Nordic Aliens

they hired lots of british actors im assuming they will use british accents. similar to the hulk vs thor characters. not sure they would try to use scandinavian accents. also with all the thees and thous the british accent seems like the way they are going.

I never understood why supposed Scandiwegians would use "thees and thous". They wouldn't actually be speaking English, so if one is translating, why not translate into modern English? :oldrazz:

Yeah but saying "It's magic!" is kinda weak answer, and you know characters like Tony Stark would have a hard time accepting an answer like that. :p

So is saying "SCIENCE!"

Not this type of science. Also, consider Clarke's Third Law.

Science is no more or less believable in fiction than magic. It's fiction.

Science is no more or less believable in fiction than magic. It's fiction.

Actually it's more believable. For example; it's more believable that Tony Stark created his suit scientifically than if he puffed it into existence by magic. There is a line of rationalle with science. Not every bit might be exactly correct, to allow for the fantastic in fiction, but it is always more "believable" than magic.

No, it's not. You need to suspend your disbelief with fantasy as much as you need to with science fiction. People don't watch Star Wars or the Lord of the Rings and disbelieve them due to the magic aspect in them. It's part of that world, and treated as part of it, and it's accepted, the same goes for the Marvel Universe.

I never understood why supposed Scandiwegians would use "thees and thous". They wouldn't actually be speaking English, so if one is translating, why not translate into modern English? :oldrazz:

I don't think they are translating. They used the characters from mythology and tried to make them more like Shakespeare. So the Thees and thous are in keeping with Shakespeare. Also they would have been speaking that way for centuries and wouldn't change with the rest of the world since they are not really from our earth. Just like how they still live in a castle and have no modern tech.

It is Norse mythos after all... what is to be expected from the crazies?

You can say arc-reactors and radioactive dudes are as outrageous as Asgardians, but that's not true. What is sci-fi? Science made fictitious, i.e. we take what we know for a fact and then we blow it up. Science-fiction is grounded in something real and tangible. Thor's completely imaginary in every sense. He's made-up. Thors and Odins don't exist on any level in reality. Crying suspension-of-disbelief here is a cop-out. Would you accept James Bond partnering with the Egyptian god Thoth in his next movie? No, because James Bond is established as something not fantastical in that sense.

The Marvel Movieverse has established itself as hardline sci-fi. You can't change the game midstream. It breaks the suspension of disbelief.

So, yeah, they can't just 'be' gods. It'd be silly and audiences would think its silly.

James Bond is far more based in reality than the Marvel movies. We already saw supernatural elements in Marvel movies with Ghost Rider and Blade. True, they don't technically count for the Avengers movie-verse because their rights are tied up in other studios, but they were successful films that put the idea of supernatural stuff in relation to Marvel's comic characters in people's minds. It's not entirely unprecedented. Moreover, they didn't feel the need to explain Ghost Rider or Blade as anything other than what they were in the comics, either: the demonic result of a Faustian bargain and a half-vampire, respectively. bad place, the movie Blade was even more supernatural than his comic counterpart, given that before the movie, the comic version was just a dude who was immune to vampire bites. They turned him into a half-breed in the comics because that take was so successful in the movies.
Yeah but saying "It's magic!" is kinda weak answer, and you know characters like Tony Stark would have a hard time accepting an answer like that. :p
No one's asking Tony to accept it. In the comics, Tony questioned the inner workings of Thor's powers plenty of times and, until he actually visited Asgard himself for the first time, he didn't actually believe Thor was a god. (I suspect he still has his doubts about it to this day, in spite of visiting Asgard on numerous occasions, too.)

But the audience doesn't need Thor's powers explained to them beyond saying Thor's a god who lives in another dimension--heaven to the ancient Norse, some place called Asgard to the rest of us. Just like the audience doesn't need the Hulk's transformations explained to them beyond saying, "Bruce was working on this scientific process and it was turned back on him, but instead of the intended effects, it turned him into a rampaging, 15-foot-tall green monster." We never get a detailed explanation of what Bruce was working on or the exact process of how it turned him into the Hulk because 1) that would never actually happen in reality, so there's no way to 'realistically' explain it, and 2) if they tried, it would just be meaningless technobabble that would bore half the audience to sleep.

If even the 'science'-based heroes don't need explaining, why should Thor? Saying he's an alien is just as arbitrary in the context of the fictional universe as saying he's a god. :huh:

Last edited:
James Bond is far more based in reality than the Marvel movies. We already saw supernatural elements in Marvel movies with Ghost Rider and Blade. True, they don't technically count for the Avengers movie-verse because their rights are tied up in other studios, but they were successful films that put the idea of supernatural stuff in relation to Marvel's comic characters in people's minds. It's not entirely unprecedented. Moreover, they didn't feel the need to explain Ghost Rider or Blade as anything other than what they were in the comics, either: the demonic result of a Faustian bargain and a half-vampire, respectively. bad place, the movie Blade was even more supernatural than his comic counterpart, given that before the movie, the comic version was just a dude who was immune to vampire bites. They turned him into a half-breed in the comics because that take was so successful in the movies.

No one's asking Tony to accept it. In the comics, Tony questioned the inner workings of Thor's powers plenty of times and, until he actually visited Asgard himself for the first time, he didn't actually believe Thor was a god. (I suspect he still has his doubts about it to this day, in spite of visiting Asgard on numerous occasions, too.)

But the audience doesn't need Thor's powers explained to them beyond saying Thor's a god who lives in another dimension--heaven to the ancient Norse, some place called Asgard to the rest of us. Just like the audience doesn't need the Hulk's transformations explained to them beyond saying, "Bruce was working on this scientific process and it was turned back on him, but instead of the intended effects, it turned him into a rampaging, 15-foot-tall green monster." We never get a detailed explanation of what Bruce was working on or the exact process of how it turned him into the Hulk because 1) that would never actually happen in reality, so there's no way to 'realistically' explain it, and 2) if they tried, it would just be meaningless technobabble that would bore half the audience to sleep.

If even the 'science'-based heroes don't need explaining, why should Thor? Saying he's an alien is just as arbitrary in the context of the fictional universe as saying he's a god. :huh:

In a movie where fantasy has been so far shown to not exist and there's effort being made to distinguish it as being realistic, to suddenly introduce a fantasy element necessitates an explanation.

Edit: Movieverse.*

Take Aliens vs Predator. If they make a sequel and all the sudden the Greek gods show up, people will be a little confused. For all intents and purposes, Thor is a sequel to Iron Man/Hulk, etc.

Last edited:
TheCorpulent1 said:
Just like the audience doesn't need the Hulk's transformations explained to them beyond saying, "Bruce was working on this scientific process and it was turned back on him, but instead of the intended effects, it turned him into a rampaging, 15-foot-tall green monster."

Well ......at the time that Marvel introduced their pantheon, radiation was a mysterious and frightening "real world" threat. Sci Fi cashed in on this apprehension and thrilled audiences with fantastic creatures created by radiation. They were a dime a dozen.....so the effect of "radiation" for Hulk, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, etc. was really all the explanation that was necessary. Radiation poisoning was an accepted reality, it was a science, and using it to create super-heroes was Sci Fi.
Magic and gods not so much so, then or today.

Stan Lee created Thor in 1962 and he became one of Marvel's most popular characters. So magic and gods were clearly okay back then, and I'm willing to bet that they are today. JMS just relaunched Thor to massive sales that have kept relatively strong even after he plagued the series with delays and then left it to a relative no-name writer in Kieron Gillen. People have consistently accepted magic alongside the sci fi in the comics, so why not in movies as well?
In a movie where fantasy has been so far shown to not exist and there's effort being made to distinguish it as being realistic, to suddenly introduce a fantasy element necessitates an explanation.

Take Aliens vs Predator. If they make a sequel and all the sudden the Greek gods show up, people will be a little confused. For all intents and purposes, Thor is a sequel to Iron Man/Hulk, etc.
I don't see it that way. I just see it as Marvel happened to choose two science-based heroes to make movies out of in the Avengers movie-verse before the magic-based Thor. And again, the movies are effectively just an attempt to adapt a huge swath of the comic universe to a new medium. There's certainly a minority of magic-based characters in the Marvel universe, but they're far from unheard of. bad place, the Avengers owe their entire existence in the comics to Loki, another magic-based character, so that element has been with the team right from the start. If Marvel's asking a new audience to accept the Avengers, that new audience needs to be prepared to accept magic in conjunction with science. It's simply a part of the source material, and it's proven successful for over 40 years now.

But even going by the previous movies in the Avengers franchise, I'm sure you've seen people claiming Thor makes a cameo in The Incredible Hulk during that big storm. He doesn't, but the fact that there are a bunch of clips of that supposed cameo posted on YouTube seems to indicate that people are more than willing to accept a magic-based character like Thor in the existing movie-verse. I haven't heard many stories of people walking out of the theater cracking jokes or being upset at the scene after the credits in Iron Man 2, either. People know Thor is coming and they seem generally excited for it, and this is long before we have any kind of pseudo-science applied to the character. All they know of at this point is the purely magic/fantasy-based comic version and one movie scene with his hammer, yet no one's screaming bloody murder at the thought of magic entering the Marvel universe besides a handful of uber-geeks like us on message boards like this, and clearly this discussion indicates that thoughts on the issue are split even among our hardcore fan minority.

Last edited:
TheCorpulent1 said:
Stan Lee created Thor in 1962 and he became one of Marvel's most popular characters. So magic and gods were clearly okay back then, and I'm willing to bet that they are today. JMS just relaunched Thor to massive sales that have kept relatively strong even after he plagued the series with delays and then left it to a relative no-name writer in Kieron Gillen. People have consistently accepted magic alongside the sci fi in the comics, so why not in movies as well?

Not saying they won't......I will.........my only point is... I don't think one can use acceptance of heroes whose origins are Sci-Fi based, to prove an argument that heroes who are based on magic, myth, and fantasy will be equally acceptable.

Last edited:
These arguments kinda remind me of that scene in Galaxy Quest where Sci-Fi fans are debating the theory of certain things that were done in the T.V show. LOL

It's fiction either way. Just accept things and be entertained.

The problem there Manowar is you STILL have those people who have the need to OVER THINK things.
Thor's been around since 1962 and in the Avengers almost as long. Why people need to have things explained to the point of BORING is beyond me.

There's been no indication that in either Hulk or Iron Man's movies that magic does not exist, it's not mentioned because neither character dealt with it. And it's different that introducing Greek Gods into AVP or Bond movies, because Aliens, Predators and Bond don't have that aspect in their respective canons, Iron Man and the Hulk (as characters of the Marvel Universe) do.

And if you think that any of what we see on film in any comic book movie is realistic, you need psychiatric help because you might be losing your grip on reality. Sci Fi and Fantasy can and have coexisted in the same stories before, to the point that to many, the two are nearly synonymous.

The fact of the matter is, taking the magic element out of Thor literally kills a huge part of the character, and to do it for the sake of some arbitrary "realism" is even more shameful.

No, it's not. You need to suspend your disbelief with fantasy as much as you need to with science fiction. People don't watch Star Wars or the Lord of the Rings and disbelieve them due to the magic aspect in them. It's part of that world, and treated as part of it, and it's accepted, the same goes for the Marvel Universe.

:doh:

Excellent come back. I might have to reconsider my entire worldview. It probably stems from my parents. Letting me engage is such behavior as playing D&D and reading comics. It completely ruined how I see things, and gave me such mental disorders as being content with my interests.

SuperFerret said:
And if you think that any of what we see on film in any comic book movie is realistic, you need psychiatric help because you might be losing your grip on reality

I disagree....details are placed in many films specifically to make them appear realistic........Spidey's fingers and presumably hands and feet, are laced with grippers.....giving a realistic explanation for wall crawling. That may not be real or possible, but it is an attempt to make the impossible seem realistic.

Still, adding small bits of "realism" is different from changing the core of a character in order to make them seem more acceptable to people who act like they're afraid of being teased for liking the character as is, are two different things. It's apples and air conditioners.

I disagree....details are placed in many films specifically to make them appear realistic........Spidey's fingers and presumably hands and feet, are laced with grippers.....giving a realistic explanation for wall crawling. That may not be real or possible, but it is an attempt to make the impossible seem realistic.
... until you realize that Spider-Man is wearing gloves and boots over those hairs. The gloves I can kind of see being thin enough to allow the hairs to go through, but Spider-Man's boots clearly have soles. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"