Superman Returns Now that we see the costume in action, still think the same?

I never really took any notice of it in the trailer so i guess it was fine

The only thing Im not really crazy about with the suit is the way the cape seems to change. Sometimes it looks thin and light and other times it looks kinda heavy...no big deal though, hopefully it will look consistant after post.

When Routh is standing on the rooftop in the trailer during the Lois scene with his arms crossed, tell me that's not just as 'Superman' as the best of Reeve shots. Somebody should find it and post it. For every pic in which he looks bad there's more in which he looks good IMO

also post a pic of lois on his feet in the air in front of the globe would be awsome as well

Wushuboy said:
Agreed with pretty much everything supersebas said.

routh.jpg

Superman? not quite yet.

I love how biased people are with saying a bad pic or look like there as proof of him not looking Supermanish. Apparently, you refuse to look at other better pics that made him look a lot like Superman should look. If you're going to say he don't look like Superman, don't use just 1 or 2 bad pics to prove it. I'm sure there were some pics of Reeve that look crap & he doesn't look like Supermanish. :p

I still hate the suit. I like Routh, I just hate the suit. And I still don't get why people still call it the REEVE ONE as that is the suit out of the comics from 1945 (with the shiled on the back of th cape added in the 50's to today). So that is the superman suit. This is Singers version, where as Donner's was the suit. Pick up any Supers comic and you dont see the S on the belt, a 3d shield, crew neck, thick boot botttoms, snake sink on the boots, etc. What you see is what was the Reeve suit.

And don't jump on me. This thread is asking an opinion based on seeing the trailer, and I am giving it.

Agnarr said:
That's just a bad shot. Remember how good he looks when he meets Lois? I'm glad they went with a darker design for the suit; imho, the suit in STM was just way, way too bright (I understand the factors behind it, but still). This suit has really grown on me. At first I was like, "What the . . ." but now I am very pleased. Its just strange how it changes color--some scenes it looks a vibrant red, which is just perfect, and others the whole thing is washed-out.
The factors for the suit in the 78 movie? There are no factors behind it. They chose those colors as that is the color of the suit were and are to this day.
1971.jpg
superman30s-70s.jpg

and they were the same color s in the 50's
1953.jpg

There were no factors other than Donner slamming a comic down and saying "make this exactly".
street_2.jpg

I don't udnerstand. You guys make it like air, water, etc were different in the 70's. Somehow our vision was worse in the 70's. Again, he made exactly what was in the comics from 1942 to that day, to today. There were no factors.

its not that bad... i mean he looks my age now that i look better at it.. but i know Reeves will always be #1

Lightning54SC said:
its not that bad... i mean he looks my age now that i look better at it.. but i know Reeves will always be #1
c'mon people...

...it's REEVE. no "s" at the end! hehe

too many are comparing him to Reeve, I don't think this would've been done as much if it wasn't suppose to be connected to the previous movies, fans of the old movies want to see someone to be more like him since he's taking over that part in that continuity.

I think some would've compared him to Reeve if this was a total revamp, but not as much. It really should've been a clean slate.

I for one, hated the suit and Routh at first but I'm liking it all a bit more, some shots in the new trailer made me want to see this movie more, but alot of it made me feel like it was a remake of the first film.

All I can say is Routh is at least better in his role than that new Bond. Imagine if they had cast say, some blonde 20 year old for Kal-El, that would've been horrible, and at least he's not Nick Cage, and as for the suit, it reminds me of Curt Swan somewhat, and a few classic looks of Supes.

I think they should've held back on all the S's.

Bryan did the same thing with X-men, he said look for the X's, they're everywhere. And he had X's all over the place, but it should be about the character and story, not about the logo.

But Singer really doesn't get these comic characters, he does his own thing and the fans get robbed of what could have been a big revamp, fresh super-movie.:supes:

Nightwing1977 said:
I love how biased people are with saying a bad pic or look like there as proof of him not looking Supermanish. Apparently, you refuse to look at other better pics that made him look a lot like Superman should look. If you're going to say he don't look like Superman, don't use just 1 or 2 bad pics to prove it. I'm sure there were some pics of Reeve that look crap & he doesn't look like Supermanish. :p

This coming from someone who's a "Defender of Singer's Vision." Don't be calling me biased when you're just as biased as anyone here. AT least I'm not affiliated with any one group. And you are quick to assume that I've refused to look at any other pics. There are only a handful of pics where I feel Routh does look like superman. Most of them posted by Supersebas. If I refuse to look at better pics as you assume I do, then you refuse to see any bad pics since well you are a defender of singer's vision. Another thing, that picture is an actual pic from the movie so im not even using those bad studio photos to compare. I think it's fair to compare actual film shots than publicity photos as it's a better representation of what we'll see.

People might be complaining that Routh looks too young or too "pretty boyish" in that pic, but don't forget that C Reeve was also a "pretty boy" and matured along in the sequels, give Routh some time.

It could've been worse if Nicolas Cage was cast with his big shnozz.

Okay I gotta ask...why do u ppl care about the neckline? Its a ****ING NECKLINE for crying out loud! Does it really make a difference that its a bit higher? In fact, theres not even a big difference (in all aspects) between the Reeves suit and Rouths suit. Do you guys really care that the red is a little darker? Or that the logo is just a little smaller? Or that theres an S on the belt? These are the most trivial things I've ever heard and the whiners sound pathetic.

tonytr1687 said:
Okay I gotta ask...why do u ppl care about the neckline? Its a ****ING NECKLINE for crying out loud! Does it really make a difference that its a bit higher?

Take some classes on design and you'll understand. It's a classic design element of the costume that seems to have been disregarded. Superman has always been popularly depicted as having a wide open neckline but instead they chose to give him a tshirt like neckline. This has been debated to death.

tonytr1687 said:
Okay I gotta ask...why do u ppl care about the neckline? Its a ****ING NECKLINE for crying out loud! Does it really make a difference that its a bit higher? In fact, theres not even a big difference (in all aspects) between the Reeves suit and Rouths suit. Do you guys really care that the red is a little darker? Or that the logo is just a little smaller? Or that theres an S on the belt? These are the most trivial things I've ever heard and the whiners sound pathetic.

well for one it's not like the classic suit, but more importantly the neckline makes him seem more angelic, elegant as well as alien. The cape flows from out from his shoulders/pecks rather than hang off the back lookign like a napkin you'd tuck into your shirt during dinner. And that's just the way I prefer it personally.

Well people complain. Nothing you can do about it but complain too I guess.:confused:

tonytr1687 said:
In fact, theres not even a big difference (in all aspects) between the Reeves suit and Rouths suit. Do you guys really care that the red is a little darker? Or that the logo is just a little smaller? Or that theres an S on the belt? These are the most trivial things I've ever heard and the whiners sound pathetic.

Yes it does matter to the look of the character. Design especially for clothing does make an impact and affects the way we feel about people. If they didnt feel it made a difference why did they change it in the first place? It's a design and design choices can be good or bad. Some of the design choices were good.. some bad. Here's an example... why the hell do manufacturers make jeans in so many different shades of blue? Does it really matter? Apparently it does to consumers otherwise companies wouldnt make such a variety. What makes you choose one pair of jean over another? Little things like shades of colors do matter because it affects how you feel. The costume designers believed what they created and changed would please all fans... they thought wrong.

And your whining about whining.. who's more pathetic?

It's interesting that when you see young Clark sail through the air at the beginning of the trailer, you hear this rather unflattering, unpleasant half-swoosh sound, yet when you see Superman, it's a wonderful full swoosh. I think they're implying a purpose to the cape, as in it helps with aerodynamic drag or something.

A page out of Batman Begins?

You should be directing SR. Jeez man.............

I hate it less, but it still makes his torso too long and the shield looks too thick. I think it should have been larger on the chest, but made of a thin, flexible plastic, rather than the slab they used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"