New Ultimate Universe

Venom 1988

formerly Ultimate_Venom
Reaction score
Apologies if this has already been talked about elsewhere but didn't see anything. So I guess this thread could talk about this new revamp of the ultimate comics as a whole but I wanted to spotlight this comic. I know Hickman kind of divived amongst fans but I dig most of his work. Also excited to see Checchetto as well, loved his work on the recent Dardevil run. And of course I dig a book spotlighting a married Peter, so that's my main drive for looking forward to this lol.

Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson Are the Ultimate Couple in 'Ultimate Spider-Man' #1

Apologies if this has already been talked about elsewhere but didn't see anything. So I guess this thread could talk about this new revamp of the ultimate comics as a whole but I wanted to spotlight this comic. I know Hickman kind of divived amongst fans but I dig most of his work. Also excited to see Checchetto as well, loved his work on the recent Dardevil run. And of course I dig a book spotlighting a married Peter, so that's my main drive for looking forward to this lol.

Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson Are the Ultimate Couple in 'Ultimate Spider-Man' #1

616 Peter Parker is officially dead to me. At least for the time being.

Can't wait to read this run!!!

I enjoyed Ultimate Invasion so I’ll be picking up that Ultimate Universe one shot next week and I’m intrigued by where Hickman can take this new Ultimate Universe and the writers on the other books as well. Having Peter become Spider-Man after he’s already married to MJ and that they have children is an interesting premise. Makes me wonder if Uncle Ben is alive and if his death is what makes Pete want to become a hero like traditional canon and the original Ultimate U or is it something else. Anyway whatever it is I can’t wait to read the book.

I made my peace long ago that the marriage in the main 616 universe would never be restored.

Adult Peter Parker married to MJ is my Spider-Man. It's what I grew up with. Spidey at his best.

I hope this is good. Love the covers.

I still think that we'll be seeing the marriage restored eventually. It's just going to take awhile to get there again, given how stubborn the old guard have been. But considering how negative the response has been to the current ASM run and how backlash to OMD still hasn't died down nearly 20 years later, I do think we'll see pressure continue to build within Marvel to restore the marriage and age Peter up again down the line once the old gentlemen's club are all out of the equation.

Man, you just know Joey Q, Zeb Wells, and Nick Lowe are pissed. Especially Lowe, as I am certain Hickman isn't under his jurisdiction.

In terms of the Ultimate line, Peach Momoko is just such an off the wall choice for Ultimate X-men.

Especially considering the complete 180 in fan reactions that happened at the respective NYCC panels two weeks ago. Wells and Lowe's attempt to promote their upcoming Gang War storyline for TASM didn't go over well (and the first two fan questions were OMD/PeterMJ related). The next day, Hickman and co. come in with the Ultimate lineup announcements and the tease that USM was sort of his variation on Peter B. Parker.

I was a massive Spidey comic reader until around late 2010 which is when I stopped reading. I hated how they tried to take away the idea of Peter growing and having a family just to maintain status quo. back in the early 2000s I wasn't a huge fan of Ultimate Spider-Man either, at least not as much as others. It's so ironic to me now that it's Ultimate Spider-Man that will finally let Peter grow again. That's just awesome to me.

In terms of the Ultimate line, Peach Momoko is just such an off the wall choice for Ultimate X-men.
It definitely is a very left field choice but I really liked her Demon Days mini from last year so I'm cautiously optimistic for it.

It's so ironic to me now that it's Ultimate Spider-Man that will finally let Peter grow again.
It's kind of weird isn't it? When Ultimate Spider-Man launched in 2000, it focused on a teenage Spidey because 616 was an adult and married (ableit a bit rocky at the time with MJ allegedly dead/kidnapped). Now it's the opposite. I mean 616 Peter is still an adult but his growth is stunted.

Last edited:
It definitely is a very left field choice but I really liked her Demon Days mini from last year so I'm cautiously optimistic for it.

It's kind of weird isn't it? When Ultimate Spider-Man launched in 2000, it focused on a teenage Spidey because 616 was an adult and married (ableit a bit rocky at the time with MJ allegedly dead/kidnapped). Now it's the opposite. I mean 616 Peter is still an adult but his growth is stunted.

Yeah, the irony is more than a little palpable IMO. Still, I'm very excited given the circumstances.

One thing I hope we hear more about soon though is what sort of villains we can expect to see Hickman reinvent or create for this run. For instance, if 6160 Peter is just now becoming Spider-Man as a middle aged man with a wife and kids, while 6160 Tony Stark is still just a teenager, then maybe Hickman might make notable changes with the Rogues Gallery (i.e. a younger Vulture, Otto or Norman being much closer in age to Peter, while Harry might be the same age as Peter's kids)?

Imagine if Hickman delivers a dynamic between this Peter and either Norman or Otto similar to what he delivered in his FF/Avengers run between Reed and Doom?

So I haven't had a chance to read the Ultimate Universe one shot yet that came out this week but I accidently spoiled myself and it does set up some stuff for the Spider-Man series.

So without getting to much into the rest of the issue, the cabel of bad guys/world leaders hijacked a Stark satilite and used it to blow up Stark Tower. There's a newcast detailing the event at the end and they state that thousands of people are missing and there are no phyiscal evidence of any remains. They then list names of the missing people including Norman Osborn, Emily Osborn and May Parker (not sure if it's supposed to be Aunt May or Peter's daughter). So any of them may or may not be dead. It's possible this might be the inciting event for Peter to want to become a superhero.

Last edited:
Interesting that Momoko is bringing in her New Champions cover character into the Ultimate universe.

Looks like the Green Goblin is showing up in issue 2. The suit reminds me the the Raimi Goblin.

Considering what happened in Ultimate Universe #1, it's probably a safe bet that the 6160 Green Goblin will be Harry Osborn, and not Norman.

As an aside, I wonder if maybe this Goblin starts out a hero and then slowly becomes a villain overtime as their sanity slips? There's no way that the fact that this Goblin suit design matches the same general layout of the classic Spider-Man suit design isn't a deliberate creative choice on Checchetto's part.

Considering what happened in Ultimate Universe #1, it's probably a safe bet that the 6160 Green Goblin will be Harry Osborn, and not Norman.

As an aside, I wonder if maybe this Goblin starts out a hero and then slowly becomes a villain overtime as their sanity slips? There's no way that the fact that this Goblin suit design matches the same general layout of the classic Spider-Man suit design isn't a deliberate creative choice on Checchetto's part.
Yea I think that's very likely as well. I feel like with this universe, instead of just retelling the Spidey mythos but now it's 2023, they are (for lack of a better term) throwing it all in a blender and just paving a way for new storylines, with no expectations on certain stories beats happening just because it happened in 616.

Also finally got a chance to read Ultimate Universe. For the most part it was alright, nothing mind blowing but I liked the setup they are going with. I'm guessing this Cabel of World Leaders are going to be the main overall antagonists. Also thought the 2 page Momko X-Men story backup story was cute (though one of the panels gave me light Junji Ito vibes lol). Very interested to see what she does with that book. If the book is primarily going to take place in Japan, I wonder if the X-Men team will be local to that region.

Last edited:
Yea I think that's very likely as well. I feel like with this universe, instead of just retelling the Spidey mythos but now it's 2023, they are (for lack of a better term) throwing it all in a blender and just paving a way for new storylines, with no expectations on certain stories beats happening just because it happened in 616.

Also finally got a chance to read Ultimate Universe. For the most part it was alright, nothing mind blowing but I liked the setup they are going with. I'm guessing this Cabel of World Leaders are going to be the main overall antagonists. Also thought the 2 page Momko X-Men story was backup story cute (though one of the panels gave me light Junji Ito vibes lol). Very interested to see what she does with that book. If the book is primarily going to take place in Japan, I wonder if the X-Men team will be local to that region.

Agreed. It's pretty clear IMO that we're looking at a significant inverse of a lot of different normalities with Marvel in the new Ultimate universe and I wouldn't be shocked if Hickman continues to go in that direction across the board, beyond just Peter and MJ being married with kids here or Peter only just now getting his powers. Maybe Uncle Ben is still alive and ends up being a regular member of the cast, for example?

I'm very interested in seeing more of Momoko's Ultimate X-Men. That two page teaser really stood out to me, especially considering the Junji Ito vibes.

- Romita Homage
- Richard and May

God, I am so excited for this series. The trailer looks great and the five preview pages for the first issue over at Marvel's website all looks super promising.

Seems that 6160 Peter is working at the Daily Bugle with JJJ and Betty! And more importantly, it seems that Oscorp has merged with Stark Tech, going off the decal on the Green Goblin's armor.

Is this Peter Parker going to craft web shooters or develop organic webshooters in his wrists? If he is a genius savant like most versions of Peter, why didn't he become a tech CEO and invent stuff? This shows him working at the Bugle as a photographer or reporter.

I just want organic webshooters to return on a version of Peter Parker one day honestly.

There seems to be a level of hype building for this book and everything I read about and see is getting me very excited. I can’t wait for January.

Is this Peter Parker going to craft web shooters or develop organic webshooters in his wrists? If he is a genius savant like most versions of Peter, why didn't he become a tech CEO and invent stuff? This shows him working at the Bugle as a photographer or reporter.

I just want organic webshooters to return on a version of Peter Parker one day honestly.
Well at the end of the first issue of Ultimate Invasion when we first meet teenage 6160 Peter and Liz during the science expo where he would’ve gotten bitten. Liz mentions that Peter probably won’t grow up to be a tech giant and will just go on to become a normal guy with an average job. So I think Hickman was setting that up in the dialogue.

Next week this finally releases. I can’t wait.

Just got done reading issue 1 and I thought it was a pretty great start. I really enjoyed it and I don't know what it is exactly, but the feeling I got reading the issue is something I felt has been missing in ASM for quite awhile. I'm trying not to hype it up, as a lot of the issue is set up but I really dug the status quo they introduced in this book. Biggest thing I enjoyed in this issue was
seeing Uncle Ben alive as well as him being old friends and co-workers with JJJ at the Bugle. Not something I ever thought I wanted to see but it's defintitly a welcome addition. With May dead, I really hope they don't kill off Ben in this universe. At the very least not anytime soon anyway. And really thought it was neat seeing Peter presented with the spider and he chooses to become Spider-Man. Last couple of pages were something else.

Also Checchetto can do now wrong. His artwork as always is really good and really fits in with Spider-Man. Overall I can't wait for the next issue. Also looking forward to the see what they do with Black Panther and X-Men.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"