New Ultimate Universe

Yeah I thought this was a great first issue. Loved Peter’s and the supporting cast characterization so far and the differences from main canon but stayed true to the spirit of the characters we love… particularly Peter, MJ and Jonah. Looking forward to the next issue as well as Black Panther, X-Men and the just announced The Ultimates titles. Glad it seems a lot of people are digging this first issue on the internet so hopefully it bolds well for the this and future books in this new Ultimate Universe.

Also in retrospect, kinda wish I just named this topic New Ultimate Universe or something. Cause I want to show some love for the other titles as well lol. Gonna post the preview articles (a bitt old) for the other titles.

Enjoyed Ultimate Spider-Man #1 and Ultimate Black Panther looks great. Ultimate X-Men seems interesting on paper, but I'm not sure if it'll have longevity. Bold choice though, which I do applaud. Especially since the post-Krakoan era seems to be regressing to the 90s.

New preview and interview with Peach Momoko for X-Men #1. No idea how well the book will be story wise but I really love the artwork. Also it seems I missed an article from December spotlighting Storm and Killmonger in the Black Panther book.

Also got the title changed for the thread to focus on all the books rather than just Spidey.

I wonder what is the interest to renew another Ultimate universe
First ultimate earth has been destroyed following events of Secret Wars 2015, why didnt they keep it, instead of making a second Ultimate

I wonder what is the interest to renew another Ultimate universe
First ultimate earth has been destroyed following events of Secret Wars 2015, why didnt they keep it, instead of making a second Ultimate
The tldr version is they did keep it. Not long after Secret Wars they revealed it was still around in Spider-Men II and briefly in Donny Cates Venom run. From all reports it seemed Cates was the one who who going to shepard in this relaunch of the Ultimate Universe until he got in his car accident a year ago. After that Hickman took the reigns and relaunced it his own way, while trying to still honor what Cates was building up (it's why Cates has a writing credit on Ultimate Invasion #1 despite not working on any other comics in the last year).

As for interest? That remains to be seen but from all the murmings I've seen online on other forums or social media, people seem to be really looking forward to it (at least the Spidey series anyway).

Looks really interesting at least imo.
So it's just Armor and Maystorm to start?
Interesting. I love me some Armor, but that's definitely a bold way to start things out

Interesting. I love me some Armor, but that's definitely a bold way to start things out

Momoko is just a weird off the wall choice for me. She is a wonderful talent, but this is nothing like she has done for Marvel so far.

Ultimate Spider-Man was awesome!!! Checcetto is amazing. So long as they can keep this quality and intrigue up, I'm in. Also, Momoko on UXM is a win. It will be nice to see a new take on the X-Men...if nothing else, it will be beautiful to see!

So I got around to reading Black Panther #1. All in all this feel like an alright issue though I think I enjoyed USM#1 more. Most of the issue is setup and dealing with the status quo of this version of Wakanda. Also the art is great as well and I really dig the designs for a lot of the characters.

I think ultimately, I wasn't totally blown away by this version of Wakanda as it's not terribly different than the normal 616 version. There are some differences though, like T'Challa is already king before his father dies. He's also married to Okoye, though it's a political marriage, so I'm not sure if they actually have feelings for each or not. However the one new inclusion I'm a bit interested in is the Vodu Khan. The issue didn't cover it a whole lot with them but the impresssion I got was they're a group within Wakanda heicaracy that deal with the spirtuality side of things. I would like to see them get more focus in future issues. Another highlight of the issue was the introduction of Killmonger and Storm and seeing them fight off Ra/Konshu's forces in West Africa. Curious to see Killmonger and T'Challa butt heads at some point.

Last edited:
So I got around to reading Black Panther #1. All in all this feel like an alright issue though I think I enjoyed USM#1 more. Most of the issue is setup and dealing with the status quo of this version of Wakanda. Also the art is great as well and I really dig the designs for a lot of the characters.

I think ultimately, I wasn't totally blown away by this version of Wakanda as it's not terribly different that the normal 616 version. There are some differences though, like T'Challa is already king before his father dies. He's also married to Okoye, though it's a political marriage, so I'm not sure if they actually have feelings for each or not. However the one new inclusion I'm a bit interested in is the Vodu Khan. The issue didn't cover it a whole lot with them but the impresssion I got was they're a group within Wakanda heicaracy that deal with the spirtuality side of things. I would like to see them get more focus in future issues. Another highlight of the issue was the introduction of Killmonger and Storm and seeing them fight off Ra/Konshu's forces in West Africa. Curious to see Killmonger and T'Challa butt heads at some point.
I may check it out. Since Daredevil did a steep nosedive in quality and ASM is in the crapper, I'm needing something fun to read!
USM was great, and I will definitely try this. Here's hoping!

Writing for Ultimate Black Panther was pretty good. Overall a solid start.

I love the art style itself, but some of the character designs were super inconsistent. T'Chaka's collar changes every panel, Matron Imala spawns in a necklace halfway through their conversation, Okoye's face tattoo isn't there in several panels, the red highlights on her outfit are also all over the place etc.

Generally some weird coloring with the pinkish highlights.

That kind of detail doesn't usually stand out to me, but with so many close-up shots of characters talking, they really drew attention to it here.

Yeah I think those two to start off with but on the issue 1 cover there are three slash marks so Wolverine can’t be far behind plus his connection too Japan as well.

Ultimate Black Panther #1 is off to a decent start like others have said mostly setup. Right now there’s only some small differences to 616 canon other than T’Chaka being alive and The Vudo Kahn as well as his marriage to Okoye and T’Challa being king since he’s not currently in 616. So I’m looking forward to future issues to see what else is different in the 6160 canon. I agree with Venom1988 that Killmonger and Storms introduction was awesome. I’m also really looking forward to learning more about this universe version of Moon Knight. I found T’Challa and his supporting characters to be well written and can’t wait to see them develop more especially after that ending.

Last edited:
Read USM #2 today. Enjoyed it a lot but biggest downside was that it was a super quick read. I don't get the sense that Hickman is padding out his run (especially given how stuffed issue 1 was) but the story was pretty simple and straightforward. Not a lot going on.

Few spoiler thoughts on the issue
* This issue starts a month later in February. If these 2 issues are any indication, it seems the book is going to move in real time which is kind of cool. There's clearly a long form storyline being built but its kind of neat the issues themselves may be potentially stand alone-ish. Also, that 2 year countdown for The Maker to return is gonna happen probably sometime late 2025.
* Loved all the scenes with Shocker and Spidey. It's a little jokey and kinda interesting to see Peter believe the best in people, even if they are lying. And Shocker isn't treated as a joke like the previous Ultimate version)
* Also kind of neat that May finds out Peter is Spidey. I epected it to happen at some point but not this quickly lol. Also it seems that May is the inspiration for Peter to change his costume into the classic red/blue.
* Also might just be me but during JJJ and Ben's conversation, I get the sense that Ben might potentially be onto Peter being Spider-Man

UXM as expected is more FX's Legion's approach to X-Men so far. Being only tangentially related, with probably more overt connections to come. That said, I really, really liked that first issue. Ultimate comics are at their best when they bring something fresh. This definitely did that and sold me on this version of Hisako.

A bit behind but I finally got to read UXM #1. I enjoyed it a lot and loved the artwork. It's probably the strongest thing about the book. I've said before, there's defintitly a Junji Ito influence to to the art but Peach still manages to make it her own.The setup and setting is pretty interesting as well. Might be too early to tell but it seems like being a mutant in this universe might possibly be more supernaturally based rather than science/genetic based. Either way pretty excited to see where things go from here.

Also is the
the shadowy character supposed to be the Shadow King?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"