used to him wearing those masterclass outfits, the Ursine one is pure perfection. Maybe in later series we may get something different of course.

ctw0Xwg.jpg

Of course Yen would compliment his beard - something he hates.

But I loved the dynamic beard in the game. You get a clean shave, stock up supplies and go hunting/exploring. Then bearded or with a stubble return to a town to get another shave. Pretty cool little piece of roleplay.
Yes I loved that element.

It does, shame the Geralt costume in the teaser looks so bland. The Witcher 2 and 3 had some incredible costume designs for Geralt, I know this is based more on the books but its a real shame they didnt take inspiration from the games on that, so used to him wearing those masterclass outfits, the Ursine one is pure perfection. Maybe in later series we may get something different of course.

ctw0Xwg.jpg

Damn I love those designs. The Witcher school armors were one of my favorite aspects of Witcher 3. I did the Willis exploit so I'd have tons of cash to spend on upgrading my armors and swords.

ctw0Xwg.jpg
These are incredible.

Damn I love those designs. The Witcher school armors were one of my favorite aspects of Witcher 3. I did the Willis exploit so I'd have tons of cash to spend on upgrading my armors and swords.

They really put a lot of effort into them in 3 but 2 had some really nice outfits too, of course technology had moved on since that game but there was some real attention to detail in them. Even the default armor was class in 3:
the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-i49441.jpg

ctw0Xwg.jpg
Beautiful armor, but not very practical. Witchers value reaction and agility, because it's the only solution against many beasts. Long coat like that would constrict movement. But the top part is really nice. Vastly superior to what we saw in the screen test. Simple idea, just tastefully applied.

Beautiful armor, but not very practical. Witchers value reaction and agility, because it's the only solution against many beasts. Long coat like that would constrict movement. But the top part is really nice. Vastly superior to what we saw in the screen test. Simple idea, just tastefully applied.

Thats a valid point from a practical point of view, it would restrict fighting movement a fair bit. Something like the Wolf armor from W3 is probably the sweet spot, like a studded leather jacket almost, offering fair protection but allowing a lot more movement.

Ah well I hope we get a trailer soonish to see what we will actually be getting live action.

They really put a lot of effort into them in 3 but 2 had some really nice outfits too, of course technology had moved on since that game but there was some real attention to detail in them. Even the default armor was class in 3:

The default armor was a cool design, and I did like the Viper armor because it was like a modified version of the base armor.

Well keep in mind a few things. That's the artwork for the Ursine armor. The Ursine armor is designed more for heavy defense and protection. Also, that's the higher grade craft.

The earlier builds for the Witcher school sets don't have as much metal, plating chainmail and look like they'd offer more comfort and mobility.

Now if you look at the Cat school gear, this is like an armor that's clearly more suited for better movement and agility. It's a light armor class and not as heavy as the Ursine gear in the game.

felinesetactual.jpg

I was talking specifically about the bear set. It's too heavy for a book witcher. Technically, stuff that Geralt wears in the screen test is more correct, but, at least in that footage, it just doesn't looks as interesting visually as game sets.

I believe Manticore, Feline, maybe the default or early Wolf sets - stuff that book Geralt would wear on a contract. Not counting some unique cases that require special equipment. Bear outfit seems to be a great outfit for traveling in cold areas.

But my favorite is Manticore. It's not too fancy, something a witcher could afford, but still visually interesting and practical.

1e9d8320c18122d777f1c36879f756101d178620_00.jpg

Last edited:
I was talking specifically about the bear set. It's too heavy for a book witcher. Technically, stuff that Geralt wears in the screen test is more correct, but, at least in that footage, it just doesn't looks as interesting visually as game sets.

I believe Manticore, Feline, maybe the default or early Wolf sets - stuff that book Geralt would wear on a contract. Not counting some unique cases that require special equipment. Bear outfit seems to be a great outfit for traveling in cold areas.

But my favorite is Manticore. It's not too fancy, something a witcher could offer, but still visually interesting and practical.

1e9d8320c18122d777f1c36879f756101d178620_00.jpg

Yes I'm in full agreement. I do like the Manticore sets a lot as well. But I hope his final look is an improvement over what we saw in the screentest.

I hope we see this in the tv series down the line...

I’ve never played the game or read the books but given how big Henry Cavill got for the role, does his character use a more barbarian or beast-like all out assault fighting style? Like what kind of fighting style does Geralt use?

I’ve never played the game or read the books but given how big Henry Cavill got for the role, does his character use a more barbarian or beast-like all out assault fighting style? Like what kind of fighting style does Geralt use?

He's described as one of the best swordsmen around and in the game he is quick and agile, not really brute strength and ignorance, Cavill does look a bit big for the role as he's not really a muscle bound freak more of a athletic build, especially in the games, but then this is based on the books.

He's described as one of the best swordsmen around and in the game he is quick and agile, not really brute strength and ignorance, Cavill does look a bit big for the role as he's not really a muscle bound freak more of a athletic build, especially in the games, but then this is based on the books.

Cool thanks for the explanation! I’ve seen some fame footage and the design aspects look fantastic! The novels must be pretty good. Will add them to my list

Cool thanks for the explanation! I’ve seen some fame footage and the design aspects look fantastic! The novels must be pretty good. Will add them to my list

Read the short stories and the first 3 novels of the main saga, very solid read so far. The short stories seem to be the most like the games. I would at least try the short stories, as that fills a lot more in on the background character of Geralt more so than the saga, where he got nicknames and scars from etc.

So footage has leaked of Toby Sebastian reading for the role of Duny. The Witcher Netflix subreddit says the woman reading Queen Calanthe in his screentest is Florence Pugh (Black Widow, Fighting With My Family). I won't post it here but it's on The Witcher Netflix subreddit.

Last edited:
Never say never.

I mean yes it is in this case. They are adapting the books. That design was done for the games, and they don't have the rights for it.

I think there are a lot of fans of the games who aren't going to understand the differences when it comes to the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"