New Matrix Movie in the Works with Drew Goddard Writing, Directing

Awful. The point of The Matrix is it's a super personal work for the Wachowski's and Goddard is a hack, a moderately competent screenwriter but just a completely rank director. Hopefully this never gets made.

I'm not even a big fan of most of the Wachowski's work but there's literally no point in The Matrix without them, it's not just some rando IP - it is a series of movies based around an extremely specific voice.

I've loved every Matrix movie. Even Resurrections, and while I know that movie was essentially mocking this sort of thing, I still think that world is ripe for more stories. That being said, the Wachowskies not being involved feels weird. It's so linked with them personally. As a Matrix fan though overall, Im excited. I love that world.

Last edited:
I'm of two minds about this:

The Matrix is a big time franchise so while this feels unnecessary, we had to have known they'd make another sequel with or without the Wachowskis. Secondly, Resurrections wasn't my cup of tea, but for some odd reason I'm not killing an idea for another movie in my mind's eye.

The original Matrix was phenomenal. But after what she did with the fourth film I wouldn't really want her around the franchise anymore, at least not in a front and centre role. And I don't particularly care all that much for 2 and 3 either to be honest. If they absolutely have to make more films, which I rather they didn't, I prefer someone new who might have something fresh or interesting to offer.

Basically me reading the news:

Matrix 5 in the works

Britney-Spears-Cringe-Face.gif

with Drew Goddard set to direct.

giphy.gif

I would take the worst possible Matrix movie by the Wachowski's over any other director touching the property just on principle. Just another example of disgustingly mining every possible Big Name for Content.

Actually hilarious to actively reduce Matrix to just a Brand when the previous movie was entirely about what a disgusting, vapid idea that is. I'm not even a huge Matrix fan but it is a series with an enormous amount of integrity based around a strong authorial voice - no interest in it being boiled down to be part of the unending pot of content soup.

If they really want to put some asses in the theater, do a live action version of The Second Renaissance.

Wanted that for years.

The original Matrix was phenomenal. But after what she did with the fourth film I wouldn't really want her around the franchise anymore, at least not in a front and centre role. And I don't particularly care all that much for 2 and 3 either to be honest. If they absolutely have to make more films, which I rather they didn't, I prefer someone new who might have something fresh or interesting to offer.

Basically me reading the news:

Matrix 5 in the works

Britney-Spears-Cringe-Face.gif

with Drew Goddard set to direct.

giphy.gif
That's my feeling exactly. New Matrix film? Not that exciting.

Oh wait, Drew Goddard is directing? Now you have my attention.

Drew Goddard is a truly awful combination. His movies feel like both store brand Whedon and store brand Tarantino. A total I Can't Believe It's Not Butter filmmaker. He's a basically competent Fine screenwriter but as a director he's pretty execrable.

Can't say this sounds exciting. The Matrix and Wachowskis go together. This just feels wrong on so many levels.

No interest. Unlike most, I like Reloaded and Revolutions. I like those movies a lot. But I hated Resurrections. Awful movie, and again same issue with all these nostalgia sequels many years after the fact. I even like Drew Goddard, but at this point I cannot get invested in more mediocre/bad sequels to once great movies/franchises. All the power to all yall who will be hyped for this, but I just cannot bother to get excited for most of these. Maybe if reviews and buzz are super positive, I will start to care. But as of now....just let these franchises go Hollywood. Build up new things or build on franchises that are hot now, stop parading around these dead franchises like they're Bernie from Weekend at Bernie's.

I would take the worst possible Matrix movie by the Wachowski's over any other director touching the property just on principle. Just another example of disgustingly mining every possible Big Name for Content.

Actually hilarious to actively reduce Matrix to just a Brand when the previous movie was entirely about what a disgusting, vapid idea that is. I'm not even a huge Matrix fan but it is a series with an enormous amount of integrity based around a strong authorial voice - no interest in it being boiled down to be part of the unending pot of content soup.
And yet it already had become a brand where it shouldn't have, with three unnecessary sequels. :oldrazz: The last one of which was absolute garbage.

For me it's like with Alien. Ridley created it and to this day he still has made the best one. But he obviously couldn't offer anything interesting when he came back so I'm glad more people are giving this a try. Again, only if someone absolutely must. Ideally I'd prefer they could stop milking every successful movie or series of movies and give more chances to original stuff.

Also I don't get the hate on Goddard that's been going on in the last few years at all. I loved Bad Times and Cabin in the Woods was also pretty damn good and original for its genre. Let's also not forget that he wrote Cloverfield and Martian and that he created/developed and written Daredevil before DeKnight took over in the first season. He's very much a big reason why that show came out like that.

And yet it already had become a brand where it shouldn't have, with three unnecessary sequels. :oldrazz: The last one of which was absolute garbage.

For me it's like with Alien. Ridley created it and to this day he still has made the best one. But he obviously couldn't offer anything interesting when he came back so I'm glad more people are giving this a try. Again, only if someone absolutely must. Ideally I'd prefer they could stop milking every successful movie or series of movies and give more chances to original stuff.

Also I don't get the hate on Goddard that's been going on in the last few years at all. I loved Bad Times and Cabin in the Woods was also pretty damn good and original for its genre. Let's also not forget that he wrote Cloverfield and Martian and that he created/developed and written Daredevil before DeKnight took over in the first season. He's very much a big reason why that show came out like that.
Which, hey, I actually probably like more than the original movie even if it objectively isn't as good. So that's where we differ :funny:.

Whether it is a "brand" because of the sequels or not is kind of a moot point because they are a lot of things, many of them bad, but what they are not is assembly line corporate IP trash. They're idiosyncratic, personal movies about things the creators care deeply about. Resurrections in particular.

My thing is what R word do you pair it with?

The Matrix Revisited
The Matrix Returns

Part of what makes me love The Matrix as a franchise is how different it is to many other franchises. The Wachowskis really made the sequels unique and interesting and while the original is on a level of its own, I still like Reloaded and Revolutions and I appreciated that Resurrections was not your average legacy bait sequel.

This just feels like "hey lets make a soulless cash grab!"

Part of what makes me love The Matrix as a franchise is how different it is to many other franchises. The Wachowskis really made the sequels unique and interesting and while the original is on a level of its own, I still like Reloaded and Revolutions and I appreciated that Resurrections was not your average legacy bait sequel.

This just feels like "hey lets make a soulless cash grab!"
It's so funny and so inevitable that this happened after the original creator made a movie literally about how a movie like this would be a terrible idea.

It's so funny and so inevitable that this happened after the original creator made a movie literally about how a movie like this would be a terrible idea.
I get why Resurrections is divisive and not everything about it worked for me, however a lot of the meta commentary about soulless cash grabs and running franchises into the ground were spot on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"