Official Film Recommendations Thread

Kane52630

T-800 User
Reaction score
You see it all the time on the Hype, people asking what movies they should see. Either based on what mood they are in or what's out there that flew under the radar. This thread is where you can ask and/or give film recommendations.

Well let's get this started then...
tumblr_mzb3fhsbRo1so84eqo6_r1_250.gif

Inherit the Wind
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The English Patient
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
Dr.Strangelove
Barry Lyndon
Apocalypse Now
Star Wars IV-VI
Indiana Jones trilogy
The Color Purple
Empire of the Sun
Terminator 2
Star Trek 2 The Wrath of Khan
Gone with the Wind
Schindlers List
Saving Private Ryan
American Graffiti
Jaws
E.T.
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
To Kill a Mockingbird
Dr. Zhivago
Lawrence of Arabia
Bridge on the River Kwai
Singing in the Rain
West Side Story
South Pacific
Sound of Music
Mary Poppins
Fiddler on the Roof
The Wizard of Oz
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Pinocchio
Roman Holiday
The Apartment
The Godfather 1 and 2
Vertigo
Rear Window
Psycho
North by Northwest
39 Steps
Notorious
Rebecca
To Catch a Thief
It's a Wonderful Life
The Maltese Falcon
To Have and Have Not
Rocky 1-3
The Shawshank Redemption
Modern Times
The Dictator
Chaplin
Ghandi
Yankee Doodle Dandy
Cinema Paradiso
The Princess Bride
When Harry Met Sally
Young Frankenstein
Back to The Future
Forrest Gump

Last edited:
A great, down and dirty action film with great turns on screen by Donald Sutherland and Aiden Quinn. THE ASSIGNMENT:[YT]weCyA61c3F0[/YT]

An interesting true story starring Anthony Hopkins. THE WORLD'S FASTEST INDIAN: [YT]02Yy1vihIKs[/YT]

A Japanese language film about the life of a samurai late in the period of their existence. THE TWILIGHT SAMURAI: [YT]9l-NlkGBWPc[/YT]

The film every young man should see before he reaches the age of 18. THE MAN FROM SNOWY RIVER: [YT]Nqlz6lOLtIQ[/YT]

A heart breaker of a film about inner city life as it is for far too many young people. FRESH:[YT]Mxd-_7W40us[/YT]

A very underrated 90's gem about the Native culture of Easter Island and how it came to an end most likely, and a cautionary tale for the rest of the world. RAPPA NUI: [YT]oEU5-9noCJE[/YT]

The Man from Snowy River :hrt:

Beautiful, adventurous, thrilling, heartfelt... It's got it all. And of course... That scene going down the mountain. I feel it's been kind of forgotten these days by a lot of people.

It's like, Gone with the Wind here in Australia. Takes me back...

It's like, Gone with the Wind here in Australia. Takes me back...

Really? Cool. I know it was a hit there back in the day, but I had no idea. In America it really found it's life on cable I'd say, where it was shown in afternoons especially on HBO. I was raised on classic American Westerns, from the Wayne films all the way up to Silverado, so I totally got the vibe the film had. I actually have not seen it for a number of years. Too long. Time to see it again I think. :yay:

Yeah, I grew up in the country so horses, westerns, all that stuff was pretty engrained. Pretty much anyone from the more rural parts of Australia would have heard of it, and well, obviously the likes of Mad Max or Crocodile Dundee are held up pretty highly in the public consensus, but Man from Snowy River is right up there.

Just a few I can think of at the moment:

The Guest
Predestination
Honeymoon
The Machine
Son of a Gun
The Drop

Probably the best performances from Van Damme and Statham respectively.

JCVD_Poster.jpg

Hummingbird2.jpg

crazy%2Bposter.jpg

C.R.A.Z.Y., one of my favorite films. Five brothers in 1980s Quebec growing up under a machista dad, one struggles with his incipient gayness. From Jean Marc Vallée, the guy from Dallas Buyers Club.

12263_poster-of-the-great-beauty.jpg

I'm obsessed with this movie. It won the Academy Award, the Golden Globe and the BAFTA last year for best foreign language film and deservedly so.
It's like Fellini,Lynch and Luhrmann all mashed together.

Starring Henry Winkler and Michael Keaton, the Ron Howard directed 80's comedy about two guys who come up with a unique way to deliver prostitutes... NIGHT SHIFT: [YT]B6UUorfHiP8[/YT]

A truly great musical from a time when most would say the musical died. Dolly Parton and Burt Reynolds headline a minor classic... THE BEST LITTLE ****EHOUSE IN TEXAS: [YT]z3uX58tQ7mQ[/YT]

An overlooked gem of sci fi/fantasy from the 80's with Dennis Quaid and Lou Gosset Jr. ...ENEMY MINE:[YT]5jmckKGD_SY[/YT]

George Hamilton's parody magnum opus... ZORRO, THE GAY BLADE: [YT]K22iiWlNpvg[/YT]

Sylvester Stallone's groundbreaking urban terrorism actioner... NIGHTHAWKS:[YT]k5yOkNVjZtA[/YT]

One of the great ensemble films of all time and truly the last gasp of the great classic American Western era... SILVERADO: [YT]8RP5cWV8b3c[/YT]

An actual classic from the era of the Great American Westerns, starring John Wayne and Kirk Douglas... THE WAR WAGON:[YT]AqT6pt8fdcQ[/YT]

John Sturges film that became the template for every other film about men escaping war time imprisonment, the ensemble masterpiece... THE GREAT ESCAPE: [YT]ykL0MtsaNdc[/YT]

As THE MAN FROM SNOWY RIVER should be seen by every boy before he reaches 18 so to for young girls with this film about a young lady that makes a trek to find hope and family... THE JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN:[YT]leaqKfAB12o[/YT]

Almost a parody of film noir but still cool by any standard, the Robert Mitchum, Jane Russell and Vincent Price (he's such a hoot in this) film... HIS KIND OF WOMAN: [YT]smdt0wGkrfg[/YT]

A bit of a fluffy 80's trifle that gets by on the charm of James Garner as the lead. The story of a man, his son and the big honking piece of machinery that they built together... TANK!: [YT]gAbkNu_rF50[/YT]

The trailer for the very good play to film adaptation... A SOLDIER'S STORY:[YT]SG1mF1jtul0[/YT]

The very underrated 1980's "grounded and gritty" (see how long this has actually been going on?) take on Edgar Rice's classic Lord of The Apes... GREYSTOKE: THE LEGEND OF TARZAN :[YT]yAv0qgcP2UM[/YT]

For it's time (1964) this wasn't an at all "bad" sci fi movie attempting to shoe horn in some real science, given the limits of knowledge at the time. Sure it's no 2001:ASO but what is? I give you... ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS:[YT]Egf7wjf0nqU[/YT]

Another fluffy 80's trifle that gets by on the good natured performance of it's lead, in this case the debut of singer/song writer Kenny Rogers as a race car driver that gets a sextet of kids dropped in his lap... SIX PACK:[YT]wfAQE71h5dQ[/YT]

While it's not quite at the level of some other martial arts film's level, neither is it totally without some very effective pleasures. That it also has some very good "realistic" samurai style fight choreography just adds to my own enjoyment to it. I give you... THE HUNTED: [YT]op6AeXNWG50[/YT]

One of a few comedy/dramas that Richard Pryor made back in the day. This might be the best of them, BUSTIN' LOOSE: [YT]sVoEWa0X5BU[/YT]

Last edited:
A somewhat forgotten comedy from the 1980's starring Steve Martin and Lily Tomlin about two souls in one body. ALL OF ME: [YT]mgB3uH4VHuA[/YT]

A great heist film. A great war film. A great Clint Eastwood film. Of course I'm talking about KELLY'S HEROES: [YT]beAQVm1j56w[/YT]

A true classic by Humphrey Bogart. The ensemble war film about a single tank defended a single oasis during the North African campaign of WWII, SAHARA: [YT]15PMPdCeT-8[/YT]

I think this film is very underrated, though even I will admit it's a step or two below the modern classics of the CGI variety. Still, I think the story and comedy work and I really think that the voice work in this film, yep, even Shia, WORKS. Like, the performances given, especially in the "dramatic" stuff, just resonates for some reason turning the talking animals of the film into very well rounded characters. The trailer for SURF'S UP: [YT]X8dKvkSfDVc[/YT]

A star studded old school WWII film with Frank Sinatra leading the cast, which includes Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson, about OSS operations in the East Asian theater of the war... NEVER SO FEW: [YT]mhiP4niVKDE[/YT]

Another Sinatra WWII film about POW's in Italy. If only one man gets out, it would be on... VON RYAN'S EXPRESS:[YT]NxCHiZ-UxOI[/YT]

A character driven film about the patrols by U.S. Navy seamen along the Yangtze river, starring Steve McQueen... THE SAND PEBBLES:[YT]bkb5JDAGcFs[/YT]

Most people when they think of John Carpenter think of films like HALLOWEEN, or THE THING or ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK, but he also produced this wonderful gem of a film starring Karen Allen and Jeff Bridges about what happens when an alien race actually sends one of their own here after discovering the Voyager probe with it's message from the collective humanity of Earth. I give you... STARMAN:[YT]vZ1eAeEAeq8[/YT]

A totally forgotten film from the late 80's that has an all star cast in one hell of a great "adult" anthology comedy that skewers just about every genre under the sun. The trailer for... AMAZON WOMEN ON THE MOON:[YT]TSuhi1o_9Cs[/YT]

This film would be worth it just for William Shatner's parts alone... Thankfully it has more to offer. While it's not considered as funny as the original, I will always laugh out loud at the insanity that is... AIRPLANE 2: THE SEQUEL :[YT]gyHW6jUZzyI[/YT]

One of Denzel Washington's first on screen roles, playing opposite George Segal as the son Segal never knew he had. The interracial and across class lines comedy/drama... CARBON COPY:[YT]Mwv655uA_Gw[/YT]

One of the great on screen comedy duos of all time. Richard Pryor and Gen Wilder star in the tale of two wrongly convicted men that have to make due in prison... STIR CRAZY:[YT]K_f7BSTOQY[/YT]

Patricia Arquette stars in the story of a woman caught up in the middle of the chaos of political upheaval in John Boorman's 1995 feature... BEYOND RANGOON:[YT]0WhJt46AhFk[/YT]

Boorman went semi-autobiographical with this film about life for the very young in WWII era London... HOPE AND GLORY:[YT]32wyLEBf60c[/YT]

A cult classic and a real pioneer in the world of independent film in the USA, plus a time capsule of a certain moment in American culture in general, the story of a guy that's gonna kick you in the head and there's not a damn thing you can do about it... BILLY JACK:[YT]ZqXvqaBw_iA[/YT]

Last edited:
There has been talk of a re-make in the last few days. What better time to expose yourself to the wonderfully crafted tale of a mother mouse looking for help from a society of rats that are perhaps smarter than any animal should be. Don Bluth's fun and scary tale for all ages... THE SECRET OF NIMH: [YT]5aZA4qB85r4[/YT]

Perhaps not the greatest film, but an interesting mix of the science fiction genre and the film HIGH NOON. Sean Connery stars as a lawman on a mining colony that is perhaps too dedicated for his own good in a time an place where it seems that many have no interest in law or order. Peter Hyams directs... OUTLAND:[YT]Ez2XfvN8XSc[/YT]

An interesting forgotten scifi/horror film from the 1980's. Denis Quaid stars as a man capable of entering dreams who gets caught up in a world of intrigue and high stakes politics... AND GIANT COBRA MEN! (No... Really.) DREAMSCAPE:[YT]nRYp3LPL0bc[/YT]

It is a really good movie... But an inaccurate biography. Still, it is a very good story and if it inspires people to learn the truth behind the legends then so much the better. Perhaps director Rob Cohen's ONLY good movie... DRAGON: THE BRUCE LEE STORY. [YT]MDKTBiHBmeI[/YT]

I can't say I love this film... There's a just something off about it's entire execution, that said... It's still worth a look. Plus... Everyone and their brother is in this cast, from Diane Lane to Willem Dafoe! Walter Hill's STREETS OF FIRE:[YT]Eiv9Bhbsxfk[/YT]

Now, I wish I could post the trailer or even the link for the next film, but I don't want to get banned. So... Just go to YouTube and type in USED CARS (1980) Trailer and see for yourself. It's one of a plethora of raunchy comedy films from the post Animal House era with a huge cast and lodes of nudity... if that's what your are into. It's a bit of a forgotten gem I would say, starring Kurt Russell, Jack Warden, Micheal McKean and a few others most would recognize. It was directed by Robert Zemeckis and was his ONLY R rated film until the Denzel Washington film FLIGHT.

With the voices of Mia Farrow, Jeff Bridges, Christopher Lee and Alan Arkin, this is just a joy of a film from start to finish. An animated fairy tale from the 1980's that will stick with a child all their life. I give you the Rankin/Bass production of... THE LAST UNICORN:[YT]t-UpwWauZ50[/YT]

One of the greatest films with two of the greatest performances. The story of a Philadelphia homicide detective that finds himself in the segregated South of the U.S. during the late 1960's, pressed into the service of a small town Sheriff's Dept. run by a hardened "good ole' boy" who never the less, knows he needs to keep the North Eastern lawman around if he is to solve a case which will affect the whole town. Rod Steiger and Sidney Poitier star in Norman Jewison's IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT: [YT]K9bzzr3uhco[/YT]

More character study than straight forward Western as most people think, it's still worth a look. I have my problems with the pacing and such, but the performances by the leads, and some very good dialog make up for any flaws. Ed Harris directs and stars alongside Viggo Mortensen, Renee Zellweger and Jeremy Irons in... APPALOOSA:[YT]h57n6R9pbU0[/YT]

A legendary film by Director Robert Wise with choreography by Jerome Robbins. When I was a kid the showing of this on local TV was a bit of an event. My father was a transplant from Puerto Rico himself and my mother was Puerto Rican too, born on Roosevelt Island. What ever poetic license the original play and film took in telling it's story, they both said there was A LOT of truth in the way it dramatized the street life of young men and women in that period in the Big Apple. The transcendent musical that does what few films do, move through you and over you. I give you... WEST SIDE STORY:[YT]-tK9tARX83Y[/YT]

They brought you THE JERK. Now, Steve Martin and Carl Reiner apologize for it in one of the most unusual, but very funny, and underrated comedies of all time. It's a mashup of classic film noir movies and original material by Martin and Reiner. Presenting the trailer for... DEAD MEN DON'T WEAR PLAID:[YT]x2efDnLZjsk[/YT]

A classic that never the less, I feel, has been somewhat forgotten these days, and for sure, most people under 35 aren't familiar with. A great buddy comedy, chase, and road picture. Robert Deniro and Charles Grodin in Director Martin Brest's... MIDNIGHT RUN:[YT]khVFiUShfR8[/YT]

I can only assume that some of the science of the film has been overturned since the film was made so very long ago, and hope that a modern audience would give it a shot and in the least find it entertaining. The nature film ANIMALS ARE BEAUTIFUL people, will always have a place in my heart. It was a fine introduction to the plethora of animal life on the African continent. I think it would still be an entertaining piece for the under 10 crowd these days. [YT]024pjWAvGBA[/YT]

So this is just... the KRYPTON INC. thread, then? :p Not that I mind, keep up the good work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"