Nioh aka "Samurai Souls"

Soapy

Avenger
Reaction score
DBzZdKP.jpg

Nioh is an action RPG game being developed by Team Ninja. Strong comparisons have been made to Dark Souls and Onimusha. The game takes place in ancient Japan and loosely follows historical figure William Adams, the first and one of the few western samurai.

The reason I made this thread (besides the fact that it needed one) was to remind people that there will be a demo released on April 26th and lasting until May 5th.

nIdYjBu.jpg

i0zl0JE.jpg

Mnh9L7X.jpg

Db3uMzl.jpg

F8Soooy.jpg

[YT]Lz80GeslJSE[/YT]

[YT]MJ9_8Ip0OEw[/YT]

I'm putting this at the bottom so people don't misconstrue it for real information about the current version of the game, but I wanted to include it because this game has had an interesting history. Originally announced in 2004 as an early Playstation 3 title, Nioh was a game under development by Koei loosely based on an unfilmed Akira Kurosawa screenplay. The plan at the time was that it would be released alongside a companion film directed by Kurosawa's son. However due to unknown circumstances, the developers went quiet on the project and it slipped by its original release date without comment. In 2009 Koei apologized for the lack of updates and said that they were still working on it. And then in 2010, Koei announced that Team Ninja was now developing the game.

Last edited:
thanks for creating this thread, Soapy.

this does look interesting ( and the backstory of the game's development is interesting ).

however, I hope it isn't too similar to the Souls games. Those games just aren't my cup of tea.

Demo is on on the PS4. Go play now. It is a like a mix of Onimusha and Dark Souls, with Geralt as the main character.

I hate how everything that's hard nowadays is considering "Souls" like. I've never really played those games, but people act like it invented challenge or some ****. I know last gen saw a real streamlining and games in general got easier with it being a bit of a standout franchise, but eh, still.

I'm downloading the demo now.

I hate how everything that's hard nowadays is considering "Souls" like. I've never really played those games, but people act like it invented challenge or some ****. I know last gen saw a real streamlining and games in general got easier with it being a bit of a standout franchise, but eh, still.

I'm downloading the demo now.
While I understand your sentiment, that isn't what I meant about it being Souls like. Once you play it, you will see what I mean. They do the bloodspots, they do the emotes, and the game play is like a cross because Onimusha and Dark Souls imo. It has blatantly ripped off a lot of aspects from the Souls series, and aren't trying to hide it.

I wasn't aiming that at you or anyone specific, just in general I see that sentiment a lot when it comes to harder games. Hate is probably too strong a word, more just annoyance I guess. Of course if they're directly copying things from Souls that is fair enough. Like I said, I never really played those before. I played Bloodborne, and it was good, but the lack of save points before bosses was a deal-breaker for me personally.

I wasn't aiming that at you or anyone specific, just in general I see that sentiment a lot when it comes to harder games. Hate is probably too strong a word, more just annoyance I guess. Of course if they're directly copying things from Souls that is fair enough. Like I said, I never really played those before. I played Bloodborne, and it was good, but the lack of save points before bosses was a deal-breaker for me personally.
I totally get you. I love the Souls series, but I do kind of roll my eyes when every tough game gets compared to it these days. And I don't even find the Souls games that tough. There is this indie game called Eitr that I am really looking forward to, and it keeps be compared to the Souls games. But outside of being difficult, I just don't get the comparison.

Goddammit. Finally a good looking Samurai game comes to the PS4 and it's nothing more than a blatant Dark Souls ripoff. I find that relentlessly punishing gameplay of the Dark Souls series so unnecessary. Nioh is 100% nothing more than a Japanese themed Dark Souls games.

I played the demo for an hour and after an hour of being punished by the dev for daring to play their game I can safely say this one ain't for me.

Yeah? I just can't stand the gameplay of the Dark Souls series and was disappointed to find out that Nioh is nothing more than feudal Japanese Dark Souls. Power to whoever digs those games. I just don't like anything about them. The difficulty is absurd and far too punishing.

What would you change about the Souls games to make them more palatable to you without screwing with what people like about them?

Goddammit. Finally a good looking Samurai game comes to the PS4 and it's nothing more than a blatant Dark Souls ripoff. I find that relentlessly punishing gameplay of the Dark Souls series so unnecessary. Nioh is 100% nothing more than a Japanese themed Dark Souls games.

I played the demo for an hour and after an hour of being punished by the dev for daring to play their game I can safely say this one ain't for me.

hmmm.....this is disappointing to hear.

I've given the Souls/Bloodborne games numerous chances, and I'm done with them. I've tried getting into them, but I just can't - don't care much for the style of gameplay.

It's not a straight ripoff. There are a lot of similarities, but it's definitely its own thing.

I'll take Souls-like games any day of the week!

Yeah, I bet it'll get a PC release though.
if there's mp i hope there's crossplay. all games that can manage it should be crossplay.

why do we have to call it a ripoff? can't we just say it was inspired by the souls series?

I am not complaining about this being heavy on the Souls. I like it quite a bit. But make no mistake, this takes a lot of from Souls. If you want to call it a ripoff, I won't disagree.

What would you change about the Souls games to make them more palatable to you without screwing with what people like about them?

They could just add an easier mode. I'm not talking a straight up walk in the park mode, but definitely a mode where maybe enemies deal a little less damage, or the stamina bar isn't depleted after doing literally anything. The core game can be there as is for series regulars, and there can be an additional entry level mode for those that just want to experience the story and aesthetics.

At the end of the day, though, I know that asking for an easier Dark Souls type experience is a lot like asking an R rated film to release a PG-13 version. The Dark Souls style games aren't for me, so I'm not playing them. Gaming is a big beautiful world so I'm not going to worry about playing a game that pisses me off that much. That's what life is for.

Eh, gave it a shot. Love the aesthetic and all, but the gameplay feels kind of clunky to me. Stamina drains way, way too fast, you really can't do much of anything, and I ran into several one shot one kill enemies, which made me roll my eyes. I know, it's suppose to be hard, but one shot one kill enemies are just a cheap way of doing that.

Might give it another shot later on, but I don't know, didn't care much for this taste.

You can regain stamina pretty easily. I don't know if you've played Gears of War or not, but it's sort of like an active reload. Whenever you attack and your stamina drains, you'll notice that your bar refills briefly in white. If you press R1 during that, you'll regain most of your stamina you spent on attacks. (assuming your timing is good.)

Oh really? Okay, no, I didn't know that at all. Well, okay, that may make that a little better. One shot, one kill enemies are still ash, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"