The official "Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess" review thread. First review inside!

Gamespot's review is pretty much exactly what I expected from the game. A wonderfully put together game with tacked on controller gimmicks and dated graphics. They didn't let hype interfere with their review, which is one of the reasons why they're one of the few places I trust. I'm still getting the game, and I'm still expecting it to be GOTY quality. An 8.8 isn't the end of the world.

I just think saying "tacted on controller gimmick" is as dumb as telling people to play the game before they call it amazing. Most review sites say the controls are flawless. Jeff didn't let the hype get to him because he could give a fart in the wind about the Wii.

I personaly think he was the wrong person to review it. I think they should have got someone who was at least wanting to really dive into the game, that doesn't mean the score would have been better, but the review....itself could have been better.

I think everyone calling the Wii control "gimmicky" will end up like the people calling the DS gimmicky when it launched. Eating their words.

Could I be wrong, could the TP control be a gimmick? Sure, but I'll take everyone elses word over an angry chubby man.

Tetragrammaton said:
Gamespot's review is pretty much exactly what I expected from the game. A wonderfully put together game with tacked on controller gimmicks and dated graphics. They didn't let hype interfere with their review, which is one of the reasons why they're one of the few places I trust. I'm still getting the game, and I'm still expecting it to be GOTY quality. An 8.8 isn't the end of the world.

I played TP last night in a Westfield mall and it was so fun with the controls :cmad:

Tetragrammaton said:
They didn't let hype interfere with their review, which is one of the reasons why they're one of the few places I trust.
Actually, they did. They just didn't respond to it positively.

I need to play it to determine how fun it is. I don't need to play it to watch a video and read previews and determine that something is a tacked on gimmick, especially with knowledge that the game began life on a platform WITHOUT the Wiimote and was later shoved onto the Wii. I don't know why I'm bothering though. Anyone fanatical enough to get angry over an 8.8 is probably fanatical enough to ignore things this obvious.

Spidey-Bat said:
Actually, they did. They just didn't respond to it positively.
I was going to buy Red Steel, but then they called it mediocre, so now I'm putting up posters all around town telling people to stay away from it, lol :heart:

Axid said:
I played TP last night in a Westfield mall and it was so fun with the controls :cmad:
I have no doubt the game is fun. Like I said, GOTY quality. But any fool can see that the Wiimote is used in a very tacked on fashion. It takes a very special kind of Nintendo fanatic to ignore this.

Wasn't shoved onto the Wii, it was added over a years time. They fine tuned it, they just didn't throw it on there a week before launch.

I think you'll end up surprised. I hope you do.

For the record I'm not angry over the 8.8 score, I simply think the review (how it was written up) sucks.

Tetragrammaton said:
I need to play it to determine how fun it is. I don't need to play it to watch a video and read previews and determine that something is a tacked on gimmick, especially with knowledge that the game began life on a platform WITHOUT the Wiimote and was later shoved onto the Wii. I don't know why I'm bothering though. Anyone fanatical enough to get angry over an 8.8 is probably fanatical enough to ignore things this obvious.

That's a stupid complaint. Every Wii game can be played without the technology of the wiimote. So I guess to you, every game has a tacked on gimmick. Funny, no other gaming site really believes it ruined the game.

The game was designed for a regular controller. It was moved to the Wii after development began. Period. No amount of inane rambling and fanboy PR is going to change this guys.

Spidey-Bat said:
So I guess you hate EVERY Wii game since they can exist on a console without the Wiimote.
Yes, I do. I hate the Wii, and all of it's games. Which is why I have a Wii and two of it's games fully bought and paid for. So I can toss them out of windows and stuff.

Do you get paid to be stupid, or just like to throw in the extra effort? What's the deal here?

Yes, I know it was designed with the original controller in mind.....that means nothing if the Wiimote control turns out better then the Cube control, what are you going to say if the reviews for the Cube turn out worse then the Wii one?

Throwing out fanboy accusations does nothing but tick me off, if you refuse to acknowledge whatever other review is saying about the control....fine, but don't try to push your viewpoint on me. And don't call me a fanboy for thinking differently then you.

VaderRISE said:
Yes, I know it was designed with the original controller in mind.....that means nothing if the Wiimote control turns out better then the Cube control, what are you going to say if the reviews for the Cube turn out worse then the Wii one?
I'll probably call those reviews biased and say those sites hate the Cube, just out of spite.

VaderRISE said:
Throwing out fanboy accusations does nothing but tick me off, if you refuse to acknowledge whatever other review is saying about the control....fine, but don't try to push your viewpoint on me. And don't call me a fanboy for thinking differently then you.
If only Gamespot would post a news story with those exact words to all of you...

The Wii controls are tacked on. You can play the game just as efficiently, possibly even moreso on the Gamecube using normal buttons. Flicking your wrists instead of twiddling your thumbs is hardly "revolutionary", and certainly not worth paying $250 more than if I just bought the GC version.

The Wii version wasn't even going to use motion sensing for sword combat. In early demos, you pressed a button like in the Gamecube version. But then the marketing committee made the developers change it, because they didn't feel like the game was using the Wiimote enough to justify the Wii version to consumers.

No, that's not true. If it were, it would make Gamespot's review far more credible than all of those perfect 10s, and we can't have that. Calling a game "great" and a "must buy" simply isn't enough.

Timstuff said:
The Wii controls are tacked on.

Saying that would imply that Nintendo added these controls with no effort at all. And judging by the reviews (even Jeff), this is clearly not the case.

We've all worried about the control. But it is no longer an issue.

You can play the game just as efficiently, possibly even moreso on the Gamecube using normal buttons.

I can understand your concerns, but as the reviews have been pointing out, the Wiimote improves the game. All the reviewers have been quoted as saying that they'll never go back to using the using old control scheme for Zelda; the Wiimote makes the experience more immersive, innovative, precise, and fun. And this is great, since it proves the Wiimote's superiority over the standard controller. And these aren't my words. Read the reviews on the main page and the excerpts I posted a few pages back.

You certainly have the right to reserve some concern, but I wouldn't be too worried.

VaderRISE said:
Don't bother, all other reviews are......TEHBIAS!1.

Actually, I tend to agree. What was that expression used on JLU? Oh yeah, I remember:

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear. -Destroyer, Justice League

Although the reviews might be a good compass to help with you a purchase, they aren't the final word.

http://videogames.yahoo.com/gamereview?cid=1951383573&tab=reviews&page=0&eid=493324

Yahoo Games review.

Funny, they say one of the strengths of this game is that it looks and sounds great.

VaderRISE said:
Don't bother, all other reviews are......TEHBIAS!1.

Tobias?
Davidcross_adscreenshot.jpg

The Wii controls are tacked on. The game was so far into development by the time they were implemented, they can't fundamentally alter the game.

Yes and no. They obviously were added on, but every reviewer has said it makes a totally different and better experience.

Better than what? The Gamecube version that may or may not ever be released?

WhatsHisFace said:

Its definately being released.

Just completed Wind Waker again for the 1st time in 3 years due to hype for this game.

My god, I did Ganondorf in seconds. Please be a lot harder Mr Twylight Princess. (Mr? :confused:)

WhatsHisFace said:

TP on GC will have a similar playing style as Wind Waker. So they have something to judge it on.

And it is coming out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"