Netflix's 13 REASONS WHY

Anyone sees season 2 yet? Is it good?

It was only ok for me. Cast is strong again but some poor story choices were made such as how heavily Katherine Langford was involved again when she didn't really need to be, and imo a really poor use of Tony.

It's worth a watch but I've no idea where the cast goes from here for a 3rd season. Story was stretched way too thin here.

I'm... mixed.

I actually think they made pretty good use of Hannah, at least when I take into consideration how I thought they were going to use her this season. When they announced new cast members, my fear was that they would pull a "HERE IS HOW HANNAH INTERACTED WITH THESE KIDS that we'll somehow consider worthwhile even though they weren't relevant enough to include on the tapes". Using the flashbacks to fill in certain blanks with certain characters, challenging her POV as a (somewhat) unreliable narrator, and also using her to work out Clay's unresolved feelings were all the right play.

Clay, however, I feel like they made into a bit of a *****e this season. He had a few slip-ups last season, but overall, his heart was in the right place. Now he's pushing Jessica to testify, when last season, he made it clear that he'd do whatever she wanted with the tapes. He's acting possessive over Hannah and practically s***-shaming her for having a romantic past. He became a bit self-centered. On the other hand, I think the Clay/Justin relationship might be my favorite part of the season, and at least slightly redeemed him.

Tony... yeah, I don't know what that was. The whole thing of being afraid that beating the **** out of a homophobe might come back to haunt him was just an unnecessary wrinkle IMO. Especially considering he barely got any quality time with Clay this time around.

And the Tyler of it all, I'm a bit split on. On the one hand, it was well-performed, very disturbing, and almost what I would consider to be the "Hannah" story of the season, where it starts out well enough and then just gets worse and worse until things explode. But on the other, I'm not sure I understand why they needed to put him through all that hell just to get him to the point where it was pretty heavily implied at the end of S1 that he already was.

In fact, I think they could've kicked the season off with the shooting actually going down, Bryce either being killed or catastrophically injured, and the whole of the season being that his family/the school is striking back against the "smears" against their son/star athlete.

I don't know. I can't say with complete certainty that this season was entirely necessary or that it would've been better for the show to have just been a one-off. I'm just very mixed.

Just finished the season and it pissed me the hell off.

For the most part I was really enjoying it up until the last 2 episodes where I feel like I experienced whip lash and absolutely zero payoff to anything. This is more depressing then a Joss Whedon show.

I just binge watched both seasons over the last 4 days. That was a lot to take in especially with this subject matter. As someone who gets easily anxious, I probably wouldn’t recommend watching this show so fast. I felt season 1 was better than season 2 overall. But the second season definitely had its moments like Clay working through his anger and guilt through imaginary conversations with Hannah and also the Clay/Justin friendship. I have a feeling I will be thinking about this show for a while. It kind of messed with my head.

Also the scene in the last episode with Mrs Baker showing Clay Hannah’s list of reasons why not...that wrecked me.

Last edited:
I just read that Katherine Langford won’t be back for season 3 if Netflix renews the show. While I agree that Hannah’s story was wrapped up in season 2 (some could argue season 1), I don’t know if I would want to continue watching the show without her. I feel like they could have wrapped up the entire series in the season 2 finale (provided that they skip the Tyler storyline). Season 2 (while not as great as season 1 IMO) was important to show Clay coming to term with Hannah’s death and moving on. It would have been nice if they ended the show with the memorial scene and not end with a cliffhanger.

They overused her in season 2. I can see why, she's great, but we didn't need her in Clay's visions.

The biggest writing problems for me were
The retcon of the Hannah/Zach relationship. I don't believe that wouldn't have made it in his tape, and I don't buy keeping it secret. I get they wanted to show Hannah happy but they didn't need to do it in a way that completely contradicts S1. Zach tells Clay he knew Hannah better than anyone...uh, not really. Apparently you did.

Hannah being a bully at her old school served no purpose other than another opportunity for the DA to act like a dick.

Then Tyler. It's not enough that they used the school shooting AGAIN for a cliffhanger but having him raped was unnecessary and the way it was shot was completely gratuitous. Tyler already had a reason to be angry and this show once again used rape as a tipping point when IMO they didn't need to here.

It almost would've been a better show if Tyler had went through with the shooting, lived, and the trial was focused on how the school failed both he and Hannah.

Clay is probably my least favourite character on the show. I think everyone in the show is portrayed as being way more tolerant of his behaviour than most people would be in real life.

Clay was a *****e to Justin most the season

The "I'm not a rapist, I just want to play baseball" kid was funny. He would just randomly pop up every now and again.

Bryce outcome felt very similar to the brock turner situation.

Bryce and the kid that assaulted Tyler had some serious sociopath vibes at timed.

I was mixed about the Hannah and Zach relationship. While it came as a shock at first, after thinking about it for some time, I thought it was nice that Hannah had a stable relationship with someone even for a short amount of time. Plus those scenes brought a nice levity to a depressing season overall. It was a nice change of pace and it was good to see Hannah happy for once.

I think if they wanted to show Hannah happy, they should've shown more scenes of her and Clay together. Zach was such a retrofit. He even tells Clay in S1 that "you know Hannah better than anyone." But clearly it's him that knows the most.

True, I would have preferred more Hannah/Clay scenes for the happy moments

Honestly I am kind of pretending that the second season never happed. It doesn't move the series forward in any way what so ever IMO and really does nothing and gives no justice to Hannah and her family expect for dragging her name through the dirt. It really was just pointless.

I think this season would've been more interesting had Tyler went through with his shooting, and what happened to him became part of Hannah's trial. How the school failed to help either student.

I think this season would've been more interesting had Tyler went through with his shooting, and what happened to him became part of Hannah's trial. How the school failed to help either student.
You would never see a show be that bold to go through with that given what has happened here in the US this year.

Show got renewed for season 3. Given how last season ended, this is a mistake morally.

Show got renewed for season 3. Given how last season ended, this is a mistake morally.

I feared they would do that… End this Show. The title has Nothing to do with the series anymore.
There is no way they dont use the Chance to put Clay innocent in the Prison for the tried attack of Tyler.
They should end with Season 2. There were lot of episodes, who became very boring and in the end I rolled eyes everytime I saw Hanna.

Oh man. Season 2 had the perfect ending minus the Tyler subplot. The show won’t be the same without Katherine Langford but I’ll probably still end up watching it.

Ugh. S2 pissed me off royally but ill probably check it out because I hate myself.

I just binged watched both seasons. Season 2 had some disappointing elements however I didn’t hate it. It’s strange that after season 1 I kind of hated Hannah, but season 2 brought me back around and I’m glad some characters got fleshed out.

i'll still watch it but katherine langford not being part of it is a big loss

Katherine was so good in S1, but due to a combination of being over used and poorly used in S2 I'm cool with her not being a part of S3.

Only chance the show has of improving is by, ironically, moving on from Hannah's death. They laid the foundation for some interesting plot points to be expanded upon in S3 so the show can survive without Katherine as long as the writing is up to scratch.

My main two requests would be that they expand upon Alex and Zach's friendship and that they re-establish the friendship of Tony and Clay. Tony deserves better than his relationships being the focal point of his storylines.

I’m fine with the story moving past Hannah. There’s some great interesting characters that they can work with. I already love the Clay/Justin relationship. And I want to see more of Sheri. (who just disappeared in the last episode wtf was that?)

Just finished the emotional rollercoaster of season one. I'm going to need a break for season two if I even bother. :(

Just finished the emotional rollercoaster of season one. I'm going to need a break for season two if I even bother. :(

Yeah I would definitely recommend the break. I binged both seasons over 3-4 days and regret not taking some time between seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"