Next US Destination Recommendations?

jolldan

Sidekick
Reaction score
Going to New York I was really worried I wouldn't have enough money so I ended up saving and taking a lot more away with me than I actually needed, so coming back I have been left with around $900 so I am considering not exchanging them and just booking another trip to the US for later in the year.

Looking for suggestions on what you think would be the best tourist destination after New York for a 5 or 6 day trip?

Detroit, Cleveland, Flint...

Seriously though, what is it that you like to do? My personal favorite place is Virginia/DC. So much history there. Relatively cheap too if that matters with the Smithsonian and the National Parks resulting in a lot of free places to see.

Boston/Cape Cod is another spot that would be high on my list.

Last edited:
A plane ride across the USA.

Just avoid the Great Lakes Bermuda like Triangle by not flying over Lake Michigan.:cwink:

Seriously though, I'd just stuck to 1 area at a time gives you a chance to really explore and have fun as opposed to running around the entire time over large expanses of area. NYC is a great place to start but by no means anywhere anyone I know would like to move to. Real estate prices forbid that unless grew up there and somehow set.

Seriously though, I'd just stuck to 1 area at a time gives you a chance to really explore and have fun as opposed to running around the entire time over large expanses of area.

Fair bit of warning about that in general. Things are much, much, MUCH closer together on the East Coast than out west. After about Chicago the country gets really big, really fast with places hours apart.

Yeah, I live north of Chicago by about 3 hours currently. I hate to admit but I've never been out East. I feel like even in the country in southern Wisconsin the roads are everywhere. Once one gets up north to the Boundary Waters of northern MN then the country starts to perhaps feel almost like it did 300 years ago.:yay:

Hearing from a lot of people back home that have done this that I should just save up some more and do what they call the California triangle and do at least 3 days in San Francisco, 3 days in Las Vegas and 3 days in Los Angeles.

Im a huge fan of the movie Fear & Loathing so i'd actually be quite tempted to rent a car and drive from Vegas to LA.

“There was only one road back to L.A. - U.S. Interstate 15. Just a flat-out high speed burn through Baker and Barstow and Berdoo. Then onto the Hollywood Freeway, and straight on into frantic oblivion. Safety. Obscurity.... just another freak in the freak kingdom."” - Hunter S. Thompson

I've done SF, LA & Vegas and 3 days in each gives you limited time and you'd really have to schedule what you want to do.

San Francisco
1. Walk across Golden Gate Bridge
2. Alcatraz
3. Fisherman's Wharf
4. Muir Woods

Los Angeles
1. Hollywood
2. Disneyland
3. Catalina Island

Las Vegas
1. Day Trips to Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam
2. Shows (Recommend the Ka' Cirque de Soleil one)

It's my goal to make it to all 50 US States. I've been to 22 officially, if I don't count the ones I've stopped over in in a layover or taken a train through.

Right now my list of places to visit:

1. Hawaii
2. Yellowstone National Park (Wyoming, Idaho, Montana)
3. 4 Corners
4. Mount Rushmore
5. Sky (Montana)

My personal favorite place is Virginia/DC. So much history there. Relatively cheap too if that matters with the Smithsonian and the National Parks resulting in a lot of free places to see.
I agree. An amazing amount of cool and informative stuff in a small area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"