New Movies Underperforming Could Lead To Higher Prices

D

deathzhand

According to Boxofficemojo, Miami Vice made 8.7 million Friday and The Ant Bully made only 2.6 million. By the end of this weekend, Vice will have around 25 million and Ant Bully will struggle to get about 8 million. This has been a trend this year starting with Mission Impossible 3 and all of Warner Bros. big movies have underperformed dramatically this year (Poseidon, which had a budget of about $150 million, Superman and now Bully.)

IMO budgets are getting too high for the grosses to sustain. Miami Vice will end up making about 100 million domestically but it carried a price tag of 130-150 mil,only a few yrs ago a movie like this would cost about 60-80 mil. If this trend continues, then moviegoers will be handed the bill by further increasing already high ticket prices.

Warner execs must be dumbfounded that all their supposed blockbusters failed miserably. The only thing they now how to market is Harry Potter.

Is this your own limited speculation or do you actually have some kind of source to back this up with? Because that'd be a really bad idea since ****ty movies is what's causing the box office to be stagnant.

Such lovely commentary, did you read my post? I said "if the trend continues" as in future tense. I agree the movies are sub-par.

Well movie prices have already gone up to $8 near me. And I have said before if they get to $10 where I live I will see less movies and most only on dvd. Really Hate the way movies are beening made now large budgets don't make good movies all the time.

deathzhand said:
According to Boxofficemojo, Miami Vice made 8.7 million Friday and The Ant Bully made only 2.6 million. By the end of this weekend, Vice will have around 25 million and Ant Bully will struggle to get about 8 million. This has been a trend this year starting with Mission Impossible 3 and all of Warner Bros. big movies have underperformed dramatically this year (Poseidon, which had a budget of about $150 million, Superman and now Bully.)

IMO budgets are getting too high for the grosses to sustain. Miami Vice will end up making about 100 million domestically but it carried a price tag of 130-150 mil,only a few yrs ago a movie like this would cost about 60-80 mil. If this trend continues, then moviegoers will be handed the bill by further increasing already high ticket prices.

Warner execs must be dumbfounded that all their supposed blockbusters failed miserably. The only thing they now how to market is Harry Potter.

You could be right. Hollywood is slowly killing themselves. People arn't going out to the theaters for two reasons. 1. The Movies arn't as good 2. The Prices keep going up. Hollywood needs to take a look whats happening and change some stuff.

Personally, I really haven't noticed a deline in quality overall with movies. High budgets, high ticket prices, and low DVD prices are the key problems, I think.

who says the movies coming out today aren't as good? for every "little man" that comes out, we have something like "the fountain" to counteract it's crappiness. and then all the entertaining inbetween movies like the pirates and the supermans and what have you.

the problem, in my opinion, is that hollywood is flooding the market. there are so many movies out right now that even me, a movie lover, can't and won't make time for even half of them. half of the planet just shelled out $20 to go see pirates (i'm rounding up because of snacks), and another $20 for superman, and whatevver other movies... you can't expect everyone to go out again to see lady in the water, then miami vice, then the ant bullly, then my super ex girlfriend... that's way to many movies to expect to have a big box office take.

the pie doesn't split that many ways without everyone getting a smaller and smaller piece.

Mr. Credible said:
who says the movies coming out today aren't as good? for every "little man" that comes out, we have something like "the fountain" to counteract it's crappiness. and then all the entertaining inbetween movies like the pirates and the supermans and what have you.

the problem, in my opinion, is that hollywood is flooding the market. there are so many movies out right now that even me, a movie lover, can't and won't make time for even half of them. half of the planet just shelled out $20 to go see pirates (i'm rounding up because of snacks), and another $20 for superman, and whatevver other movies... you can't expect everyone to go out again to see lady in the water, then miami vice, then the ant bullly, then my super ex girlfriend... that's way to many movies to expect to have a big box office take.

the pie doesn't split that many ways without everyone getting a smaller and smaller piece.

Wow, Ive never thought of that but your very correct! Good job.

I think the flooding of the market is a very good reason. And I think it's a main one of many. Hollywood is producing too much at too substantial a budget for each one. In turn, they charge the theatres more for the rights to show them and then the snowball gets bigger when it gets down to us.

I also think that with DVD's coming out sooner and sooner, people will only go see the movie if it looks good enough to shell out the inane amount of money that theatres are charging. We have Netflix, and we only usually go see big event movies at the theatre and leave the smaller ones for DVD to get there or buy. And when we do go, we only go to matinees.

I really don't think it would be a good idea for Hollywood to force the theatre to charge more when business and demand is less. Hollywood isn't known for logical thinking, but that would be like cutting off your own balls. No, what they ought to do is start making better movies with less money. It's possible. And large budgets seem to affect the minds of producers anyway. They tend to throw in special effects in place of story. The Matrix trilogy is a prime example. The first was made on a modest budget and was well received, the last two were big budgets and were not so well received. They spent more time on the fighting than the story. It seems that they'll throw large budgets at movies with no regard for quality and it's coming back to bite them. I thought this day would never come, but the movie-going audience is getting fickle. I hope it sends the right message.

Some of the probelm is dvds and priates but the rest of it are the films them selfs, you have these huge films coming out with loads of promotion shoving it in your face and not doing very well, then you have something that is semi low budget with an sometimes an un-known cast doing fantsticaly well (then they go and **** it up with a ****ty sequel) take pitch black for example or the matrix

Poetic Chaos said:
$8? psh. Fuggin' at least $9.25 everywhere in NorCal.
Yeah, its a ***** up here. But higher prices are just going to lead to less profits. More and more people are waiting for DVD these days, and I cant blame them. Go the first week and end up paying at least $30 for the entire family (or at least that much between you and a date) or wait 5 months and watch it for a $5 rental?

What we need is theater reform. Most theaters are ****ty nowadays.

$7-9=One viewing with noisy *******s

$20-25=Many viewings with no *******s

Orko Is King said:
What we need is theater reform. Most theaters are ****ty nowadays.

$7-9=One viewing with noisy *******s

$20-25=Many viewings with no *******s
we really do.
there are about 20 movie theaters in my area, and only two are good, they are both AMC.
There really should be a reform on ticket prices.

It's $9.75 here for a movie in Massachussetts,I always go for the matinee show for $6.75. It's $11.50 for an IMAX show.

deathzhand said:

Its not the budgets. Its the movies themselves. Most of those films are pretty bad. PotC cost over 255 million to produce... its performing phenomenally. I dunno, it seems to me that Hollywood is blaming US for thier shortfalls when they should be looking in the mirror. We dont want to watch ****ty movies. Period.

deathzhand said:

Galactus said:
Year-to-date comparison

Total box office numbers between 1 January and 27 July

2006: $5 435,5 million
2005: $5 163,5 million
2004: $5 675,4 million
2003: $5 331 million
2002: $5 352,1 million

The Box-Office this year is not underperforming, it's doing quite well. Where some big movies have failed, others have done great, which is the same every single year.

10 dollars here in SoCal...thats if you go to a decent theatre with stadium seating...other theatres average between 8 and 9.50.

Um... I don't buy this logic. "Not enough people are buying movie tickets." "Hm, I know, let's increase the price! That'll get more people to buy."

:confused:

whose decision is it to raise the ticket price...and if theatre chains and owners don't comply...whats the big deal?

JLBats said:
Um... I don't buy this logic. "Not enough people are buying movie tickets." "Hm, I know, let's increase the price! That'll get more people to buy."

:confused:

Logic is not a common quality found in people who run stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"