Gabe99

Sidekick
Reaction score
Variety:
‘Rugrats’ Revival? Nickelodeon Mulls Return of Classic Shows

Collider:
Nickelodeon May Revive Classic 90s Shows Like ‘Rugrats’ and ‘Doug’
ADAM CHITWOOD said:
Indeed, I predict we’re just starting to see the tip of the iceberg with regards to “The Jurassic World Effect.” That fourth Jurassic Park film made history at the box office, due in large part to the fact that those who were impressionable young ‘uns when the original Jurassic Park came out were now amped to refuel that nostalgia by witnessing a new entry in the long-dormant franchise. 90s kids are now some of our country’s biggest consumers, ranging in age from 25 to 35, and if Corporate America creates a product that feeds on the nostalgia of early millennials, they’ll likely see an uptick in revenue stream.

Which brings us back to Nick reviving its 90s programming. As corporate-driven as this may be, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t interested in seeing more Doug or Hey Arnold!, or even a new iteration of Kablam!. Heck I’d probably watch an entire channel devoted to playing old episodes of 90s cartoons and kids shows, but if creating new content based on old characters is the direction Nickelodeon wants to take, I’ll be curious to see how it pans out.

{TB EXCLUSIVE} ’90S NICKTOONS SET TO MAKE A COMEBACK IN PARAMOUNT CROSSOVER MOVIE
Rugrats, Angry Beavers, Hey Arnold!, Rocko’s Modern Life, Ren and Stimpy, and more are coming together for what’s being pitched as a Justice League or Avenger’s-esque team-up film called NICKTOONS.
Clark Allen said:

Paramount is developing a live-action/animation hybrid based on the classic cartoons

Now more than ever, the intense wave of 1990s nostalgia is at its height, with a slew of upcoming TV shows and movies planned to capitalize on the collective desire for a return of these cherished properties. Just this week even, Nickelodeon announced a plan to reboot ’90s favorites in a fresh new way.

Well, it’s time for millennials to rejoice, because the beloved Nickelodeon cartoon series of the ’90s are making a return in the biggest way possible. Sources exclusively confirm to The Tracking Board that Paramount Pictures is in the early stages of developing a massive live-action/animated crossover film featuring characters from hit ’90s Nick cartoons. Rugrats, Angry Beavers, Hey Arnold!, Rocko’s Modern Life, Ren and Stimpy, and more are coming together for what’s being pitched as a Justice League or Avenger’s-esque team-up film called NICKTOONS.

Citing The Lego Movie, Space Jam, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, and Wreck It Ralph as influences, Nicktoons is poised to follow a similar model, employing a hefty amount of self-referential humor and charm.

Our sources say that Mary Parent is leading the charge on this one, working with the studio to develop and lock down the rights to the individual series. Parent and Cale Boyter are producing the pic via their shingle, Disruption Entertainment, which signed an overall deal with Paramount this past March.

Parent of course has a proven track record with adapting Nickelodeon cartoons into successful features, having produced this year’s Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out of Water. Nickelodeon Movies, which is a subsidiary of Paramount, is also producing, while Elizabeth Raposo will oversee for the studio.

Paramount is currently in discussions with different writers, looking for the perfect scribe to tackle a project balancing such immensely beloved properties.

Naysayers ought not to fear, as our sources say that the creators have no intentions to bastardize or update the characters unfavorably, only to create a fun adventure reuniting audiences with the treasured cartoons in an exciting new approach, pleasing old fans and creating new ones. Though, creators have to tread lightly, as they run the risk of making another Rugrats Go Wild, which was an ill-received and poorly conceived crossover that just didn’t mesh.

In this reporter’s opinion, news of the project is mind-blowing, but it’s that kind of crazy where the film could potentially be the best thing ever. Though all the included series haven’t yet been ironed out, we’re hoping Catdog, Ahh!!! Real Monsters, and Doug are also invited to the party, because that would be awesome.

Eh...I'll play the wait and see apprach I dont really wanna see Rugrats and Spongebob interact. I thought it was corny when they did Rugrats go wild.

And then it being a live action/animation hybrid doesnt appeal to me

Could be good, could be Pixels part II.

Throw in Invader Zim and you got a party.

Not sure I'm feeling this idea. All of those shows were very different.

I don't really get it to be honest. I don't really see how talking babies would fit in to hey Arnold for example.

I would definitely love to see a live action wild thornberries though

I feel like Ren & Stimpy with Invader Zim would make sense in a way. Ren & Stimpy with Rugrats... I don't know. It could be hilarious.

Ren and Stimpy is still one of my favorite cartoons. I watched "Stimpy's Fan Club" the other day and was dying. Even my brother, who isn't really a fan of the show, was laughing pretty hard.

One thing I'm confused about; Are all of these getting a reboot-type show leading up to to the cross-over movie? I've read some articles that seem to say that. If so, that's going to be interesting. It seems like it will take awhile to get to the film.

Also, I'd like to see Arnold discover his parents, or find out what happened to them.

I watched all these cartoons growing up, but I can't remember much about Angry Beavers or Rocko's Modern Life.

Still... I'm pretty excited to see what they do with Ren and Stimpy. Not sure how I feel about all this Live Action/Animated business though. It was slightly distracting in the new Spongebob movie, but eh.

Hey Arnold!, spoke some true real ****.

Rocko's modern Life was awesome.

I don't see this working as some kind of Nicktoons "universe" like Avengers. Maybe more like what was done in Who Framed Roger Rabbit or Wreck-It Ralph where "behind the scenes" they all exist together.

Remember the Wild Thornberries/Rugrats crossover movie? I remember seeing that in theaters. When I was little, I thought it was so cool to see the two shows come together like that.

There was also a Jimmy Neutron/ Fairly Oddparents crossover episode.

Nicktoons crossover movie? Could be very fun if done right right.

Jared Hess and his wife are writing this? Hmmmm.... I don't know about that.

If Phil Lord & Chris Miller or the "Animaniacs" crew were writing this (i.e. Tom Ruegger and Sheri Stoner), I'd be all in for it.

Should be great seeing those characters altogether in a Lego Movie style movie. I've got a lot of nostalgia for Angry Beavers, Rugrats etc etc. It'd be hilarious if this came out in 2017 somehow.

Jared Hess and his wife are writing this? Hmmmm.... I don't know about that.

That's what I thought also. Their movies are so obnoxious, they're like Wes Anderson but for middle schoolers who huff paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"