Netflix's 13 REASONS WHY

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by Sawyer, Mar 1, 2017.

1. DrCosmic Professor of Power

Saw this. Perhaps I'm out of touch, but these kids were strangely adult like in their priorities and freedom. I still enjoyed it, but made it hard for the core message to hit home.

2. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

There was a lot of tattoos for 17/18 year olds. You have to be 18 or have parents permission to get a tattoo if your under 18 in a lot of places. When I was that age only a handful of people had tattoos and only had one or two at the most.

3. scarlet-witch Stormborn

You're doing an awful lot of victim blaming here. Saying "all the kids are crazy" and he was "caught in the middle." He was a bad counselor. "You can't help those who don't want to be helped" is such a generalization. You can try, and he didn't. He did the bare minimum. He resorted to victim blaming and half assed listening. He's paid to listen to these kids and try to help them and he barely tried.

4. Darkness Falls We Could Be Heroes.....

as someone who is dealing with mental health and was bullied at school
    i have to say this show hit pretty hard

5. kaypain Registered

I'm victim blaming her because she victim blamed a rape victim
    [​IMG]agree to disagree

If she really wanted to be save why go there with a mic to record him. What's the agenda? She already made up her mind.

what would you have done different? Have better intuition to read her mind? Let me guess you would have ran after her?

If people wanna act like Hannah didn't make wrong decisions then I don't know what to tell you.

Who does that to a rape victim tho? How messed is it to find you been raped on a suicide tape and it's part of the reason why she killed herself. How twisted is that?

It's ****ed up man. Hannah was ****ed up

I hope Jessica doesn't do anything regrettable

6. BatsDC Side-Kicker

I'm enjoying this, have a few issues with the way they're approaching mental health but it is a very powerful and moving show. Makes you think.

7. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

If I knew someone was a rapist at the very least I would steer clear of them.

8. BatsDC Side-Kicker

Just finished this. Pretty moving last episode. Still have a few problems with how they actually portrayed mental health issues but all in all I think it was a pretty good series. Hopefully it does raise some sort of awareness for the issues it covers

9. Spider-Aziz Vegeta Pose Toshi

This title makes me guess it will be one reason an episode, in the span of 13 episodes.

10. kaypain Registered

No doubt the school counselor maybe could have paid more attention but IMO if we're gonna do that then the parents should have been on the ****ing tapes too. Clay's mom was on his ass as soon as he started acting weird. Yeah, Hannah's parents dropped the ball big time.

11. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Hannah's parents were going through struggles of their own that clearly meant they missed some warning signs but I never got a sense they were not open to listening to Hannah if she came to them with her problems. It's not like she had bad neglectful parents like Justin Foley.

12. scarlet-witch Stormborn

I can definitely agree to disagree :) but to answer your question.

If I were in the counselor's chair, I would listen, I would ask more questions, I would do everything in my power to get her to give me the necessary information about a rape. Not everyone opens up but the whole point of a counselor is to try. I would've kept trying. Hannah said herself she was trying to give life a chance. Her recording was just in case, and I got that.

I don't think Hannah is perfect. I felt for Jessica having to listen to what happened that night but that's nowhere near as bad as what Justin did. I got the sense that Jessica already questioned what happened that night, so I don't think hearing it came completely out of the blue. It probably gave her some clarity. It isn't right, but I'm not ready to paint Hannah as the worst person in this story over it.

13. TheFuture Valar Dohaeris

There are parts of the show that are far fetched (and I'm sure that's a symptom of the source material rather than anything the show necessarily did wrong itself) but it's so well acted and moving that the show has really resonated with me.

Maybe it's depiction of mental health hasn't been perfect but there's one scene in particular in the last few episodes that actually brought me to tears simply because I've seen it myself in other people and lived it in a way. That scene alone makes the show one of the bravest I've seen in terms of tackling mental health.

14. scarlet-witch Stormborn

Which one?

For me the one that rang really true was when she was standing in the hall towards the end of the series and everyone was walking around her like she was merely a wall fixture or some object. It really brought her loneliness to the front.

15. TheFuture Valar Dohaeris

Yeah my heart broke for her when even Clay rejected her and she stood alone in the hallway.

For me it was when she was finally having her happy moment with Clay but even that was destroyed by what she had been through. It was just awful to see her hurt manifest like that. Everything from her reaction to how she described it on tape to Clay was so painfully real.

16. scarlet-witch Stormborn

That one was really hard too :(

17. TheFuture Valar Dohaeris

I watched the last two episodes last night and felt while some scenes were excellent, the overall resolution of the story didn't feel right. It almost felt like setting up a possible second season took precedence over bringing things to the right end.

The story peaked with Clay's tape for me and the air just kind of escaped from there.

It was such a worthwhile story to tell though and I'd be really curious to see how people who are hard towards bullying and suicide would react to this. Unfortunately I know people like Marcus and Courtney who will minimalise their role in someone else's tragedy even to the point of further sullying a person's name. People like that I have such a low opinion of.

18. Kaleb 2010 & 2018 SHHFFL Champion

19. BatsDC Side-Kicker

20. Daltonio Avi Arad's Sidekick

Absolutely loved the first season. But it's so stupid that they're doing another season. It was perfect as a one and done.

21. Paradox1 Registered

I'm conflicted by this news of a second season while I enjoyed it.They solved the premise of the show.

22. TeeKay Registered

Yes but there was loose ends.

23. Darkness Falls We Could Be Heroes.....

this is how i feel

24. Kaleb 2010 & 2018 SHHFFL Champion

[BLACKOUT]My wife just finished watching the 1st season and she seems to think that season 2 will involve a school shooting as they seemed to hint at it in the final episode[/BLACKOUT]

25. TheFuture Valar Dohaeris

Wouldn't be surprised if they brought back Katherine Langford as Hannah in either someone's delusions or in dream like sequences.

Tbh the show just wouldn't be the same without her presence.