Noir is PISSED OFF.

N

Noir

I recently bought a PS3 i.e. January, so I was chilling here today (I only use it for Blu-Ray and Resistance) I went to pop in a copy of Time Splitters 2 and what do you know! My model doesn't play PS2 games.. I figured it was just because it was a lower sized HD (40GB) but.. a google search reveals that the 20 GB model plays the god damn games! WTF!?

Sony, you are officially ass-hats. and Best Buy your complete ***** for telling me that the model would play PS2 games.

Where have you been? Its been common knowledge since October that the 40gb does not play PS2 games. It even says so on the box. Sorry but thats on you right there.

I've never followed this news, I wasn't even planning on getting one until my sister demanded one for her birthday.

Oh ok. Sony took out the BC in the 40gb as well as the flash media readers and 2 USB sticks in order to help reduce costs and sell it at the lower price point. Those wanting BC should have gotten hte 80gb as that has software based BC.

Did you go and get rid of your PS2?

Only thing I can tell you then is to return the PS3 and get an 80gb but htats only if you still are within your 30 days, can actually find one and are willing to spend $100 more. Either that or buy a new PS2

Oh ok. Sony took out the BC in the 40gb as well as the flash media readers and 2 USB sticks in order to help reduce costs and sell it at the lower price point. Those wanting BC should have gotten hte 80gb as that has software based BC.

Did you go and get rid of your PS2?

Get a clue havok

Jack Tretton himself admitted that the reason for removing BC had NOTHING to do with cost reduction

The purpose was to force people to buy ps3 games as many were using it simply for BC and blu-ray due to the shocking quality of early ps3 games.

Jack Tretton has said a lot of insane things that didn't mesh with the rest of Sony Corporate. This wouldn't be the first time, you'll have to find something more substantial then his rantings.

Get a clue havok

Jack Tretton himself admitted that the reason for removing BC had NOTHING to do with cost reduction

The purpose was to force people to buy ps3 games as many were using it simply for BC and blu-ray due to the shocking quality of early ps3 games.
and you honestly think removing a part wouldnt save them any money?

the 80gig runs ps2 games via emulation software.

try again
Wrong. It runs partly on software emulation. Originally the PS3 was equipped with teh PS2's Emotion Engine and Graphics Synthesizer. With the 80gb, they took out the EE and the BC became partly software emulation. With the 40gb, the GS was removed and theres no BC at all bc of that.

yes I'm familiar with that. It's essentially a collection of resistors and wires, which as we all know are massively expensive commodities :rolleyes:

it may have contributed to the cost reductions in some small way but if you honestly believe it had nothing to do with forcing people to upgrade to ps3 games then you're in denial

add to that the endless comments concerning how "pathetic" the 360's BC is from ps3 fanboys right up until this anouncement was made, and you can see that it's clearly an important issue

Interesting that once again something gets stripped away by sony and all of a sudden it's discussed as if it doesn't matter.

Corporate apologists :down

likely response from havok said:
because it's teh best way to do things

I have no idea why it's good

but sony says it's good so I'll just fall in line and start complimenting them on their excellent business acumen and grasp of ethical trading

:dry:

yes I'm familiar with that. It's essentially a collection of resistors and wires, which as we all know are massively expensive commodities :rolleyes:

it may have contributed to the cost reductions in some small way but if you honestly believe it had nothing to do with forcing people to upgrade to ps3 games then you're in denial
well wouldnt that be teh purpose of a buyer purchasing a PS3 to begin with? If you dont want PS3 games, then why fork over $500 dollars on a system when you can just as well get a $129 PS2, that is assuming that you dont already own one to play your games on.

I dont get this notion that Sony is forcing people to upgrade to PS3 games with the decision. Why would anyone not interested in PS3 games get a PS3? The only reason I can come up with is using it as a BR player. Thats like saying I'll pay $400 on this machine so I can upconvert my DVDs but not use it for its main function. If you dont want to use it for PS3 games, then go get teh much cheaper DVD upconverter or in the case of this discussion, the much cheaper PS2

add to that the endless comments concerning how "pathetic" the 360's BC is from ps3 fanboys right up until this anouncement was made, and you can see that it's clearly an important issue

Interesting that once again something gets stripped away by sony and all of a sudden it's discussed as if it doesn't matter.

Corporate apologists :down
Then go take it up with those ps3 fanboys who vented about the 360's BC

Not partly software emulation, full emulation:
http://www.edge-online.co.uk/archives/2007/02/sony_rethinks_p.php

Also, why offer this feature of a 20 gig, 60 gig, and 80 gig but not the 40 gig?
I dont get the point of posting that article. It talks about the PAL 60gb which internally is the same as the 80gb. Again the only reason why software emulation is possible through both of those is bc it contains the PS2 component within the systems which is needed for at. Without the GS or the EE, they can not do software emulation, at least not now.

the 80gig runs ps2 games via emulation software.

try again

Actually it runs with PS2 hardware, just without the CPU.

Try again troll.

It still uses the GS Chip and some of the logic circuitry of the PS2.

At least know what you're talking about. (and the EE/GS are the most expensive part of the PS2)

Launch PS3 with full PS2 inside

463096475_9dde805cd4.jpg

European 60GB PS3 and 80GB:

463096553_5d0d336b3f.jpg

PS3 40GB:

1802652525_aa0c26b42a.jpg
[/

Not partly software emulation, full emulation:
http://www.edge-online.co.uk/archives/2007/02/sony_rethinks_p.php

Also, why offer this feature of a 20 gig, 60 gig, and 80 gig but not the 40 gig?

Sony had been losing the most money per unti in console history. They needed a way to get the price down to get it into a range were more people would buy it and lower costs so they wouldn't be bleeding billions.

THe good news is that their finally making a profit and there are rumors about the 40 gigs eventually being full software BC, but we'll see. I agree it sucks to buy a 40 gig only to find out that it doesn't play PS2 games.

I'd totally go back, demand a full refund, and a discount on an 80 gig.

The reason I have not bought a 40gig yet is partly because of it having no BC. Now, I need it to be about $120 cheaper so I can go out and buy a PS2 in addition to it. And I dont think the PS3 is going to drop to only costing $280 until the PS4 is out...so, there's that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"