Legend of Zelda Offical The Legend of Zelda Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they're just going to add stupid gibberish then keep it text. Not sure what's so hard about giving us, at the very least, an option. They can even say they believe that you should NOT use the voice acting mode as they want YOU to put yourself in Link's shoes...

But... I just don't buy their anti-voice actors crap anymore.

This may seem belated, but I can't wait to play this game....over Christmas break when I have time to sit down and at least put in a good foundation without annoying anyone.

Anyway, I've tried to stay away from as little info about the game as I can until then, but I caved today and read the reviews.

I just want to ask on a consensus level if people think it is really the best Zelda game ever like IGN said? I don't care about voice acting or HD at all when it comes to Zelda (though I will admit that I still think Twilight Princess's art direction was more enjoyable from the previews I've seen of Skyward Sword), I just want to know if the gameplay and story is up to snuff.

Also, is it true there is no real overworld with villages, towns and sidequests/minigames to explore? Because I find it hard to believe there's a Zelda game that doesn't have those key, amazing staples that is so well received. I heard someone compare it to the first Super Mario Galaxy in terms of "overworld" use. That kind of makes me sad.

Nintendo has come out saying that they are indeed considering the use of some voice acting in the next Legend of Zelda game. The catch......they speak Hylian, not English or Japanese.

1. Include voice acting
2. Do it in fictional language no one understands
3. ???
4. Profit

This may seem belated, but I can't wait to play this game....over Christmas break when I have time to sit down and at least put in a good foundation without annoying anyone.

Anyway, I've tried to stay away from as little info about the game as I can until then, but I caved today and read the reviews.

I just want to ask on a consensus level if people think it is really the best Zelda game ever like IGN said? I don't care about voice acting or HD at all when it comes to Zelda (though I will admit that I still think Twilight Princess's art direction was more enjoyable from the previews I've seen of Skyward Sword), I just want to know if the gameplay and story is up to snuff.

Also, is it true there is no real overworld with villages, towns and sidequests/minigames to explore? Because I find it hard to believe there's a Zelda game that doesn't have those key, amazing staples that is so well received. I heard someone compare it to the first Super Mario Galaxy in terms of "overworld" use. That kind of makes me sad.

Is it the best Zelda game? No. Not by far. Here is a rundown of where I would rank it with the console games... remember, my judgment might be different because I played all these games when they were new... not 10 years after their release:

http://derkindervolksbiergarten.com...-Skyward-Sword&p=107650&viewfull=1#post107650

But note what I said about Skyward Sword. It's not as bad as that list would imply on a first glance... it's just it's a lot lower than others for me.

As for the overworld, this is the least involved overworld ever. I'm not sure that fully hurts the game... but it's something new and it didn't really work for me personally. The dungeons are the best dungeons, as are the pre-dungeons. There is a lot of blending between the two.

Sidequests and minigames are minimal and to be honest, largely unfun with the exception of maybe one or two. There is nothing like that snowboarding game from TP, or horseback archery from OoT where you will spend hours just trying to get the perfect 2000 points. They've been scaled back to a minimum, and most of them I played only once or twice, save perhaps the arrow game which is kinda fun. Also the bug catching game kept me involved. But there is just not much to explore, and you're taken to all corners of the game since you'll have three separate treks through each of the three sections over and over. Stop back to Skyloft in between and you've seen the entire game. No real nooks and crannies that you have to go out of your way to discover... a trend I'm seeing less and less of in Zelda games.

But my biggest reason why SS is not the best is the quality control is at a minimum. This game felt rushed... camera is not the best (especially early on) and the controls don't feel great... although you can adapt as the game moves on, and a few times when it does work really well you can be pleased, but those are way too few and far between to be happy about. I'm in two minds as to whether I sincerely want them to take sword control and improve it, or scrap it and give us a classic controller option.

Playing swordplay on Wii Sports Resort in comparison was buttery smooth... if Zelda could get closer to that, I'd be happy. I think they need to take an element from the defense stance, where you can move your sword into position without fear of swinging it and causing an accidental strike, thus leaving yourself open. Perhaps if when your shield is raised it would limit your sword movements, and you'd have an opportunity to reset your hand position... much like in an actual battle. The only question would be how they'd account for your hand movements if you weren't armed with a shield... but it's an idea to improve things. I'm sure 1:1 controls aren't a loss cause, but I don't want to play another Zelda with these controls... I longed for the simplicity of the Wii version of TP's controls. I remember the bow and arrow being more fun with that too.

Lastly on presentation, this game has a huge, game-breaking bug in it (a warning to anyone not at this point yet):

http://www.gamespot.com/news/zelda-...firmed-6347222?tag=updates;editor;all;title;6

That is the only time the game breaks from a linear path and it looks like it's not really designed to handle it. I know as games get more sophisticated there's a greater need to create parameters to avoid too many breaks (much like how more laws need to be created to prevent more chaos and create more freedom... somehow...), but I still feel this is overkill. While you're technically free to do whatever you like, the game does push you in a very controlled way, especially early on. Not like I knew Zelda growing up. Majora's Mask was the last time I remember them not doing this.

So that's it in a nutshell. I'm like you... I didn't think I cared for HD presentation / voice acting, etc... but this game made me realize I do. The story is great, but loses points in presentation. The dungeons are the best and so imaginative, I cannot foresee how they'll top them. The story felt like a real 'legend of zelda' entry, even if it fell a little flat at the end. I can see why it got the scores it did from both reviewers who wanted more, and ones who graded it on the kind 'IT'S ZELDA' scale... because you can come away feeling as mixed as they did... but the truth is it's a good and enjoyable game that could've been better.

I will say that I was underwhelmed by the soundtrack. Though there were a few good tunes (the main theme for example). But overall, it was pretty average.

Ocarina of Time may one day be dethroned as the best Zelda game, but it will always have the best music. Nothing else comes close.

That game breaking bug is simply inexcusable. Does Nintendo even have the same platform and tech support that Xbox and PS3 have when it comes to uploading patches etc? Or is that bug pretty much just always going to be there. And with no multiple RPG style save function, to not be able to progress.... There's simply no excuse for a game that took so long to make.

I actually thought Majora's Mask had the best music. It had all the great music from Ocarina, plus the classic Zelda theme as the overworld theme. I'd also rank the Windwaker music pretty highly.

I actually thought Majora's Mask had the best music. It had all the great music from Ocarina, plus the classic Zelda theme as the overworld theme. I'd also rank the Windwaker music pretty highly.

Majora's Mask definitely had some great music and in its defense, it simply didn't have as much music as Ocarina of Time. But, you can't really top a game that gives you the Lost Woods / Saria's Song, Gerudo Valley and the Song of Storms. Not to mention the temple themes (Temple of Time in particular).

Majora's Mask's Song of Healing definitely should get a mention though.

I will say that I was underwhelmed by the soundtrack. Though there were a few good tunes (the main theme for example). But overall, it was pretty average.

Ocarina of Time may one day be dethroned as the best Zelda game, but it will always have the best music. Nothing else comes close.
Yeha, Ocarina's music was the best. I was disappointed because I flew to the concert in London in October, and Ocarina's music was the one they did the least justice to... but it was still great. They did give Gerudo Valley it's own song (without being part of a medley), and it played out similar to how it is on the SS CD, but I wanted to hear it with guitars. Still, was very good.

Gerudo Valley
Kakariko Village
Hyrule Field
All the temple themes that you play on the Ocarina
End Credits
Zelda's Lullaby
Epona's theme
Kokiri Forest was okay... can't remember Lake Hylia...?! Was it just an extension of Hyrule Field?

Although I did like the overworld theme of SS, plus Lake Floria is just brilliant to me. The Goddess Theme is good.

TP had some excellent stuff in there. Hidden Village. It had the best End Credits music of any Zelda game ever.

WW - probably the game I would say had the best chance of dethroning OoT in terms of music.

That game breaking bug is simply inexcusable. Does Nintendo even have the same platform and tech support that Xbox and PS3 have when it comes to uploading patches etc? Or is that bug pretty much just always going to be there. And with no multiple RPG style save function, to not be able to progress.... There's simply no excuse for a game that took so long to make.

The bug will always be there, but other Zelda games have had bugs, including TP... and Nintendo would let you trade in the disc. Hopefully the Wii U will be equipped to handle this.

Those are some classic themes, but as far as game 'music' goes, I wouldn't rank Ocarina that highly, simply because a lot of those Ocarina themes, as catchy as they were, were mostly variations on the same chord and series of notes.

And I flat out HATE the Skyward Sword main theme for two reasons. One, I think it's simply too plucky in a superficial way and secondly, the fact that it's just a backwards rendition of Zelda's Lullaby. That to me sums up EVERYTHING that is wrong with Nintendo these days. It's like "Hey, you want something new and iconic?!? How about we just rehash the original theme BACKWARDS!"

Yeha, Ocarina's music was the best. I was disappointed because I flew to the concert in London in October, and Ocarina's music was the one they did the least justice to... but it was still great. They did give Gerudo Valley it's own song (without being part of a medley), and it played out similar to how it is on the SS CD, but I wanted to hear it with guitars. Still, was very good.

Gerudo Valley
Kakariko Village
Hyrule Field
All the temple themes that you play on the Ocarina
End Credits
Zelda's Lullaby
Epona's theme
Kokiri Forest was okay... can't remember Lake Hylia...?! Was it just an extension of Hyrule Field?

Although I did like the overworld theme of SS, plus Lake Floria is just brilliant to me. The Goddess Theme is good.

TP had some excellent stuff in there. Hidden Village. It had the best End Credits music of any Zelda game ever.

WW - probably the game I would say had the best chance of dethroning OoT in terms of music.

I think the nature of the games themselves have something to do with that. A large part Ocarina of Time's gameplay focused on music, so that was certainly a priority. Same with Wind Waker. Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword not so much (though we do at least get an instrument).

Twilight Princess's music borrowed heavily from Ocarina of Time (but they were supposed to be closely linked). Skyward Sword has only brought back a handful of themes, and most of them pre-date Ocarina of Time (e.g. Zelda's Lullaby). I only remember one or two songs from Ocarina of Time being in the game.

Epona's theme was a good one too. In fairness, Kakariko Village and Zelda's Lullaby predate Ocarina of Time. Though both versions are nice.

I will say this for Twilight Princess it had an incredible take on Hyrule Field.

I hope the other tracks from the concert will be released on CD some time.

Those are some classic themes, but as far as game 'music' goes, I wouldn't rank Ocarina that highly, simply because a lot of those Ocarina themes, as catchy as they were, were mostly variations on the same chord and series of notes.

And I flat out HATE the Skyward Sword main theme for two reasons. One, I think it's simply too plucky in a superficial way and secondly, the fact that it's just a backwards rendition of Zelda's Lullaby. That to me sums up EVERYTHING that is wrong with Nintendo these days. It's like "Hey, you want something new and iconic?!? How about we just rehash the original theme BACKWARDS!"

I'd agree with your second paragraph, but I'm too shocked by the first. We need some more of that variation on those chords if that is the case.

The Goddess theme works for me, because other than the fact that we know it's a backwards rendition of Zelda's Lullaby, it just works on it's own merit. In fact, it's much more pliable than ZL and the story links together nicely so that you can understand why it's warranted that the same music is used twice. In fact, you could even argue that they shouldn't have reversed it, but just reused it as is based on the story.

I feel like the games could streamline the music a little more. Take a movie franchise that reuses the same composer over and over and keeps the main theme as well as the side themes, etc... each new movie (most likely) will feature some new music, but it's only there to enhance the main theme... so while I'm fine with variations of the overworld music, dungeon themes (which were dull and listless in SS... much more suitable for the likes of say, Metroid), Zelda/Link interractions/cutscenes, Ganon's theme, etc... overall the musical experience should be driven by the constant themes that already exist.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm all for new music, but not at the expense of utilizing the existing work that has it's specific place in each game. And also not to introduce crummy music.

But like I said, I was reasonably happy with SS's music. The goddess theme was interwoven nicely. The few instances of the main Zelda theme had it's place appropriately without being overused, (leaning towards being underused if anything), like I said, the overworld worked for me based on not straying too far from what other overworlds have sounded like, and I cannot say enough about Lake Floria. Really great. There's probably tons more.

I think in terms of story, so far from what I've played, it's the best story of the bunch. It has a great cast of characters, the love story between Zelda and Link is really well done considering that this is the first time in franchise history that they have Link and Zelda definitively confirmed as each others' love interests, and the plot so far is pretty cool.

In terms of gameplay, Ocarina of Time is still the best. Skyward Sword's world just isn't as immerse and in depth as it should be by today's standards. It really shows just how limited the Wii's 10 year old technology is with everything: the graphics are dated, the environments are dated, and the five year old Wii Remote technology has been dated by the far more accurate PlayStation Move, even with the Wii Motion Plus.

Now I'm just like you, I feel that HD graphics and voice acting are not necessary for games to be fun. But the Wii really limits Skyward Sword by not allowing Skyloft to be a lively town, limits the amount of worlds Nintendo could have created as opposed to just Eldin Volcano, Faron Woods, and Lanayru Desert, limits enemy variety, etc. Also, Fun Fun Island, is not fun at all. As a matter in fact, it's the worst thing that Nintendo has ever created. I strained my voice in pure rage and anger due to Fun Fun Island.

Thankfully, Skyward Sword overcomes most of these limitations and still is one of the best Legend of Zelda titles. Overall, so far I'd rank it #2 behind Ocarina of Time but above A Link to the Past.

It's true, but the game is set before Hyrule is even established so it makes sense for this game.

Maybe. Hyrule was destroyed in Wind Waker though. There was still this massive water world with countless islands (probably too many) to explore, as well as several towns. Though I think that game was missing having a major city as well.

But while I'm sure I'll like this....a Zelda game without a massive world to explore with colorful characters and sidequests? A post-OOT without even a fishing hole? I have a nervous feeling that this game is going to be a skeletal approach to the Zelda formula/gameplay beyond story and controls.

Nintendo really needs to work on making the games feel more "populated". I will say that Skyloft was a step up from Twilight Princess, but it was the only real town in the game. Hyrule itself (the land below) felt very empty. The other races didn't even have proper towns.

In some of these games you have to wonder how Hyrule maintains a viable population, there are so few people. Obviously, in the past it was due to technological limitations, but now it just seems odd. I'd like to see realistic sized Hyrulean, Goron and Gerudo cities. If other games can pull off large towns / cities, I don't see why Zelda can't.

well, there was a reason the land below was empty. It was a rather large part of the story, actually. But yeah, Skyloft could've used more people. There should have been more islands with cities on them, instead of islands with random people housing mini games.

If other games can pull off large towns / cities, I don't see why Zelda can't.

Because so far, the most powerful system that a Zelda game has been on is the Wii while games with fully populated areas are powered by the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

well, there was a reason the land below was empty. It was a rather large part of the story, actually. But yeah, Skyloft could've used more people. There should have been more islands with cities on them, instead of islands with random people housing mini games.

I know why there were no Hylians on the land below, but what about the Gorons? No city for them? Not even a little village?

Because so far, the most powerful system that a Zelda game has been on is the Wii while games with fully populated areas are powered by the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

If that's the only reason then I hope that changes with the Wii U.

But they've used parlor tricks in the past to pass it off... Oot's town worked, they'd cluster npc's together and allow interactions between them (not you directly) if provoked... which was great, because you could get 3 or 4 npc's in the background just having a conversation for the price of one, and they wouldn't all have to interact directly with Link... fleshing out the experience!
I know why there were no Hylians on the land below, but what about the Gorons? No city for them? Not even a little village?

If that's the only reason then I hope that changes with the Wii U.

The Gorons didn't look like they were developed Hyrulians at this point... they hadn't appear to settle. There's only like, what... two of them in the game?

But they've used parlor tricks in the past to pass it off... Oot's town worked, they'd cluster npc's together and allow interactions between them (not you directly) if provoked... which was great, because you could get 3 or 4 npc's in the background just having a conversation for the price of one, and they wouldn't all have to interact directly with Link... fleshing out the experience!

The Gorons didn't look like they were developed Hyrulians at this point... they hadn't appear to settle. There's only like, what... two of them in the game?

I can appreciate parlor tricks. And they work well in the less advanced games. But imagine a city with hundreds of individuals NPCs walking around. Roads with traffic (horses, carriages, etc), and ships in the harbor. Dozens of buildings you can explore. That's my idea of a "realistic" city, at least in the context of a Zelda title. Though, we'll have to wait for the next console if the Wii is too weak to handle that.

From the prologue I assumed that the Gorons must be at least somewhat prominent, since they were shown to be one of the races which helped the Goddess imprison the Demon King. But then there were only like a half dozen Kikwis... Maybe they need to bring the Hyrule Castle Town parlor tricks back, at least that gave you some sense of liveliness.

A city with hundreds of NPC's and dozens of buildings? Where do they all sleep, stacked up on top of each other? :p

Retro could collaborate on a Zelda game, says Miyamoto

Metroid Prime and Mario Kart studio could add another big Nintendo franchise to its CV

Nintendo design chief Shigeru Miyamoto has said Retro Studios could one day collaborate with Nintendo on a Legend of Zelda game.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/viewer.php?mode=article&id=274221 The US studio previously developed the Metroid Prime series and Donkey Kong Country Returns for Nintendo, and most recently collaborated with the platform holder on Mario Kart 7.
Miyamoto told Wired: "As you know, we have already collaborated with Retro for the Metroid Prime series in the past. And I think when we talk about any other franchise, Zelda might be a possible franchise for that collaboration."
According to design legend, Retro was charged with "taking care of the design of [Mario Kart 7's] courses and the artwork", while Nintendo handled "the gameplay and the control mechanism itself".
Last week, Miyamoto denied reports he intends to retire, although he did say he'd like to work on smaller, more personal projects in the future.

Retro's awesome, so I'm down with that.

I also think Capcom has done a good job with the handheld games. Minish Cap > Phantom Hourglass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"