The Dark Knight no mention of bruce's parents?

luke1234

World Sick
Reaction score
was anyone surprised how throughout the whole movie they never mentioned bruce's parents and their murders? They played a big part in the first film i just thought it was wierd how they didnt even mention his parents. They usually mention the death of his parents in every batman movie because that was the spark that created him. Did anyone else find it wierd? Did they actually mention his parents in a subtle line or anything and i just missed it?

Why would they?!?

The first movie established the origin of Batman.

yeah but they were such a huge part in the first film, i mean i thought lucius fox would be like "your mother bla bla bla" or alfred being like "your father worked in that hospital" idk during conversation scenes between bruce and his mentors you would think there would be a mention, but whatever its just me

yeah but they were such a huge part in the first film, i mean i thought lucius fox would be like "your mother bla bla bla" or alfred being like "your father worked in that hospital" idk during conversation scenes between bruce and his mentors you would think there would be a mention, but whatever its just me

It would be redundant.

Nolan's Batman is so involved in maintaining his image as Bruce and his crusade as Batman, he probably never really thinks about his parents much.

yeah true i probably am just use to the 90s batman movies when they talked about his parents every film

One thing I like about what Chris Nolan did with the dark knight is he didn't tread over waters we've already sailed on. Begins deals with what it has to deal with, and Knight does the same. They really don't do the exact same thing. They don't need to. Plus Doing this made Batman's mission even bigger than what it already was. That's what I love about these movies. It isn't just about the parents. Gotham is in need, lets focus on that.

One thing I like about what Chris Nolan did with the dark knight is he didn't tread over waters we've already sailed on. Begins deals with what it has to deal with, and Knight does the same. They really don't do the exact same thing. They don't need to. Plus Doing this made Batman's mission even bigger than what it already was. That's what I love about these movies. It isn't just about the parents. Gotham is in need, lets focus on that.

I like what your saying, its like, there are bigger things happening to worry about stuff that has happened in the past

yeah true i probably am just use to the 90s batman movies when they talked about his parents every film
Not Batman Returns.

And considering all the stuff that was going on in the film, I can't think of any moment where bringing his parents up wouldn't have been forced. I thought it was more than enough that Alfred comforted Bruce in almost the exact same way he comforted him as a child when his parents died. One of the best moments of the film, IMO. Having said that, I do hope that they bring up his parents in the third movie to bring the trilogy full circle.

I wish he would've had a portrait or something of them in the house somewhere. I think it would've worked well if he was sitting in front of his parent's portrait after Rachel died and Dent was scarred. He just could've been staring at it blankly. Wondering if Batman has failed after those events. Then you could've continued the scene regularly. Just as a nod.

UA-Archangel said:
It would be redundant.Nolan's Batman is so involved in maintaining his image as Bruce and his crusade as Batman, he probably never really thinks about his parents much.
I always considered Bruce to be forever 'scarred' by his parents death. He watched them both get shot and die at a very young age.In Begins he found a purpose in his life and was able to destroy crime in Gotham, but I personally consider his parents death to be something that will forever haunt him, no matter how successful he is at being Batman.Also, I hated how unemotional Bruce was at Rachel's death. He's known her (and had feelings for her) since he was a kid. He sheds a few tears, then boom. Next scene he's making a comical quip with Alfred about Lamborguini's and the Batpod.I think there should've been a scene of Bruce looking at the arrowhead Rachel gave him for his birthday in Begins.

It would be redundant.

Nolan's Batman is so involved in maintaining his image as Bruce and his crusade as Batman, he probably never really thinks about his parents much.
You sir have failed Batman 101!
I hated how unemotional Bruce was at Rachel's death. He's known her (and had feelings for her) since he was a kid. He sheds a few tears, then boom. Next scene he's making a comical quip with Alfred about Lamborguini's and the Batpod.I think there should've been a scene of Bruce looking at the arrowhead Rachel gave him for his birthday in Begins.
What? Oh come on! He was clearly broken. And he didnt make any comical quips. He just said that it wouldnt be very subtle. Alfred's line was the comical one. And its not like he cracked up laughing.

Sometimes it seems to me that various media (comics, TV cartoons, etc.) mention his parents TOO much. Sure he's obsessed, but it can get to be tedious to mention it excessively. It's not really necessary.

I always considered Bruce to be forever 'scarred' by his parents death. He watched them both get shot and die at a very young age.In Begins he found a purpose in his life and was able to destroy crime in Gotham, but I personally consider his parents death to be something that will forever haunt him, no matter how successful he is at being Batman.Also, I hated how unemotional Bruce was at Rachel's death. He's known her (and had feelings for her) since he was a kid. He sheds a few tears, then boom. Next scene he's making a comical quip with Alfred about Lamborguini's and the Batpod.I think there should've been a scene of Bruce looking at the arrowhead Rachel gave him for his birthday in Begins.
Batman does not do this:

feelingskk8.gif

That he suppresses his emotions (apart from his anger, of course) is part of the character. I'm reminded of his reactions from two other films where he loses the love of his life: Batman Returns and Mask of the Phantasm. He doesn't exactly bawl his eyes out when Catwoman "dies", despite the fact that she was likely the only woman who could have ever truly understood him. And then there's his reaction in Mask of the Phantasm to the loss of Andrea.

grievingbj3.jpg

Very similar to the scene in TDK where he's grieving Rachel's loss. With one exception: if you look at his eyes, you will notice there aren't even any tears there. Like I said, the character tends to have a habit of holding back his emotions.

yea if there were tears all hell mightve broken loose for some people

The issue was beaten to death in BB. I'm glad TDK moved on.

They usually mention the death of his parents in every batman movie because that was the spark that created him.
That's one of the reasons for not mentioning it in TDK; everyone knows that. The film's story didn't call for that. It would've been unnecessary. Perhaps in the next film, he may visit their burial site at some point, (especially if Wayne Manor is back)but I hope the next film focuses on other things.

I saw someone say on these boards that they should have included a scene of Bruce at their grave site.

BRUCE WAYNE IS NOT PETER PARKER!!!!!!!!!!

Do you really wanna see Bruce crying like a little baby for 50 percent of the series?

Well done Nolan, I don't think we'll be seeing flashback after flashback of Bruce's parents death.

I liked in 89 how he just kinda laid roses at the site of their murder...he didn't make it some big media blowout thing, and he didn't blubber and cry like an infant. He just walked up, knelt down, took out the roses, and I'd like to think maybe say a little prayer or a silent "I love you" to them. However in Mask of the Phantasm, I LOVED how Bruce went to their graves and wanted to be release of the obligation to be Batman. He wasn't all sissy Peter Parker about it, I thought it was a very cool scene even for a cartoon.

I wouldn't mind a cemetery visit. But it wasn't necessary.

I'm glad there was no mention of Bruce's parents, also I was not too crazy about Linus Roach as Thomas Wayne.
On a related note, I really like how Alfred even more than in BB is like a surrogate father to Bruce, that scene where he explains the Joker to him is so powerful. Among other things the Nolans really nailed the dynamics of the relationship between Bruce and Alfred imo.

Batman does not do this:

feelingskk8.gif

That he suppresses his emotions (apart from his anger, of course) is part of the character. I'm reminded of his reactions from two other films where he loses the love of his life: Batman Returns and Mask of the Phantasm. He doesn't exactly bawl his eyes out when Catwoman "dies", despite the fact that she was likely the only woman who could have ever truly understood him. And then there's his reaction in Mask of the Phantasm to the loss of Andrea.

grievingbj3.jpg

Very similar to the scene in TDK where he's grieving Rachel's loss. With one exception: if you look at his eyes, you will notice there aren't even any tears there. Like I said, the character tends to have a habit of holding back his emotions.
:up: :up:

Someone mentioned Mask of the Phantasm earlier in the thread and that film has a good Bruce Wayne/Cemetery scene. Hes asking his parents if he can give up being Batman, saying he doesn't need it anymore cos without it he can be happy etc etc. He does also consider this in The Dark Knight and wouldve tied in quite nicely i feel. Also after saying he doesnt need it he wouldve just carried on being Batman showing he does need it which woudlve tied in with Rachel's line in the letter about him always needing Batman or something to that effect.

But its nit picking quite majorly. To be fair i didnt even notice his parents wernt mentioned til i thought about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"