New Ultimate Universe

UXM #1 was a fresh and unique start to this new Ultimate Universe. I was surprised by how dark the book was and the themes it tackled like bullying and suicide. Yes the art was indeed the standout and this book will be the closest thing I’ll probably come to reading a manga but this comic has me intrigued to checkout others in the genre.

I agree with Venom 1988 and blueharvest that the figure might be
Shadow King
but I’m thinking also possibly something else but we’ll see.

Life got in the way and got a bit behind. Bought UBP #2 last week but haven't had a chance to read it until last night. Overall, I'm a bit lukewarm on this book. I like a lot of the setup Hill is doing but I it's not fully grabbing me I guess. I do want to stick it out for the next few issues though to see how it goes. Side note I did see an interview with Hill where he said he was trying to take a page from Dune and I can totally see that (especially with some of the different factions in Wakanda). I do hope he leans more and more into that.

Preview for USM #3 on sale next week.
Solicits for June issues, including The Ultimates. The Black Panther one is kinda spoilerly though, but it does peak my interest more after feeling issue #2 was a bit mid, so excited for that. Also the X-Men one shows that
Surge, Nico and possibly Rogue?
are showing up in the book so that's kinda cool.

I switched to a mail subscription for USM, so I just got issue 3 in the mail yesterday. Hopefully future issues won't be a week late but we'll see. Anyway, I really dug this issue. Few random thoughts

* Thought the begining scene with May and Peter trying to figure out what his suit should look like was pretty fun.
* Bullesye was cool but I feel he got taken out a little too easy.
* The ending seems to be setting up an interesting dynamic with Harry and Peter. They first meeting is them as Spidey and GG and by the end they know each others identity. Depending on how things go, I could see them being friends first but then enemies due to Peter not approving Harry's methods on stoping crime (whatever that may be).
* I may have forgotten or missed it but even though Tony gave Peter his suit, it seems to have been developed by Oscorp. Hence why Harry was able to take control of it. If they do end up becoming enemies, I imagine Peter will ditch it for a less techy suit.

UBP #3 was a bit slow and very much felt like the middle issue between 2 and 4. I'm still invested though. Characterization is good, art remains phenomenal, while the outfits remain too detailed to be consistent between shots.

Caught up on UXM #2 and read UBP #3 today. I agree BP is still a bit too slow more my liking but I actually felt I enjoyed this issue more than 2. I like that there seems to be some type of ancient lore that's sorta connected to Wakanda and unknown to even T'challa but I felt I needed a bit more info than what the issue provided.

I enjoyed UXM#2 as well, though that is a bit of a slow burn as well. Also if it wasn't already apparent in the first issue, the 2nd issue really makes it seem the shadow character is indeed the Shadow King, specifically the panel where we see his human form and he's wearing what appears to be a fez like hat/helmet. Also I guess Shadow King might actually be another high school student.

Overall the art continues to be the best thing in both of these books.

Can’t wait to read the book.

Last week I got Black Panther a day early, this week nothing for Spider-Man. Hoping I don't have to wait a week last time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"