No reviews yet for the new FF movie? Hmmm I smell

Do mcu films generate interest and revenue due to being 'good' and source accurate demonstrations of quality or do they achieve what they achieve based on novelty and the promise of rdj showing up and avengers...

I would hope and imagine fans argue the former. Though you seemingly did the opposite just now.
Ant man is good enough that it would have performed well on it's own merit regardless of novelty is something I can see a fan arguing. mcu spidey will do well due to quality and story(like spidey 2) and not simply because he's going to bet high fiving the avengers on camera.

I loved Ant-Man, but it did indeed get an MCU bump.

Do mcu films generate interest and revenue due to being 'good' and source accurate demonstrations of quality or do they achieve what they achieve based on novelty and the promise of rdj showing up and avengers...

I would hope and imagine fans argue the former. Though you seemingly did the opposite just now.
Ant man is good enough that it would have performed well on it's own merit regardless of novelty is something I can see a fan arguing. mcu spidey will do well due to quality and story(like spidey 2) and not simply because he's going to bet high fiving the avengers on camera.

Who says these two things are mutually exclusive? People know that the Marvel movies have a consistent quality because they are connected to one another. So they're going to go see the movie both because they know it's good (if you like one MCU film, there's several more you'd easily like as well) and they want to watch the next installment of the MCU. This is straying from my original point, and way off topic.

I loved Ant-Man, but it did indeed get an MCU bump.

Exactly, most people would agree with this. That's why Cyclop's original argument is so laughable. But, again, this is all sort of off topic.

And Ant-Man still sold less tickets than The Incredible Hulk opening weekend even with that Marvel boost. Marvel were smart to keep the budget down.

As for the report that the screening went well. That's fine, I won't dispute that but I'm going to wait until critics review it. I don't always agree with critics or go see films just because the critics liked or disliked a film but for films I think look crappy, reviews matter.

Last edited:
Who says these two things are mutually exclusive? People know that the Marvel movies have a consistent quality because they are connected to one another. So they're going to go see the movie both because they know it's good (if you like one MCU film, there's several more you'd easily like as well) and they want to watch the next installment of the MCU. This is straying from my original point, and way off topic.

Exactly, most people would agree with this. That's why Cyclop's original argument is so laughable. But, again, this is all sort of off topic.

The crux being it's not a measure of the films quality but rather the momentum built up prior that's doing the heavy lifting. Like if someone chalked up spidey 3's numbers to it's own quality, Tdkr's big numbers to it's own merit and not what came just before. These examples at least 'earning' the conventional pass and handicap of everyone knowing what's really going on(second sequels). I get what you are saying though I'm not sure lumping mcu's best with their worst is all that much of a compliment to their best, personally.
Of course ant man enjoyed a bump from whedon and james gun's work. The question remaining what would that film have done in the same scenario as all these other films it's being compared to. I'd argue well given it's a good time but others would argue it would do far less given how much of a crutch the 5th sequel to avengers gave it.
I digress, off topic.

F4 would no doubt enjoy the boost of that sort of novelty, I know thor does. Perhaps it's sequel will if fox delivers on their own shared novelty plans. Novelty goes along way. If F4 right now was being sold as part of the DCEU it would get a boost. Some films seemingly stand on their own however, even in this day and age.

Ant-man says hello.

So by contrast are you saying people wouldn't have gone to see Ant-Man if it wasn't in the MCU?

If so that says to me you think people care more about a connection to other movies and a brand name above the title than an actual interest in the movie at hand.

I should clarify something though. When I said

Also GA don't care enough about universes that they'd see a movie only if it's part of it

I meant "Also GA don't care enough about universes that they'd only see a movie if it's part of it".
Meaning if it isn't in the MCU then they'd skip it because of that.

If for example Ant-Man wasn't in the MCU the vast vast majority of people wouldn't have skipped it because of that fact.

By the way, this isn't true. The first review for Jurassic World was put up in April.

Thanks for the clarification. Wasn't sure just something I heard

Last edited:
No reviews yet for the new FF movie to be released on August 7th?

When a hyped movie get no reviews this close to release date you have to wonder why. Several of the other movies released on August 7th have Rotten Tomato reviews.

The Fantastic Four has not. What does this mean? The stench can be smelled from Mole Man's deepest pit? I think so.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/browse/upcoming/

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2015/07/fantastic_four_review_embargo.html

With all the negative buzz from fans on the radical changes, the youth of the group and the "more realistic" tone and Torch being black, you'd think they'd be dying to squash that! And the best way to do that would be to put out some good reviews out there......IF THEY EXIST!! Lol

Ant Man got great reviews. And if there was a movie the critics were looking to hate , it was this one. It was pegged as Marvels first huge flop. But the reviews were strong. If there was a movie the critics were pulling for, it's FF, because the media wants the black Torch to succeed. And we don't have reviews released ?? Ok.

Critics are never looking to hate a Marvel film. They are never the underdog, even with the Edgar Wright stuff that film still wasn't some sort of underdog.

On almost every website I've visited, when the positive Twitter reactions are posted, people keep bringing up Green Lantern. Yes it did get positive reaction and still did not fair well; it got slaughtered.

But nobody brings up the positive Twitter reactions to X-Men: DOFP, Cap 2 or GOTG. All had positive Twitter reactions and they all turned out great.

Hell, even The Wolverine had pretty good Twitter reactions and people kept bringing up Green Lantern and Origins. The Wolverine turned out to be a good flick.

Good Twitter reactions - Remember Green Lantern, movie will probably suck
Negative Twitter reactions - Told you so, movie sucks

Double Standard.

The reason people aren't bringing it up is because its irrelevant: if bad movies get positive initial tweets, and good movies also get positive initial tweets? Then "initial tweets" is basically useless for judging a movie.

Thus, your left either with "no knowledge whatsoever of relevance", or you go back to all the prior evidence that existed before the initial tweets.

The movie will contain only 1hr&35min worth of actual film. Sucks sucks sucks already there. It's way too short, and it duals origins of Four leads, including a villain. I bet it'll be just like Chronicle, and end so weak and flat and never really feeling like it peaked. Trank should've made a 2 hour movie out of this. This shouldn't have been his mediocre found footage Chronicle film here, and now it seems like he's made the exact same mistake. It'll no doubt be one of those films that ends way too soon, leaving the audience feeling it never really came to begin before end credits started to roll. So sad! If this film fails it bye bye FF4. This was their only chance. No wonder they're keeping everything under embargo to the very day of release... I feel a true stinker coming on, can't help it. I truly hoped for an awesome movie here though.

The movie will contain only 1hr&35min worth of actual film. Sucks sucks sucks already there. It's way too short, and it duals origins of Four leads, including a villain. I bet it'll be just like Chronicle, and end so weak and flat and never really feeling like it peaked. Trank should've made a 2 hour movie out of this. This shouldn't have been his mediocre found footage Chronicle film here, and now it seems like he's made the exact same mistake. It'll no doubt be one of those films that ends way too soon, leaving the audience feeling it never really came to begin before end credits started to roll. So sad! If this film fails it bye bye FF4. This was their only chance. No wonder they're keeping everything under embargo to the very day of release... I feel a true stinker coming on, can't help it. I truly hoped for an awesome movie here though.

The worst part is that it is a 1h35 min movie, but for the first 60 % of this time, there is no action. My source, who has seen the movie, said that this movie is "a two part movie. The first hour is basically a presentation of the characters, there meeting, etc.... The 35 to 40 last minutes is the second part that contains all the action. And, from the way my source (who is a very reliable and respectable critics), the two parts don't mesh well together, like two movies linked together for no reason. And the 1h30 movie is an old trick that I thought was abandonned 10 years ago. The studio ordered to cut a two hour movie into a 1h30 in order to have one more film show per day and so maximize the profit during the first week. Movies like Highlander Endgame or Daredevil suffered this... for the worst (compare the director's cut of Daredevil to the theatrical release...)

Oh dear lord. That review seems accurate, but if so...

Our heroes (and Victor) go on the mission because they're drunk?!

Oh dear lord. That review seems accurate, but if so...

Our heroes (and Victor) go on the mission because they're drunk?!

Yep, explains the chair scene, right?

But you and a few others around here should be happy that this sounds about as bad as anyone could possibly imagine and the review feels very genuine to me. Nearly everything fits nearly everything I know.

But you and a few others around here should be happy that this sounds about as bad as anyone could possibly imagine and the review feels very genuine to me. Nearly everything fits nearly everything I know.

Lets hope Fox hiding this movie does not work for them. But think of it this way. If this does get #1 this weekend. The second weekend drop will be glorious & Fox hiding this will back fire on them. In the long run. If anything the more people that sees this. Will be a bad thing for this movie in the long run of things & people will remember that Fox hid this movie. Hopefully Tom Cruise can block this movie from #1

That just seems like blatant dishonesty. Fox can't embargo critics and at the same time give cite critics as favorably reviewing the film in their marketing. False advertising to the extreme.

Writers absolutely hate this crap, but it happens all the time. I remember Roger Ebert complaining about this that there was some movie that pulled a quote from him out of context that made it look like he endorsed a movie, that he didn't like.

This looks like a legit review: *edit* major spoilers, but it also confirms that it is Von Doom now and Dr. Allen instead of Harvery Elder (those details were reported elsewhere).

http://gollumpus.blogspot.sg/2015/08/movie-review-fant4stic-four-2015.html?m=1
It look worse than I thought...
Then you get to the actual final showdown and it just looks like whoever thought it up was watching Saturday Morning Cartoons and thought he could do better with both hands tied behind his back while being stoned on LSD. I've seen better fight scenes and final showdowns in a Power Ranger episode.

The film felt like the folks that wrote the script began to run out of ideas just after they got the characters to Planet Zero and instead of figuring out how to tell a damn good story just fell back on tried and true cliched dialogue and sentiments. And the fight scenes were so uninspired and pathetic if you thought what they did with the first two films back in 2005 and 2007 were bad wait till you see the scenes in this one.

FWIW the latest ad references positive reviews from Empire & CBS Radio...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIJFOI_m4ks
They should have add "it's not a disaster" :woot:

That just seems like blatant dishonesty. Fox can't embargo critics and at the same time give cite critics as favorably reviewing the film in their marketing. False advertising to the extreme.
I seem to have more faith in this movie than most here, but even I can't disagree with this. That's just wrong.

I'm not sure "happy" is the correct word. If anything, this film failing would fill me more with a sort of manic glee in seeing a bull**** adaptation suffer the way fans have suffered. It's not real happiness, though. I'd be happy if it was a good movie about the Fantastic Four battling giant monsters in between their daily events, like the pursuit of science, shopping, playing poker, and whatnot. I'd be happy if it was a good movie about the Fantastic Four defending people from the Atlanteans and trying to make peace. I'd be happy if the Skrulls were engineering a Super Skrull to combat the World's Greatest Heroes.

This looks like a legit review: *edit* major spoilers, but it also confirms that it is Von Doom now and Dr. Allen instead of Harvery Elder (those details were reported elsewhere).

http://gollumpus.blogspot.sg/2015/08/movie-review-fant4stic-four-2015.html?m=1

I like how they changed Tim Blake Nelson's name and we're actually getting Victor Von Doom.

I dislike the idea of the FF being 16 years old. Particularly with actors who are a decade older than the characters they are portraying.

I also dislike the protagonists getting drunk. If they built the machine and were going to use it anyway, wouldn't it make more sense for them to just be sober and go through the teleporter as part of a planned experiment? Doing otherwise seems odd to me. It also seems out of character for Reed.

If they're in the Negative Zone, why not set the film on Mantracora and have the FF meet up with an alien civilization? Simply teleporting to a barren planet seems a bit small for a sci-fi movie. It's also small for the FF considering all the alien races in the Negative Zone.

As for poor line delivery, it sounds like Trank is a worse director than nearly everyone thought. It wasn't just that he was uncommunicative and indecisive, it's that he didn't do anything interesting with a great cast. You have actors from House of Cards, Whiplash, The Wire and Nymphomaniac and did wasted all that potential. If this cast couldn't pull their weight, than it says more about Trank than it does the actors.

As for the title of worst Marvel adaptation ever, is this film really going to be worse than XMO, TASM2, Elektra, Ghost Rider 2 or 3 Dev Adam?

I'm not sure "happy" is the correct word. If anything, this film failing would fill me more with a sort of manic glee in seeing a bull**** adaptation suffer the way fans have suffered. It's not real happiness, though. I'd be happy if it was a good movie about the Fantastic Four battling giant monsters in between their daily events, like the pursuit of science, shopping, playing poker, and whatnot. I'd be happy if it was a good movie about the Fantastic Four defending people from the Atlanteans and trying to make peace. I'd be happy if the Skrulls were engineering a Super Skrull to combat the World's Greatest Heroes.

Well said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"