New Movies Underperforming Could Lead To Higher Prices

Stewie Griffin said:
Its not the budgets. Its the movies themselves. Most of those films are pretty bad. PotC cost over 255 million to produce... its performing phenomenally. I dunno, it seems to me that Hollywood is blaming US for thier shortfalls when they should be looking in the mirror. We dont want to watch ****ty movies. Period.
But is there any proof that that's the case? I just don't see it personally.

Last year we had good movies, with good professional and amateur critical reaction to averagely (Batman Begins, King Kong, and, to a lesser extent, War of the Worlds), and had pretty much downright bad movie (Fantastic Four) turn into a success.

This year it's the same thing - X3, Da Vinci Code didn't get any good buzz from anyone really, yet they're still making money, while movies like MI3 and Superman Returns - who generally are thought of positively - are tanking. It just doesn't make sense.

Fanticon said:
whose decision is it to raise the ticket price...and if theatre chains and owners don't comply...whats the big deal?

Then the studios don't give them the movies, then the movie theaters don't make money from people buying candy and soda.

Spidey-Bat said:
Then the studios don't give them the movies, then the movie theaters don't make money from people buying candy and soda.

Exactly.

Bill said:
The Matrix trilogy is a prime example. The first was made on a modest budget and was well received, the last two were big budgets and were not so well received.
are you crazy?

matrix budget:63mil
it made:374mil worldwide....

matrix2 budget:150mil
it made:737mil worldwide...

matrix3 budget: 150mil...
it made:412mil worldwide...

the matrix sequels were anything but flops:down

Reloaded did do fantastic numbers.

Revolutions not so much. :o It couldn't even make its budget back domestically. That's not quite a flop. But not at all a success.

Movie prices don't bother me at all. The only thing keeping me from going is other people. EVERY TIME I have been to the movies in the last 4 years has been terrible experiences. All because people feel the need to talk for some reason. No matter how many times I tell them to shut up it never gets through to them. They just keep yapping. Thats why I never go any more. Unless I REALLY want to see it. Even then I still consider. Because I could esily wait 5-6 months for the DVD. And enjoy it in peace and quiet.

Darth Elektra said:
I only pay 7.25 or 7.50, Depending which theater I go too.
Go to AmStar in Anderson between 4 and 6, it's only $4 :eek: :up:

I pay like $9.75. The theater isn't even that great. I think they should have headsets at every seat that let you hear the movie with no distractions. Although I wouldn't really like the idea of wearing a headset some fatso used previously.

xwolverine2 said:
are you crazy?

matrix budget:63mil
it made:374mil worldwide....

matrix2 budget:150mil
it made:737mil worldwide...

matrix3 budget: 150mil...
it made:412mil worldwide...

the matrix sequels were anything but flops:down

sadly they both were ****. reloaded was the worst film ive ever seen in theatres and i only saw 3 when a friend brought it on dvd and insisted we watched it. what garbage. the first was ok but overrated, and the sequels just plummeted quality wise. at least the first was entertaining sort of.

Im satisfied my favourite movie of this year, by far, x3 did great though :up:

Mr. Credible hit the nail on the head.

1) We have too many movies coming out every week especially during the summer. 4 releases a week!

2) Movies aren't in the theaters as long as they use to be.

3) Even a big blockbuster like Star Wars can't stay #1 at the movies for longer than 2-3 weeks. Even 3 weeks are pushing it.

4) DVDs are coming out 6 months after the movie is released in the theaters. Why go to the movies for a movie I only half want to see when it will be out in a few months?

5) Before cable, vhs and dvd rental, movies were the only way to well see a movie. Now add the internet and people have alternatives to going to see a movie on a friday night.

6) The cost of movies keeps going up.

I think it's a mixture of all these making it tough for a lot of movies nowadays.

Horrorfan said:
sadly they both were ****. reloaded was the worst film ive ever seen in theatres and i only saw 3 when a friend brought it on dvd and insisted we watched it. what garbage. the first was ok but overrated, and the sequels just plummeted quality wise. at least the first was entertaining sort of.

Im satisfied my favourite movie of this year, by far, x3 did great though :up:
thats not what the numbers say....

even though 3 had a big drop...it still did fantastic!

i personally LOVED the whole trilogy. the wachowskys are gold.

xwolverine2 said:
thats not what the numbers say....

even though 3 had a big drop...it still did fantastic!

i personally LOVED the whole trilogy. the wachowskys are gold.

But you liked Ultraviolet too :p

Stewie Griffin said:
Its not the budgets. Its the movies themselves. Most of those films are pretty bad. PotC cost over 255 million to produce... its performing phenomenally. I dunno, it seems to me that Hollywood is blaming US for thier shortfalls when they should be looking in the mirror. We dont want to watch ****ty movies. Period.

amen:up:

Premiere Magazine has done a few articles over the past few months about what has been mentioned in this thread.

Hollywood is actually cutting down on the number of movies it puts out. They're just increasing the film and marketing budgets (putting more eggs in the basket) hoping for a bigger reward. I do agree that too many movies come out most weeks. It should be like when the half dozen blockbuster films come out and no one really dares to put anything to compete with it.

Also, some theatres have eliminated ads before the previews but raised the ticket prices because of the lost revenue. No longer having ads and not decieving people about start times is good. Raising ticket prices is bad. So it is up the the movie goer.

DVDs are even coming out just after 4 months. It saves less on marketing for films and tries to curb pirating. Remember in the days of VHS that certain films took what seemed like forever to be available? Only the 'holiday' movies seem to be released 9-11 months after their first release now.

The Ant Bully marks the third computer animated film about ants in eight years. Check the box office charts, A Bug's Life and Antz did well box office wise but not as great as the other CGI films. This one didn't look that great. There was usually a good 2D animated film every year and crappy 2D, and now there are good 3D and and crappy 3D animated films. Monster House just came out last week and now another one came out? Then that farm animal one is out I believe this or next Friday. Too much (with Pixar and Dreamworks' entries earlier in the summer)!

Miami Vice is just a mess of a story with a big budget that the studio hoped would do well. It will make back the costs and will have a decent profit once the DVD sales are done.

Reloaded was my favorite of the three Matrix films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"