"NO SIDEKICKS!*grumble grumble*

Astro13Zombie

Superhero
Reaction score
So i saw the poll on the front page of shh today.
"What do you think about Sebastian Stan playing Bucky in "Captain America"?"

And it says that 28.3% said..
"There's going to be a sidekick, seriously?"

I don't understand the hate for sidekicks in live action movies..
I understand that The schumacher Batman "films" left a bad taste in more than a few mouths...and the Adam West batman series turned sidekicks into a silly thing....BUT
A sidekick is just a partner..

" side·kick:
n. Slang
A close companion or comrade."
If you take that into consideration and look at a few of your favorite movie Duos...
You will see that one of them is essentially the sidekick...even if they don't call it that or talk about it.

P.S
Kato from the original Green Hornet series was awesome....and if you disagree...
He will karate chop you to Oblivion.

2lup3yt.jpg

I think sidekicks will happen in time. The thing that may make people hesitant about them could be the stigma of sidekicks being kids or inferior versions of the main hero. Once a sidekick is done well, I'm sure studios will get on the bandwagon. The movie industry is a copycat industry.

^ The Truth.

There's going to be a sidekick, seriously?

I'm not being sarcastic but... seriously?

I'm not a fan of Capt. America and I already didn't like Chris Evans being him. But now... Bucky?

I think sidekicks will happen in time. The thing that may make people hesitant about them could be the stigma of sidekicks being kids or inferior versions of the main hero. Once a sidekick is done well, I'm sure studios will get on the bandwagon. The movie industry is a copycat industry.

Sidekicks have happened throughout time. And it's the very results what have put most people against them.

Sure, if they become successful they might be back. Thing is, will they?

War Machine was definitely a step in the right direction, and I think Nolan has the ability to pull of Robin - he just chooses not too.

Big Daddy and Hit -girl :up:

There would be some fallacy in adding Robin in the Nolanverse but if he tried ot pull it off it would come out really well.

It depends on the execution and the character. I hate Robin with a passion. But Big Daddy + Hit Girl and Iron Man + War Machine are great teams.

People are just very pessimistic about sidekicks because they can't acknowledge that characters like Robin aren't bad, it's just that they we're badly written and the director didn't have a really accurate Robin in his head either.

This is like shouting "No Superman!" after Superman 4, or "No Batman!" after Batman & Robin... Or "No Spidey!" after Spider-Man 3. :p Sidekicks will happen in time, and already people are loving War Machine & Hit-Girll.

It's time to start bringing them in, and yes, Robin needs to debut in the bat films.

and anyone hating on Robin has obviously never seen a single episode of Batman: The Animated Series

People are just very pessimistic about sidekicks because they can't acknowledge that characters like Robin aren't bad, it's just that they we're badly written and the director didn't have a really accurate Robin in his head either.

Well, one wonders how nobody has been able to get such an amazingly good character right.

I think the character might work on comics but in movies it's really hard to accept such concept next to batman.

This is like shouting "No Superman!" after Superman 4, or "No Batman!" after Batman & Robin... Or "No Spidey!" after Spider-Man 3.

Nobody has said that. They mostly said 'if there's another make it better.'

Sidekicks will happen in time, and already people are loving War Machine & Hit-Girll.

It depends on the sidekick actually. I haven't seen those movies yet (I'm not sure if they're releasing Kick-ass in my country so I might have to wait for the dvd).

As the original poster said, Kato ruled.

It's time to start bringing them in, and yes, Robin needs to debut in the bat films.

and anyone hating on Robin has obviously never seen a single episode of Batman: The Animated Series

I've seen episodes of the animated series with Robin in it and it was nothing I'm dying to bring to the big screen.

It all depends on execution. Bruce Lee's portrayal oa Kato was awsome. Burt Ward's portrayal of Robin? Not so much.

Miller's recent retelling of how Dick Grayson's parents were murdered and he became Bruce Wayne's ward, how he was given the name 'Robin', etc, would all fit very well in Nolan's Batman films. He would just have to cast the movie better than they did for Batman Forever. Chris O'Donnel as Dick/Robin? Wasn't he like pushing thirty at the time they made that movie? A little old for playing The Boy Wonder. If they do add Robin to the future Batman films, they had better cast an actual kid who's like 11 or 12 years old (about the same age Dick was when Bruce took him in).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"