New Compound Causes Cancer Cell Suicide

jaguarr

Be Your Own Hero
Reaction score
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa003&articleID=00050D07-6D22-14EF-AD2283414B7F0000

Suicide is the regular mode of cell death. When cells reach the end of their useful life, internal mechanisms kick in and the cell automatically perishes, a process known as apoptosis. But in cancer cells this mechanism has often been genetically disabled or otherwise broken, allowing tumors to proliferate. Now researchers have found a way to reactivate programmed cell death and thereby treat cancer. In preparation for apoptosis, a chain of chemical events takes place in the cell. Near the end, the chemical procaspase-3 is activated. This chemical then transforms into caspase-3--an executioner enzyme that terminates the cell. Chemist Paul Hergenrother of the University of Illinois and an international team of colleagues realized that a compound that activated procaspase-3 might be effective in killing cancer, because many tumors show elevated levels of procaspase despite their inability to complete apoptosis. After screening 20,500 related molecules for this activation ability, the researchers narrowed it down to four likely candidates. Of these, only one showed an increasingly strong effect with increased doses: newly named procaspase activating compound, or PAC-1. "We have identified a small, synthetic compound that directly activates procaspase-3 and induces apoptosis," Hergenrother says. "By bypassing the broken pathway, we can use the cells' own machinery to destroy them."

The researchers tested the efficacy of PAC-1 on colon cancer cells (pictured above) from 23 patients. The tumors had elevated levels of procaspase-3 averaging roughly eight times as much as normal colon cells and proved more sensitive to the compound. In one case, the cancerous cells were 2,000 times more sensitive to PAC-1's enforced apoptosis than were surrounding regular cells due to their increased expression of the enzyme. Further tests in mice proved effective in treating grafted human kidney- and lung-cancer cells, and those results also indicated that PAC-1's strength correlated with procaspase-3 levels in the various cancer cells. "The potential effectiveness of compounds such as PAC-1 could be predicted in advance and patients could be selected for treatment based on the amount of procaspase-3 found in their tumor cells," Hergenrother adds. Nature Chemical Biology published the paper presenting the finding online yesterday

This is great news. First the potential AIDS vaccine, and now this. :up:

jag

man i wish MR Reeve was still alive and we had the Stem Cell Research Carried on

I'll be curious to see exactly how specific they can get a compound like this to target cancer cells. Could lead to a whole new age of cancer "smart drugs".

jag

jaguarr said:
I'll be curious to see exactly how specific they can get a compound like this to target cancer cells. Could lead to a whole new age of cancer "smart drugs".

jag

Magic bullets are notoriously difficult to make effective Jag as your use of the term smart drugs indicates you realise, normally "tagging" is the best method for specicifity, although that depends on having a specifically active receptor on the membrane to tag.

- Whirly

Whirlysplat said:
Magic bullets are notoriously difficult to make effective Jag as your use of the term smart drugs indicates you realise, normally "tagging" is the best method for specicifity, although that depends on having a specifically active receptor on the membrane to tag.

- Whirly

Yep, I'm aware of the difficulties specificity in medications present. Still, something like this would be a much better (and beneficial) approach to cancer treatment than the A-Bomb approach that's used currently. Instead of using a drug that targets and kills off EVERY cell that was exposed to it like most of the chemotherapy drugs in use today, it would target and kill only the cancerous cells. That would lead to less risk of infection, less impact on the CNS and immune system and less weakening of the patient so they could fight the disease.

jag

I thought Chuck Norris' tears cured cancer...

Malice said:
I thought Chuck Norris' tears cured cancer...

I volunteer YOU to go make him cry and then collect his tears for research, then. :)

jag

jaguarr said:
I volunteer YOU to go make him cry and then collect his tears for research, then. :)

jag

Yes yes, I know...we will never be able to make Chuck cry so we must find alternative sources of cancer cures...

As is the problem with most cancer treatments, this will be too expensive for the majority.

Being a cancer survivor myself, this is great news.
I'd never wish the things i had to go through on anyone.

Bone Marrow transplants, Spinal Taps, Surgery for tumor removal, had part of one of my vertebrae removed,radiation therapy, chemotherapy....

All of this when i was just 13... :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"