Official Documentary Review and Discussion thread.

SolidSnakeMGS

Superhero
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread about docs in general, which surprises me, so here is one. I've always liked documentaries, but now I think is a great time for them because there is so much going on in the world, and I think people nowadays have a hunger for entertainment that also educates and enlightens, which is one of the reasons for the boom of the documentary.

I've seen many docs, but these 4 are the most recent ones I've seen.

So please share your own views, reviews, and discussions about documentaries you've seen, want to see, or are looking forward to.

borninto.jpg

Born into Brothels
(2004)
Written and directed by Zana Briski and Ross Kauffman

This documentary looks into the life of English documentary photographer Zana Briski visiting the red light area of Calcutta, India, and her attempts to help the children with their impoverished lives by providing them with a camera and basic education about photography. The kids' mothers are prostitutes, and most likely the female children will one day become one as well. The photographer then attempts with little success to get the children into schools. The children endure verbal and physical abuse at the hands of their parents, and live among squalor and crime constantly. The documentary implies that the cameras the children use help them deal with their lives a little better, as they are given a creative outlet by which to portray their own worlds through their eyes via photographs. The strength of the documentary are the kids themselves whom, despite their terrible lives, seem as upbeat and full of life as an kid. This is reinforced by letting us to a limited extent get to know the kids and their situation, and their photos are shown and we can see each one has their own photography style and preference. It's a sad and happy documentary, as it is heartbreaking to see how the kids live and the inevitability of what they may become, but on the other hand, there is hope for the kids in the form of schools and their passion for photography will bring a smile to your face. There is a debate whether or not the children's lives were improved as a result, but this documentary acknowledges that to a degree. There is a roughness to the look and feel of the documentary, as the locations are dingy and dirty alleyways and hovels that the people there call homes and at the same time the same places they commit their crimes in order to survive. But among the despair, it is the smiles of the children armed with cheap cameras that shine at us like a diamond in the rough.

deliver.jpg

Deliver us From Evil (2006)
Written and directed Amy Berg

Easily one of the most heartbreaking documentaries I've seen, this one explores the sexual abuse of children -- even a 9 month old infant -- at the hands of Catholic clergyman as well as the cover-up by various churches including and up to the Vatican itself in order to hide the truth from the world. Its hard not to have a very strong opinion about this one, and even harder not to feel anger at a lot of people that many millions trust with faith. The documentary is well made, polished, with excellent cinematography throughout. It focuses on Catholic priest Oliver O'Grady, who molested many children (thought to exceed hundreds) from the late 70's to the early 90's. Church officials not only ignored and attempted to cover up the incidents, they continued to allow him to serve the church and be around children. On the other end, we see a handful of the victims today, and we can see their hurt as well as the hurt in some of the family members that are shown. The father of one of the victims is so filled with anger and hatred when he describes certain incidents, we get a sense he could be capable of killing despite his otherwise very gentle and humble nature. He can barely control his anger, and we as viewers share that. One doesn't want to see this documentary, but one must push on through the vileness that O'Grady seems to harbor with a casual reluctance. He is the smiling, laughing monster that doesn't see his actions as all too bad, but we wouldn't know it had we not known of his past monstrosities. More tragically, he lives nearly carefree in Ireland, having served only 7 years for his crimes while his victims still suffer today.

littledieter.jpg

Little Dieter Needs to Fly (1997)
Written and directed by Werner Herzog

A German Air Force pilot is shot down over Vietnam during the war, and for months must endure torture and threat of death at the hands of his brutal Vietnamese captors. The documentary relies mostly on interviews with the present day Dieter Dengler himself (at the time of the documentary; he passed and was buried with honors in 2001), as he relays his terrible stories and -- amazingly -- nearly without a hint of any signs that he suffers from emotional trauma. He would eventually escape, refusing to accept the fate of some of the soldiers that had been in capture for years. There is some stock footage to provide context, and in an interesting move by the filmmaker, Dieter goes back to Vietnam and rudimentarily recreates some of the things he endured while captured, including enlisting the aid of Vietnamese locals decked out in what they would have worn -- including the iconic AK-47 -- back during the war. Herzog has a casual way of shooting this documentary. It isn't as polished as some of the better made documentaries, but that's fine because we are lead through by the enigmatic and likable Dieter, who while exhibiting some obvious and understandable behavioral side effects from his capture (such as stockpiling hundreds of pounds of food beneath his house and opening and closing doors frequently because to him, that represents choice and freedom, something he didn't know during those months of capture), doesn't seem to harbor any anger at his aggressors nor even shows barely any negative feeling towards what happened while relaying the events. Since this is a documentary about one man and events that happened a while back, there isn't much visual strength because we are being told a story by one man, but that doesn't diminish the power of the events and the ordeal the man had to go through. While in Vietnam, we see some beauty in the form of jungles and rivers, but they are not glorified for the camera. Herzog would go on to make a feature film of this, entitled "Rescue Dawn".

whothe.jpg

Who the #$&% is Jackson Pollack (2006)
Written and directed by Harry Moses

Documentaries about average Joes going up against people or organizations much larger than they are pretty common. Michael Moore has made that his MO in most of his documentaries (if they can be called that, but I digress). The title of this documentary comes from what the main character, a fiery-spirited elderly lady that drives trucks for a living, said when someone told her that the painting she paid $5 for at a thrift store may be the work of one of the most famous painters of modern times. We then see the obsession of the woman grows as she begins a quest to discover if she truly possesses a piece of work by an artist that has had art sold for hundreds of millions of dollars. We see art experts, researchers, and various other people, and its amazing how large the scope of this quest becomes as more and more people become involved. We also see the snobby side of the art world, with one very irritating and annoyingly flamboyant "art expert" who cannot, despite evidence otherwise, except the fact that some foul-mouthed, middle America woman may possess a piece of art by a legend. Hearing him go on and on about how right he is and how much of an expert he is and how there is no way she can possess a Jackson Pollack painting makes you want to reach out and strangle the elitist jerk. The fact that we see a lot of him despite his near uselessness makes me feel the filmmakers wanted to really nail the point of how close-minded elitism can be. A forensic expert comes in and does a lot of work, including taking samples from Pollock's studio itself. He is convinced the painting is real as he accumulates matching paint samples and even finds a matching fingerprint. The experts, including someone who knew the really Pollack, say otherwise. As the documentary ends, we are never sure or told whether the painting is authentic or not; just as in life, it isn't so much about what we achieve -- or fail to -- but the journey getting there. This is a fascinating look into the journey of a woman's quest to find answers, and it shows a lot about human behavior.

Cocaine Cowboys (2006)

IF you enjoyed scarface or Blow, do yourself a favor, get this one. tells the story of 3 people, one a big drug dealer, one a drug trafficker, and one a drug kingpin's enforcer. its extremely interesting to see how the enforcer describes how and who he killed with no remorse and very little emotion.

the dealer and the trafficker are also extremely entertaining because they have lived the most lavish lives. 9/10 for documentaries. a must see.

oh and that movie Deliver Us From Evil, im very interested in, but i dont think i could make it through the whole thing. heard an interview with the woman who made the movie and came out against the guy, shes actually very good natured and im amazed.

I'll add Cocaine Cowboys to my list. I've heard of it.

Deliver Us From Evil is a tough one. You find yourself either cringing or trying to hold back the emotions.

Oh, and to note, for those of you who have Netflix, ALL of these documentaries were watched through the new 'Watch Now' feature which lets you watch them from your PC. They have thousands of movies on demand, and the quality and speed is very impressive. I usually don't like to watch movies on my PC, but I was very pleased with how Netflix made it easy.

i recently came into ownership of a documentary about the legendary rock band the mc5 entitled, MC5: A true testimonial. the documentary made its round at festivals and won a bunch of awards, but it was ultimately unreleased due to copyright bulls#!t over the music. anyways, i got a copy of the promo dvd and its quite phenominal!!! putting all bias and love for the band aside, it was an extremely well made documentary following the band's ridiculous career in detail.

enron.jpg

Enron : The Smartest Guys in the Room (2005)
Written by Peter Elkind, Alex Gibney, and Bethany McLean, and directed by Alex Gibney

This documentary examines one of the most notorious news events of the 21st century, and easily the most impactful fall of a corporation in history. As one of the co-writers adequately puts it, this documentary may show the effects on the thousands of employees of Enron and its associate companies and employees, but it is basically a human story. It shows how one human emotion - greed - can have a huge impact on even the world. This is a top notch documentary, with many rich visuals and popular songs to keep your interest in a documentary that has a lot of information, numbers, and statistics to throw at you in order to tell the whole story. We see stock tickers flashing across the screen, interviews, news bits, dramatic recreations, and lots of courtroom footage, so there's plenty going on onscreen. I admit I didn't know a whole lot about the Enron incident, but this documentary certainly educated me enough to do my own research and come up with my own conclusions and thoughts about this event. It tells a lot, but it never drowns you in information. You get enough information on the key players in this saga, and how they feel victims to their own selfish needs which resulted in losses for many people. While the corporate ship sank, the executives managed to make off with millions, while the rest were left with nothing. It's certainly a sad story for those that lost their retirement funds and investments. The fall of Enron from the top of the list of richest and most powerful companies in the world to total bankruptcy and extinction is fascinating in itself, and you can see the executives and how naive they were that they thought they could change the world. We never know if they were actually capable of this and something went astray, or if it was all smoke and mirrors for a huge pot of gold for them to put their hands in. Regardless, they changed the world, but for the worst. If I have any complaints, it would have been a desire to see more of the political fallout. The documentary certainly explores that avenue, but I figure they felt the story of Enron itself was big enough, and that to include too much detail about all of the outside connections would have rendered the documentary an overinflated mess of information. I enjoyed and -- more importantly -- learned a lot from this documentary, and I felt they told the story as best as they could, but the story of Enron and its fall is huge and it would take much more than a documentary for us to learn everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"