NFL - Game On

InCali

My Buddy - Max the Dog
Reaction score
So, what are your opinions about the direction NFL franchises will go in the off-season? What specific needs do teams need to address and how will they do it? Consider cap space for free agency and how teams might open up some of that space.

If I'm the Raiders, I take a good, long, hard look at the offensive line; especially the right side. Carr often looks like crap, but when you've got a sieve on the right side and have people in your face, that can happen. Both of their current guys are young and will likely improve.....which is what you would expect because they can't get much worse. I think they need a couple of proven pickups in free agency and let some of their current lineman mature. A couple veterans who know the tricks of the trade could be of immense help to the youngsters. Some depth at CB and a QB for the future would also be some good draft areas. Depending on whether they hang on to their current linebackers, that could also be a spot they want to look at. They have some decent wideouts, but could use a speed guy to replace he who must not be named.

It looks like OBJ has torn the same ACL he had repaired in 2020. I feel really bad for the guy because he showed that he's not the guy he was made out to be and the Rams don't win a SB without him. Picking him up was the break the Rams needed last year. He went from "luxury" to "necessity" after Woods went down days later and came through in a big way for his team. I think this increases the chances that the Rams keep him as other teams may not be willing to hand out the money he was going to command before he got hurt on that GD artificial turf. There's a big movement among players to ban it. I hope they're successful. I think the owners can afford to grow some turf in their stadiums without going broke.

If I'm the Raiders, I take a good, long, hard look at the offensive line; especially the right side. Carr often looks like crap, but when you've got a sieve on the right side and have people in your face, that can happen. Both of their current guys are young and will likely improve.....which is what you would expect because they can't get much worse. I think they need a couple of proven pickups in free agency and let some of their current lineman mature. A couple veterans who know the tricks of the trade could be of immense help to the youngsters. Some depth at CB and a QB for the future would also be some good draft areas. Depending on whether they hang on to their current linebackers, that could also be a spot they want to look at. They have some decent wideouts, but could use a speed guy to replace he who must not be named.

It sounds like the Raiders are planning on extending Carr for "the forseeable future" according to reports (Ian Rapaport) but they have yet to do it and Carr has been dead silent since Mcdaniels became HC, so who knows what will happen until it does.

They definitely gotta get some pieces on the Oline and a speedy wide out. Probably do need a CB and LB and another Edge Rusher. They got work to do. But I'm excited to see how the Raiders do wuth this whole new coaching staff.

It sounds like the Raiders are planning on extending Carr for "the forseeable future" according to reports (Ian Rapaport) but they have yet to do it and Carr has been dead silent since Mcdaniels became HC, so who knows what will happen until it does.

They definitely gotta get some pieces on the Oline and a speedy wide out. Probably do need a CB and LB and another Edge Rusher. They got work to do. But I'm excited to see how the Raiders do wuth this whole new coaching staff.
Yeah. As another Raider fan, I see that. They've got some pieces, but, man, the AFC West is BRUTAL. I've been expecting the Chargers to do more for the last few years, but they have the pieces also and I wouldn't be surprised if they were right there at the end next year. Then you have the evil, dark side menace that is the Chiefs. Both western divisions are flat out nasty; although I see Denver and Seattle maybe taking a step back next year.

EDIT: they have a lot of cap space, but a lot of free agents also.....Crosby is going to command some BIG money in one year. I try to get an extension on him if possible. Wish I was his agent.

Last edited:
Yeah. As another Raider fan, I see that. They've got some pieces, but, man, the AFC West is BRUTAL. I've been expecting the Chargers to do more for the last few years, but they have the pieces also and I wouldn't be surprised if they were right there at the end next year. Then you have the evil, dark side menace that is the Chiefs. Both western divisions are flat out nasty; although I see Denver and Seattle maybe taking a step back next year.

EDIT: they have a lot of cap space, but a lot of free agents also.....Crosby is going to command some BIG money in one year. I try to get an extension on him if possible. Wish I was his agent.

Yeah. Renfrow, Crosby and Waller I feel will need extensions soon. Yeah dude, the whole division is absolutely brutal. If the Broncos land an elite QB, I wouldn't count them out of anything honestly. They've needed a franchise QB for so long, wouldn't surprise me if they finally get one this year in Free Agency or the Draft. But we will see!

Chargers & Chiefs are just ridiculous man. I'm waiting for the Chiefs to implode on themselves but it hasn't happened yet. I really like Andy Reid, I just wish he was coaching the Eagles again lol.

Even though I'm not a fan, I'm finding Jacksonville to be one of the most interesting teams in this off season. If they want their QB to survive, I think they need to address their O line in a big way. If I'm the Jags braintrust. I go after a free agent lineman like Ryan Jensen, or preferably Orlando Brown, trade down and still pick up a top notch lineman in the draft. If they could somehow swing getting Brown, they could get Linderbaum. I watched some film of that guy and saw him play a few times last year and he is a freak athlete for a center. I don't worry about his size as he is crazy strong. If they can't get help at tackle in free agency, Ekwonu and Cross could still be gotten (I assume Neal would be gone) if they don't move down too far and still get some maybe 2nd round help from another team.

Obviously Giants need Oline help would like that addressed with our picks but would also like to package those 2 first picks to get a QB
Who don't know but Watson would be ideal if his affairs get resolved

Don't give Barkley or Jones another contract lets see what they do with new regime

Obviously Giants need Oline help would like that addressed with our picks but would also like to package those 2 first picks to get a QB

Don't give Barkley or Jones another contract lets see what they do with new regime

For the Giants, I "think" they have a decision to make. They've got Jones for one more year, but only have a few months to decide whether or not to pick up the 5th year (with a big cap hit). If they think they are going to go with him, get some O line help rather than find a new QB that's gonna get killed with their line. Personally, I don't pick up his option, get some help up front, and see how he does. They should be able to get some edge help too. If the big 2 edge rushers are off the table when 5 comes around, trade down and go for someone like Karlaftis or Walker (GA) or Ojabo (MI), and pick up another pick that helps you. They have so many needs, I don't expect them to fix everything this year, but you have to start somewhere......and letting go of some of their free agents seems like a good place to start. :cwink:

Yeah. Renfrow, Crosby and Waller I feel will need extensions soon. Yeah dude, the whole division is absolutely brutal. If the Broncos land an elite QB, I wouldn't count them out of anything honestly. They've needed a franchise QB for so long, wouldn't surprise me if they finally get one this year in Free Agency or the Draft. But we will see!

Chargers & Chiefs are just ridiculous man. I'm waiting for the Chiefs to implode on themselves but it hasn't happened yet. I really like Andy Reid, I just wish he was coaching the Eagles again lol.
Raiders are in a tough place because they have a qb who is too good to let go, but is not a “talent” that defines the team. And they are in a division that has Herbert and Mahommes, both of whom fit that bill.
But many a Super Bowl has been won with a serviceable QB, just look at guys like Dilfer, Rypien, Flacco, and Brad Johnson. But you need all of the other pieces in place and a brutal defense and scheme to make that work.

Raiders are in a tough place because they have a qb who is too good to let go, but is not a “talent” that defines the team. And they are in a division that has Herbert and Mahommes, both of whom fit that bill.
But many a Super Bowl has been won with a serviceable QB, just look at guys like Dilfer, Rypien, Flacco, and Brad Johnson. But you need all of the other pieces in place and a brutal defense and scheme to make that work.

Yeah. If the Raiders DO get rid of him, it would be one of those teams that is really good, but a QB short of being a SB contender. Teams like Cleveland might fit the bill, but there are others. The bigger question is what could they expect to get for a guy like Carr and who do they replace him with. Like you said, Raiders are in a tough place. I probably just draft some QBs and hope I get lucky with one of them.

For the Giants, I "think" they have a decision to make. They've got Jones for one more year, but only have a few months to decide whether or not to pick up the 5th year (with a big cap hit). If they think they are going to go with him, get some O line help rather than find a new QB that's gonna get killed with their line. Personally, I don't pick up his option, get some help up front, and see how he does. They should be able to get some edge help too. If the big 2 edge rushers are off the table when 5 comes around, trade down and go for someone like Karlaftis or Walker (GA) or Ojabo (MI), and pick up another pick that helps you. They have so many needs, I don't expect them to fix everything this year, but you have to start somewhere......and letting go of some of their free agents seems like a good place to start. :cwink:

So, I've been thinking about it and I think there's a very reasonable scenario where Thibodeaux drops to 5 and they pick up a Cross or Ikwonu at 7. I think that's a best case scenario for the Gs. Look for a QB with some potential in the second or third rounds and pick up some more O line help. Maybe it'll help Barkley get going. That would also help Jones.

Could always send Carr to Cleveland :o

Note to Rams on the upcoming draft....

Pray. :funny:

Going through some post NFL depression here guys. The other three major sports just don't do it for me. Neither do college sports. Sigh.

Going through some post NFL depression here guys. The other three major sports just don't do it for me. Neither do college sports. Sigh.
Read up on free agents and draft picks your team might get......you're a Pats fan. Right? (Might have that wrong) I think they have a lot of cap space, all the their early/mid round picks, and can address some of the issues they had last year.

Panthers need to bolster their offensive line in the draft/free agency. I've seen a lot of mock drafts having us taking Pickett or Willis, but I think they should wait on a QB next season. Downside of that is there will be more teams looking at QB next season.

I'm interested to see how Sam Darnold would do with some good protection. I think we should give him one more year if the plan is to draft an OT. If were crap again, then you're good to go for a QB next season and your offensive line is set.

Could always send Carr to Cleveland :o
I've been thinking that maybe the Falcons might be willing to deal Ryan if the right offer were made. The Falcons aren't going anywhere anytime soon and Ryan could still have a couple of goods years in him. Would you be behind getting Ryan for Mayfield and a couple of picks? If so, which picks?

I've been thinking that maybe the Falcons might be willing to deal Ryan if the right offer were made. The Falcons aren't going anywhere anytime soon and Ryan could still have a couple of goods years in him. Would you be behind getting Ryan for Mayfield and a couple of picks? If so, which picks?

Ryan would def be a stop gap given his age. I think it for me would come down to how much they would have to pay him and I don't want to send any really high pick in that deal. Meaning no 1st or 2nd. But yeah he would be an upgrade

Ryan would def be a stop gap given his age. I think it for me would come down to how much they would have to pay him and I don't want to send any really high pick in that deal. Meaning no 1st or 2nd. But yeah he would be an upgrade
I doubt the Falcons would be willing to get Mayfield without also getting something of significant substance. I think maybe a 2nd this year and a 1st next year might do the trick? The way I would look at it if I were a Browns fan is similar to how Rams fans saw things; we're a QB away from making some serious noise next year. Ryan probably gives them what they need and they still retain their #1 pick this year. That pick could translate into a WR like Garrett Wilson, Drake London, or a true speed burner like Jameson Williams. They could be pretty scary if that happened. They could probably even trade down a bit and still get one of them while getting another pick.

If I'm a Browns fan, that kind of makes my mouth water because I can get significantly better at the 2 positions where I need the most help.

I just looked and that cap hit on Ryan is a KILLER though......:omg:

Last edited:

I've been poking around and maybe a better option for the Browns could be to draft one of the big 3 WRs on the board (I think they'd have their pick at 13) and maybe take a QB like Desmond Ridder from Cincinnati in the 2nd. The other option would be to go QB in the 1st and take maybe one of the 4-6th ranked WRs in the 2nd and hope they work out. I don't think there's any way in the world that London, Wilson, or Williams lasts into the 2nd round.

I have kind of a fun draft question. Are there any fans out there who would like to see your team move up to the #1 (or 2 or 3 I suppose) spot and what would you give to do it or do you think the top of this draft is flat enough that there may not be that much of a difference through say, 1 to 5?

Would the Jets, Giants, or Carolina want to move up to #1 or do you think they'll get their guy?

Edit: or what about moving down in the draft if the top tier is pretty flat?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"