The Dark Knight Nolan talks the Dark Knight (8/39

BatMatt

Superhero
Reaction score
ComingSoon ran this blurb about Nolan commenting on Batman Begins and The Dark Knight:
Nolan said he was very surprised by Batman Begins' success, "for the simple reason that I felt we had really poured out hearts out in making a good film and that on our own terms we had succeeded. I never really expected to satisfy critics and Batman fans and regular audiences equally. I mean I thought maybe we'd get two points on the drawing board if you like, but the fact that all three seemed to respond well, that was a big surprise to me. I mean it felt like you were going to lose one aspect or someone… I think we were very fortunate in that regard, it's very gratifying."

Talking about the follow-up, in which Heath Ledger will play The Joker opposite Christian Bale, he mentioned that they're changing things up. "I think what people responded to well about 'Batman Begins' is how different it was from their expectations so I think we would be foolish to not recognize that and to [try to replicate that now predictable blueprint]. I think we'll be doing something very different for the sequel. I certainly wouldn't have any interest in trying to repeat experience or the formula we've made, because particularly being the origin story, it's a very unique thing, a very singular experience. My interest would sort of be to move on from that and to do something quite different."

All sounds great to me :up:

EDIT: sorry about the date screw up in the title of this thread

I like how he said "My interest would sort of be to move on from that and to do something quite different.". Dear God, I can't wait.:(

Good, just keep it real and do right be the comics and you have the makings of a classic film.

Sounds great. Still anxious to see how it's going to go along. Will somebody just leak the screenplay already?!!

BatMatt said:
ComingSoon ran this blurb about Nolan commenting on Batman Begins and The Dark Knight:
Nolan said he was very surprised by Batman Begins' success, "for the simple reason that I felt we had really poured out hearts out in making a good film and that on our own terms we had succeeded. I never really expected to satisfy critics and Batman fans and regular audiences equally. I mean I thought maybe we'd get two points on the drawing board if you like, but the fact that all three seemed to respond well, that was a big surprise to me. I mean it felt like you were going to lose one aspect or someone… I think we were very fortunate in that regard, it's very gratifying."

Talking about the follow-up, in which Heath Ledger will play The Joker opposite Christian Bale, he mentioned that they're changing things up. "I think what people responded to well about 'Batman Begins' is how different it was from their expectations so I think we would be foolish to not recognize that and to [try to replicate that now predictable blueprint]. I think we'll be doing something very different for the sequel. I certainly wouldn't have any interest in trying to repeat experience or the formula we've made, because particularly being the origin story, it's a very unique thing, a very singular experience. My interest would sort of be to move on from that and to do something quite different."

All sounds great to me :up:

EDIT: sorry about the date screw up in the title of this thread

so long as he meant "different" being different from what the previous movie and live TV franchises have done then i'm cool with that. :up:

if he meant different by going away from the comics then we're in trouble :down

Q: Any truth to the rumors of Ryan Phillippe or Phillip Seymore Hoffman?

CN: (Laughing) As the penguin, no, not true.

Q: Sean Penn?

CN: No truth, no truth to any of those rumors. All interesting ideas though.

I think this part also refers to the other casting rumors- possibly....

Mr. Vice said:
Uh oh, When Nolan was asked about Phillipe and Hoffman, he said "(Laughing) As the penguin, no, not true.". He didn't say anything about Dent, so, could it be.......
Well he also said ''No truth, no truth to any of those rumors. All interesting ideas though.'' Your guess is as good as mine.

Mr. Vice said:
Uh oh, When Nolan was asked about Phillipe and Hoffman, he said "(Laughing) As the penguin, no, not true.". He didn't say anything about Dent, so, could it be.......

Well, he just mentioned The Penguin, so I somehow got the impression that he thought were both rumored for The Penguin. I'm probably wrong, of course.

Tempest19 said:
Q: Any truth to the rumors of Ryan Phillippe or Phillip Seymore Hoffman?

CN: (Laughing) As the penguin, no, not true.

Q: Sean Penn?

CN: No truth, no truth to any of those rumors. All interesting ideas though.

I think this part also refers to the other casting rumors- possibly....

Well, he did call the ideas "interesting", so, its a possibility.

Horsepoop said:
IESB has posted the complete interview and Nolan responds to all the casting rumors

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=248&Itemid=99

dammit he addressed the Penguin rumours but completely bypassed the Philippe rumour. i have a very bad feeling about this :(

his words are echoing in my head now "My interest in the sequel is to move on from there and do something quite different."
dear god, what does he mean by different? different from the formula of what made BB so successful? different from the comics? where are you taking us Nolan?

Steelsheen said:
dammit he addressed the Penguin rumours but completely bypassed the Philippe rumour. i have a very bad feeling about this :(

his words are echoing in my head now "My interest in the sequel is to move on from there and do something quite different."
dear god, what does he mean by different? different from the formula of what made BB so successful? different from the comics? where are you taking us Nolan?
Darker, more adult-oriented.

Thanks Nolan for keeping up the hard work on such a beloved franchice. Batman Begins was my favorite film of 2005. I'm sure if you keep this up, The Dark Knight will be my favorite of 2008.

Steelsheen said:
BB was darker, more adult oriented. :o
Now picture TDK going beyond that.

Darker than that- a whole lot darker. I mean, this is the Joker we are talking about. Whose jokes can sometimes be very, very sadistic.

My only fear is that it will cause the same reaction to parents as Batman Returns did. Now THAT is my only fear.

Note: Parents found BR to be too dark and complained to a point in which Burton was kicked off the project and years later we got the kid friendly Batman Forever.

iesb.net is so hard to read! I hate the white font on black background. It's a pointless website either way, though, I guess.

Jett seems to be really dropping the ball here.

His Hoffman rumors - debunked

Heath Ledger? - he hadn't a clue until it happened.

The title of the film - yet again, he had no clue until it happened.

Sean Penn? - His source seems to be telling him lies.

Ryan Philippe - probably a rumor that he started.

The fact that websites, including this one, were invited to do this interview during the editing of the Prestige, and Batman on Film wasn't? - proof that Jett's sources are made up and he pumps up actor's names/sides with the studio so he can get in good with them. Apparently, no one is listening.

Jett is a phoney.

Tempest19 said:
Darker than that- a whole lot darker. I mean, this is the Joker we are talking about. Whose jokes can sometimes be very, very sadistic.

My only fear is that it will cause the same reaction to parents as Batman Returns did. Now THAT is my only fear.
hmm, good point. i always liked BR but my dad couldnt stand it whenever i watch it.

strike a balance Nolan. strike a balance.

$G-mOnEy$ said:
Jett seems to be really dropping the ball here.

His Hoffman rumors - debunked
Yep.
Heath Ledger? - he hadn't a clue until it happened.
Yep.
The title of the film - yet again, he had no clue until it happened.
Yep.
Sean Penn? - His source seems to be telling him lies.
Yep.
Ryan Philippe - probably a rumor that he started.
I don't know about this. From the way Nolan said it, it sounded like he thought Phillippe was rumored for The Penguin along with Hoffman.

LOL Jett got invited to the set of BB. Introduced a one sheet to the internet and nailed interviews with the freakin Producer of Batman Begins.

Not bad for a website that started on WebTV.

Jett is for real - he just reports everything he hears...everything.

And God bless him for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"