New Samuel L. Jackson Interview!

rogue trooper

Sidekick
Reaction score
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2008/09/2...he-spirit-its-wile-e-coyote-with-real-people/

There’s been no shortage of buzz around the ‘Net about Frank Miller’s upcoming adaptation of Will Eisner’s classic series “The Spirit”, but when MTV News spoke with Samuel L. Jackson about the film and his role in it, the popular actor didn’t hesitate to add some thoughts of his own about the project.
“['The Spirit'] is a comic book,” said Jackson. “You can call ‘The Dark Knight’ a comic book, but no, it’s a graphic novel. There’s a difference between a comic book and a graphic novel.”
“‘The Spirit’ is funny. It’s tongue-in-cheek, wry humor,” continued Jackson. “It’s sort of Wile E. Coyote with real people. We hit each other with big things [and] we’re both kind of indestructible, so it’s funny in that way. We get shot up, we get stabbed up, we just don’t die.”
Further comparing the upcoming film to this summer’s comics-based blockbuster “The Dark Knight,” Jackson said his character, the villainous Octopus, is “purely evil and bad as The Joker,” but “a genius in my own mind, not in everybody else’s.”
“I keep making these things that don’t work,” he laughed.
For more on how he prepped for his role as The Octopus, be sure to check out our video interview with Samuel L. Jackson.

I like his enthusiasm, but the stuff he reveals when he talks about this film are discouraging.

You know, when I think of Will Eisner's The Spirit, I always think of Wile E. Coyote. :whatever:

I just hope they actually go out of their way to mock their own lack of respect for the material, and just go all out with the gags. At this point, I'd seriously hope for a giant anvil that says "acme" on it being dropped on to Denny's head... just so we all know it's SUPPOSED to be a joke.

And, I'm being serious.

If Miller wants to flat out make Eisner's characters into a joke, at least go all the way, so those of us who know that Eisner wasn't writing a Loony Tune can just flat out see that it's all meant to be a big sight gag rather than being frustrated that he tried but missed it.

While his Wile E. Coyote comparison isn't the best way to describe it, I see what Samuel is saying. While it often had a dark shadowy noir look, Eisner's Spirit wasn't grim and gritty like Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, it was funny. Comical. It’s tongue-in-cheek, wry humor with fun, light-heart cartoony goofy adventure filled with beautiful over the top Jessica Rabbit style femme fatales and dastardly villains. The Spirit lived on humor. He was sort of clumsy and had a tongue-in-cheek sense of humor. He was machine-gunned, knocked silly, and just didn’t die.

Yeah. Agreed. His wording is what makes me think Lion's Gate ought to be muzzling him.

But, I was sincere... if they are choosing to go the full blown cartoon route, it would be cool if they just went FULL blown and made it cartoonish to the hilt.

Graphic novels in chapters. Yeah, right.

The phrases "we’re both kind of indestructible", "a genius in my own mind, not in everybody else’s" and "I keep making these things that don’t work" are a SUREFIRE WAY to know the HE DOESN'T KNOW SQUAT WHAT THE OCTOPUS IS ABOUT!

1. Octopus isnt's indestructible. Neither the Spirit.
2. Octopus is THE genius of crime in Spirit's city, period. No one know who he is, he never got caught.
3. His plans ALWAYS worked. Spirit APPARENTLY twarted all his schemes, but in the end the Octopus got scot free and with all the booty.

1. Octopus isnt's indestructible. Neither the Spirit.
2. Octopus is THE genius of crime in Spirit's city, period. No one know who he is, he never got caught.
3. His plans ALWAYS worked. Spirit APPARENTLY twarted all his schemes, but in the end the Octopus got scot free and with all the booty.

Oh, now you just sound like someone who has actually read those OLD Spirit stories. :oldrazz:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"