Official Foreign Film Discussion Thread! COMPLETE WITH LIST!

Movies205

Corporate Money
Reaction score
Here it is an official thread for the discussion and promotion of foriegn films, complete with a good list to start with. Something to note, please leave if you wish to be condescending or patronizing!

http://www.foreignfilms.com/

These are the ones I've Seen(24 Seen):
1. Seven Samurai (1954), Japan
directed by Akira Kurosawa
2. 8 1/2 (1963), Italy
directed by Federico Fellini
3. Rashomon (1951), Japan
6. The Bicycle Thief (1948),Italy
directed by Vittorio De Sica
5. The Seventh Seal (1956), Sweden
directed by Ingmar Bergman
8. M (1931), Germany
directed by Fritz Lang
9. Ran (1985), Japan
12. Persona (1966), Sweden
13. City of God (2002), Brazil
directed by Fernando Meirelles
14. The 400 Blows (1959), France
directed by Francois Truffaut
15. La Dolce Vita (1960), Italy
29. In the Mood for Love (2000), Hong Kong
directed by Wong Kar-Wai
35. Spirited Away (2001), Japan
directed by Hayao Miyazaki
19. Yojimbo (1961), Japan
33. Nights of Cabiria (1957), Italy
45. Nosferatu (1922), Germany
directed by F.W. Murnau
54. Cinema Paradiso (1988), Italy
directed by Giuseppe Tornatore
55. All About My Mother (1999), Spain
directed by Pedro Almodovar
57. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1919), Germany
directed by Robert Wiene
79. Hero (2002), China
directed by Yimou Zhang
80. Run Lola Run (1998), Germany
directed by Tom Tykwer
87. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000), Taiwan
directed by Ang Lee
86. The Killer (1989), Hong Kong
directed by John Woo
97. Life is Beautiful (1998), Italy
directed by Roberto Benigni

The Ones I haven't seen(76 Unseen)
4. Wild Strawberries (1957), Sweden
7. Cries and Whispers (1972), Sweden
10. Amelie (2001), France
directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet
11. Ikiru (1952), Japan
16. Stalker (1979), Russia
directed by Andrei Tarkovsky
17. Raise the Red Lantern (1991), China
directed by Yimou Zhang
18. Andrei Rublev (1966), Russia
20. Throne of Blood (1957), Japan
21. Grand Illusion (1937), France
directed by Jean Renoir
22. La Strada (1954), Italy
23. The Exterminating Angel (1962), Mexico
directed by Luis Bunuel
24. The Mirror (1974), Russia
25. Children of Paradise (1945), France
directed by Marcel Carne
26. Aguirre, Wrath of God (1972), Germany
directed by Werner Herzog
27. Los Olvidados (1950), Mexico
directed by Luis Bunuel
28. Umberto D (1952), Italy
directed by Vittorio De Sica
30. Metropolis (1926), Germany
directed by Fritz Lang
31. Fanny and Alexander (1982), Sweden
32. Beauty and the Beast (1946), France
directed by Jean Cocteau
34. The Rules of the Game (1939), France
directed by Jean Renoir
36. Nostalghia (1983), Russia
37. The Silence (1963), Sweden
38. Tokyo Story (1953), Japan
directed by Yasujiro Ozu
39. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1972), France
directed by Luis Bunuel
40. Solaris (1972), Russia
41. Winter Light (1962), Sweden
42. Viridiana (1961), Spain
directed by Luis Bunuel
43. Breathless (1959), France
directed by Jean-Luc Godard
44. My Life to Live (1962), France
46. Pather Panchali (1955), India
directed by Satyajit Ray
47. Open City (1945), Italy
directed by Roberto Rossellini
48. That Obscure Object of Desire (1977), France
directed by Luis Bunuel
49. Through a Glass Darkly (1961), Sweden
50. L'Age d'Or (1930), France
directed by Luis Bunuel
51. Un Chien Andalou (1928), France
directed by Luis Bunuel
52. Ugetsu Monogatari (1953), Japan
directed by Kenji Mizoguchi
53. The Wages of Fear (1953), France
directed by Henri-Georges Clouzot
56. Sansho the Bailiff (1954), Japan
directed by Kenji Mizoguchi
58. Amarcord (1973), Italy
59. Show Me Love (1998), Sweden
directed by Lukas Moodysson
60. L'Avventura (1960), Italy
directed by Michelangelo Antonioni
61. Battleship Potemkin (1925), Russia
directed by Sergei Eisenstein
62. Smiles of a Summer Night (1955), Sweden
63. La Notte (1961), Italy
directed by Michelangelo Antonioni
64. Talk to Her (2001), Spain
65. Das Boot (1981), Germany
directed by Wolfgang Petersen
66. The Hidden Fortress (1958), Japan
67. The Leopard (1963), Italy
directed by Luchino Visconti
68. The Children of Heaven (1997), Iran
directed by Majid Majidi
69. Chungking Express (1994), Hong Kong
directed by Wong Kar-Wai
70. Princess Mononoke (1997), Japan
directed by Hayao Miyazaki
71. To Live (1994), China
directed by Yimou Zhang
72. Au Revoir les Enfants (1987), France
directed by Louis Malle
73. Ivan's Childhood (1962), Russia
74. Contempt (1963), France
75. Amores Perros (2000), Mexico
directed by Alejandro Gonzalez Iniarritu
76. Central Station (1998), Brazil
directed by Walter Salles
77. Underground (1995), Yugoslavia
directed by Emir Kusturica
78. Fitzcarraldo (1982), Germany
directed by Werner Herzog
81. Shoot the Piano Player (1960), France
82. Sanjuro (1962), Japan
83. Belle de Jour (1967), France
directed by Luis Bunuel
84. Alexander Nevsky (1938), Russia
directed by Sergei Eisenstein
85. Pierrot Le Fou (1965), France
88. Hiroshima, Mon Amour (1959), France
directed by Alain Resnais
89. Jean de Florette (1986), France
directed by Claude Berri
90. Jules and Jim (1961), France
91. Lovers of the Arctic Circle (1998), Spain
directed by Julio Medem
92. High and Low (1963), Japan
93. Diabolique (1954), France
directed by Henri-Georges Clouzot
94. Kagemusha (1980), Japan
95. The Virgin Spring (1959), Sweden
96. Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (1988), Spain
98. Manon of the Spring (1986), France
directed by Claude Berri
99. The Wild Reeds (1994), France
directed by Andre Techine
100. No Man's Land (2001), UK
directed by Danis Tanovic

Wow, thats an excellent list. Superb, might I add. There are many I havent seen, but damn, I do know most of those, and im sure they are all quality.

The people with taste here at superherohype should take note.

And both Kurosawa and Miyazaki are well seen in that list. :)

The one ive seen:
Seven Samurai
Rashomon
Ran
Persona
The 400 blows
Raise the red lantern
Yojimbo
Throne of blood
In the mood for love
Spirited away
Breathless
Nosferatu
Un chien andalou
Cinema paradiso
The cabinet of dr. caligari
Battleship potemkin
Das boot
Hidden fortress
Mononke-hime
Hero
Run lola run
Sanjuro
The killer
Crouching tiger
Kagemusha
life is beautiful

Damn I do want to see most of the ones I havent seen.

Good thread, btw, mate.

edit: No totoro, though. Imo, while I love spirited away, Totoro is a superior kind of work. It is way more magical in his simplicity, and his narrative work is so original it puts to shame nearly every kid movies out there. It should have at least been in there, especially since Spirited was (which im sure it was because its more well know, sigh).

Oh well, no list is perfect.

I try... As for Totoro it's been a long time I saw that when I was a little kid, I'll have to give that rewatch. I have right now "15. La Dolce Vita (1960), Italy directed by Federico Fellini" from netflix, I'm going watch that in a little bit and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari coming in next. Damn so many films to see so little time... I'm glad they went with the Killer instead of Hard Boiled because I agree, Killer is better :up:

Movies205 said:
I try... As for Totoro it's been a long time I saw that when I was a little kid, I'll have to give that rewatch. I have right now "15. La Dolce Vita (1960), Italy directed by Federico Fellini" from netflix, I'm going watch that in a little bit and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari coming in next. Damn so many films to see so little time... I'm glad they went with the Killer instead of Hard Boiled because I agree, Killer is better :up:

Yes, do watch Totoro. The finest children movie ever made, imo. ;)

I don't think i've unfortunately ever seen a Fellini movie (not even 8 1/2, sigh), at least, not as far as I know (though, there are many international movies I have seen which I neither remember who directed it, or even simply what the title was).

Caligari is awesome. I love those old horror expresionnist movies (I have no idea how you say that in english, in french, it is expressionniste) Anyway, Caligari is the first one of that wave, and considered by many as the finest of those. Personnally, I know it's a typical choice, but I prefer Nosferatu by Murnau. And I so damn want to see more than the 5 minutes i've seen of metropolis. Heck, every german horror movies from that decade (Golem, M, etc). Sniff.

And i'm also glad (but not surprised) they put the killer instead of Harboiled. Actually, i'm surprised they put a John Woo movie. A better tomorrow is the most important action movie of the last 20 years, but it is still inferior to The killer.

Hardboiled doesn't deserve the praise, imo. I like it, of course, but it is SUCH a ridiculous and dumb movie, just as much as any Hollywood Woo movies. The killer had heart, a lot like Leon the professional does.

Btw, I recommend every Miyazaki movies. They are all masterpieces (I've just noticed you haven't seen Princess mononoke). You lucky bastard. I remember the first time I saw Mononoke. :)

I tottally agree about Hard Boiled also I didn't like the action as much, I like the simple pistol action. As for Nosferatu, that's a great flick, I absolutely love how they portray Dracula, as a scary creature, not some metrosexual slick back hair and all. I should check out that film again.

yeah, that's good.

kinda heavy-hitters-heavy, would do good with a lil more recent stuff...but if you see em all you'd be much much better for it (other than the few i've never heard of, but sure they're good too).

I've only seen:

9. Ran (1985)
13. City of God (2002)
29. In the Mood for Love (2000)
35. Spirited Away (2001)
45. Nosferatu (1922)
79. Hero (2002)
87. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)
97. Life is Beautiful (1998)
1. Seven Samurai (1954)
2. 8 1/2 (1963)
3. Rashomon (1951)
4. Wild Strawberries (1957)
5. The Seventh Seal (1956)
6. The Bicycle Thief (1948)
7. Cries and Whispers (1972)
10. Amelie (2001)
14. The 400 Blows (1959)
30. Metropolis (1926)
43. Breathless (1959)
47. Open City (1945)
59. Show Me Love (1998)
60. L'Avventura (1960)
61. Battleship Potemkin (1925)
63. La Notte (1961)
64. Talk to Her (2001)
67. The Leopard (1963)
69. Chungking Express (1994)
70. Princess Mononoke (1997)
75. Amores Perros (2000)
100. No Man's Land (2001)

srsly, why does hype suck so bad?

kypade said:
yeah, that's good.

kinda heavy-hitters-heavy, would do good with a lil more recent stuff...but if you see em all you'd be much much better for it (other than the few i've never heard of, but sure they're good too).

Well, it is the 100 best foreign movies, most recent movies haven't really had time to prove themself. ;)

I'd like to see how they would mesh those with american movies. I mean, most of those are of a much higher quality than most of the big hollywood movies.

Did they do that Movies205 ? I mean, a complete list ?

TheSaintofKillers said:
Well, it is the 100 best foreign movies, most recent movies haven't really had time to prove themself. ;)

I'd like to see how they would mesh those with american movies. I mean, most of those are of a much higher quality than most of the big hollywood movies.

Did they do that Movies205 ? I mean, a complete list ?

Top 100 American movies is a different ball-park because these movies are things that inspired the film-makers of today. The movies I grew up on were because of the movies on the top 100 list, it's why Citizen Kane would seem like "meh" the first time you watch it because, these movies are hte building blocks of today's movies. With that said they still kick ass today... 2001 Space Odssey, Wild Bunch, and Modern Times are the movies I just saw in the past 3 days and they all blew my mind in one way or another. With that said West Side Story blew major donkey balls and I stop watching it after 40 minutes.

i've probably seen about 2/3 of that list and the only things that seem odd to me are that, for German film makers, there's no Rainer Werner Fasbinder or Wim Wenders on there. Also South America seems a little under-represented (though he's not everyone's cup of tea, i'd add Raoul Ruiz to the list).
And hey, why aren't there more women represented!?

But...most of the films on there are pretty great- i just might've bumped some of the mutiple appearances by established directors to make room for some other guys and gals...

I'd surprised Yimou Zhang's Happy Times is not on that list. Loved it. Good to see his other works on there tho.

And no Park Chanwook?

Good thread. I'm always looking for more foreign films to see.

SolidSnakeMGS said:
I'd surprised Yimou Zhang's Happy Times is not on that list. Loved it. Good to see his other works on there tho.

And no Park Chanwook?

Good thread. I'm always looking for more foreign films to see.

Park Chanwook is relatively recent Oldboy came out in 2003, and that was preceded by one movie I believe and another movie came out after that so all in all the Vengeance Trilogy is relatively recent.

^ Yeah, I kinda figured. But they still could make room. Life is Beautiful is way overrated and Kagemusha was just warm up for Ran.

SolidSnakeMGS said:
^ Yeah, I kinda figured. But they still could make room. Life is Beautiful is way overrated and Kagemusha was just warm up for Ran.

I personnally prefer Kagemusha over Ran. Both are masterpieces, though.

I've seen...
2. 8 1/2 (1963), Italy
3. Rashomon (1951), Japan
4. Wild Strawberries (1957), Sweden
5. The Seventh Seal (1956), Sweden
6. The Bicycle Thief (1948), Italy
7. Cries and Whispers (1972), Sweden
8. M (1931), Germany
12. Persona (1966), Sweden
14. The 400 Blows (1959), France
31. Fanny and Alexander (1982), Sweden
74. Contempt (1963), France
76. Central Station (1998), Brazil
81. Shoot the Piano Player (1960), France
87. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000), Taiwan
90. Jules and Jim (1961), France
97. Life is Beautiful (1998), Italy

(...and part of Amelie, but it didn't take.)

I also own...
37. The Silence (1963), Sweden
41. Winter Light (1962), Sweden
49. Through a Glass Darkly (1961), Sweden

And I've been meaning to buy...
60. L'Avventura (1960), Italy

So, I like the list. It's got a decent amount of Ingmar Bergman, and I just adore that guy. Of what I've seen, I think Central Station is ranked a bit too highly and Jules and Jim is a bit too far down, but this stuff is so subjective that it doesn't matter. Just from what I've seen, there's a lot of quality to be found on the list.

Run Lola Run should definately be higher on the list
And Oldboy deserves a spot somewhere on the list as well

Carter said:
Run Lola Run should definately be higher on the list
And Oldboy deserves a spot somewhere on the list as well

Look at the movies higher than Run Lola run, for godsake. While Run was a very interesting movies, the others are some of the most important pieces of filmmaking ever put on films.

Must Lola really be HIGHER than movies by legendary filmmakers like Murnau, Godard, Bergman, Fellini, Kurosawa ?

And while I love Oldboy, it's really hard to figure how it could be in there, since it hasn't proved itself yet.

And I was thinking, looking at that list, I love even more the fact that Miyazaki is in there. Things have changed. I remember when Miya wasn't know at all around here, and (while I love them) movies like Akira and Ghost in the shell were considered by and far the creme of the creme in the anime market. (Of course, both are two of the best masterpieces ever done, but that's not my point here).

Miya is by and far the most important and biggest (and best) animated filmmaker on the planet. By far. Look at that list. NO animation, except for two (and I repeat, TWO) Miyazaki movies.

Take that world, Miya owns ya.

My favourite non-English language movies....

Brotherhood of the Wolf
Casshern
Bichunmoo
So Close
Metropolis
The Cabinet of Dr Caligari
Nosferatu
Hedgehog in the Fog

TheSaintofKillers said:
Look at the movies higher than Run Lola run, for godsake. While Run was a very interesting movies, the others are some of the most important pieces of filmmaking ever put on films.

Pretty debateable, but I see what you mean. So you're saying Amelie is more "important" than Lola though?

Must Lola really be HIGHER than movies by legendary filmmakers like Murnau, Godard, Bergman, Fellini, Kurosawa ?

And why not? Just because the filmmakers are legendary? And the guy didn't say higher than those guys necessarily, just higher on the list, which I can agree with.

And while I love Oldboy, it's really hard to figure how it could be in there, since it hasn't proved itself yet.

Since when did a movie have to "prove" itself? I don't get that at all. What does that have to do with the quality of the film itself?

Miya is by and far the most important and biggest (and best) animated filmmaker on the planet. By far. Look at that list. NO animation, except for two (and I repeat, TWO) Miyazaki movies.

Take that world, Miya owns ya.[/quote]

More important than Disney, whose won more Oscars than anyone? That would kinda go against what you were saying before, don't you think? I agree that he owns though.

SolidSnakeMGS said:
Pretty debateable, but I see what you mean. So you're saying Amelie is more "important" than Lola though?

And why not? Just because the filmmakers are legendary? And the guy didn't say higher than those guys necessarily, just higher on the list, which I can agree with.

Since when did a movie have to "prove" itself? I don't get that at all. What does that have to do with the quality of the film itself?

Take that world, Miya owns ya.

SolidSnakeMGS said:
More important than Disney, whose won more Oscars than anyone? That would kinda go against what you were saying before, don't you think? I agree that he owns though.

Oscars. Heh. Oscars has always been more about promoting Hollywood than promoting actual quality. I'll take a festival like Cannes who's international over the Oscars any day of the week, but that's me. Ghibli is what Disney will never be able to be: Real quality. There's a reason two miyazaki movies are with Kurowasa and Fellini movies in that list. Then go and ask people who watch the movies in that list, and chances are, disney movies would never cut it as far as quality goes. But Miya does. He's more than just little cartoon for children with some laugh to entertain the adults, he's movie magic.

But at least you do agree he owns. ;)

And no, I guess I do not agree with Amelie. Then again, i've only seen pieces of it. And while I found it visually interesting, and while it did look good, I doubt it is much better than Lola.

As for Oldboy, I love Oldboy. I felt in love with it the first time I saw it when it first came out. And then I watched it again, and then again. I've seen it nearly 10 times since I brought my Korean dvd back then. But, the movie brought nothing. Maybe in ten years people will have took inspiration from it (I know I already myself did two years ago, if that counts for something, heh) but I find it too soon to name such recent release. Heck, Shaolin Soccer is just as big and isn't in there either, and I wouldn't put it either because of his recent release.

But that's me.

As for the legendary filmmakers remark. Why do you think they are legendary filmmakers ? Maybe because they did legendary films ? Funny I actually have to explain that. ;)

TheSaintofKillers said:
He's more than just little cartoon for children with some laugh to entertain the adults, he's movie magic.
Hey, old school Disney had some quality ****. :up:

TheSaintofKillers said:
Yes it had, still nothing compared to Ghibli.

That is debateable :) Hell I disagree, also oscars are about quality, since most nominations I find are spot-on nearly every year. Also Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and Fantasia are both on AFI best 100 movies, your tastes can be highly bias sometimes.

Movies205 said:
That is debateable :) Hell I disagree, also oscars are about quality, since most nominations I find are spot-on nearly every year.

Disney used to be pionner in animation (i'm talking animation here, not stories, music, etc). They made the animation world tremble and advance back in the days. But then the japaneses got better. Much better. And suddenly, it wasn't just about animation, but about storytelling.

And that's Disney's biggest flaws. They do not have the talent Ghibli have to back then up. Sure, they can do pretty animation (always did. Just looking back at Snow white makes me salivate in wonders).

But Miya is a storyteller, always has been. Movies like Totoro and Princess Mononoke have more dept than most movies on the market in the last 100 years, yet alone Disney.

Miya makes people enjoy life more. They are beautiful movies about children dreams. They transcend the way we see magic on the screen.

When we finally fly with Totoro, we get a glimpse at what magic could be outside of the dreams we used to have back when we were kids. These movies aren't just animation, they are what children should be educated with. In a world such as ours, where so many things go wrong, we need hope, and imo, Miya and ghibli give us that.

Yes, Miya owns Disney's ass and then some.

totoro1998.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"