Official Foreign Film Discussion Thread! COMPLETE WITH LIST!

Movies205 said:
That is debateable :) Hell I disagree, also oscars are about quality, since most nominations I find are spot-on nearly every year. Also Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and Fantasia are both on AFI best 100 movies, your tastes can be highly bias sometimes.

I do not think I am that bias. Of course, i've been wrong, and will be again before I die one day, but there is a reason why I do not care much about oscars, and especially today's oscars.

Heck, isn't it a bit hypocrite of Hollywood to put Citizane Kane on such a high bar, but decades after it's release ? When it came out, did it won best film of the year at the oscar ? Of course it did not, it wasn't what was cool and popular back then. (it won the mere screenplay oscar, sigh).
And then they all go to hail it as one of the greatest movie ever made. That's the oscars for ya, an academy mostly late on the quality.

TheSaintofKillers said:
Disney used to be pionner in animation (i'm talking animation here, not stories, music, etc). They made the animation world tremble and advance back in the days. But then the japanese got better. Much better. And suddenly, it wasn't just about animation, but about storytelling.

And that's Disney's biggest flaws. They do not have the talent Ghibli have to back then up. Sure, they can do pretty animation (always did. Just looking back at Snow white makes me salivate in wonders).

But Miya is a storyteller, always has been. Movies like Totoro and Princess Mononoke have more dept than most movies on the market in the last 100 years, yet alone Disney.

Miya makes people enjoy life more. They are beautiful movies about children dreams. They transcend the way we see magic on the screen.

When we finally fly with Totoro, we get a glimpse at what magic could be outside of the dreams we used to have back when we were kids. These movies aren't just animation, they are what children should be educated with. In a world such as ours, where so many things go wrong, we need hope, and imo, Miya and ghibli give us that.

Yes, Miya owns Disney's ass and then some.

Your opinion, personally I think Studio Ghibli's film equals Disney movies, but doesn't blow it away. I'll concede studio Ghibli has a very unique style and quality but it's like deep movies, simply because a movie is deep it doesn't make it better than a simple movie. At least that's my opinion, and I'm not going argue it because it comes down to opinion since Snow White and Seven Dwarfs, Alice and Wonderland, etc all have amazing animation and stories, to tell me otherwise is ridiculous but which is better, is personal taste, and thus it's useless arguing. Don't get me wrong I love Studio Ghibli and beats the **** out of Disney new stuff but everything before 1999 rivals it.

I think Run Lola Run is probably least deserving on the whole list. ( Besides Cries and Whispers, which was just painful to sit through.)I watched some of it on tv and just found it boring. Plus, it's way too standard "favorite foreign film fare for fake foreign film fans" (check that **** out, nine effs in a row).

kypade said:
I think Run Lola Run is probably least deserving on the whole list. ( Besides Cries and Whispers, which was just painful to sit through.)I watched some of it on tv and just found it boring. Plus, it's way too standard "favorite foreign film fare for fake foreign film fans" (check that **** out, nine effs in a row).

That's why I been avoiding it like the plague because a bunch of wanna-be foreign film fans at my school love it... :(

Movies205 said:
Your opinion, personally I think Studio Ghibli's film equals Disney movies, but doesn't blow it away. I'll concede studio Ghibli has a very unique style and quality but it's like deep movies, simply because a movie is deep it doesn't make it better than a simple movie. At least that's my opinion, and I'm not going argue it because it comes down to opinion since Snow White and Seven Dwarfs, Alice and Wonderland, etc all have amazing animation and stories, to tell me otherwise is ridiculous but which is better, is personal taste, and thus it's useless arguing. Don't get me wrong I love Studio Ghibli and beats the **** out of Disney new stuff but everything before 1999 rivals it.

Of course it's your opinion and it is mine, and I do not judge you any less inferior for comparing Disney to the almighty Miya (tss, we have been arguing enough to respect each others in the last year, me thinks ;) ).

Miya is not just about dept, but it sure does help. I mean, watch again Totoro. It's magical, but why ? Because of how sad and innocent it all is. The dept doesn't just make it more significant, it makes the magic more magical and important.

You've got those 2 little girls, trying to live as if nothing wrong was happening, and yet, their mother is in the hospital. She has been for long, and will still be for a long time. She might die, she might survive, we are not certain, but the girls know. They are 4 and 10 years old, and yet, like many of us, they have to live with such a burden.

Sad, yes. Dept, yes. But that's not it. It is because of this burden that they try to hide in their magical dreams, that Totoro exist. He exist because of their sorrow, and with him, the girls will fly to a magic world full of fur and flying cat bus.

When you see these kids flying with Totoro, you see them trying to forget about their mother's condition, you see them being kids again, which they have difficulty being (since they have to live in such a sad world). And we smile while watching it. Just like the father does, alone in his workshop. We are happy to see kids evade the real world and just be happy.

We were all kids, and we all got to know death and sickness around us. We all used to try hiding ourself from all of that, with books, dreams, movies, games, etc.

The kids in Totoro hides it with real magic. That makes me happy. And that's what you'll never find in snow white, or The little mermaid.

It's not just about dept. You see, the flying sequence IS better and more real and magical because of those details.

So, no, there is no rival here, imo. The only rival Miya ever knew was his best friend, Takahata himself. And he also works for Ghibli. ;)

The day Hayao Miyazaki will die, is the day animation will suffer the most. We don't get a Miya every 10 years. We get one every 100 years.

TheSaintofKillers said:
I do not think I am that bias. Of course, i've been wrong, and will be again before I die one day, but there is a reason why I do not care much about oscars, and especially today's oscars.

Heck, isn't it a bit hypocrite of Hollywood to put Citizane Kane on such a high bar, but decades after it's release ? When it came out, did it won best film of the year at the oscar ? Of course it did not, it wasn't what was cool and popular back then. (it won the mere screenplay oscar, sigh).
And then they all go to hail it as one of the greatest movie ever made. That's the oscars for ya, an academy mostly late on the quality.

Ha... I like how you missed what I said, I said NOMINATIONS are spot, Citizen Kane recieved EIGHT nominations and one win... Your telling me that the academy awards don't recongize quality?

TheSaintofKillers said:
Of course it's your opinion and it is mine, and I do not judge you any less inferior for comparing Disney to the almighty Miya (tss, we have been arguing enough to respect each others in the last year, me thinks ;) ).

Yeah I should note, I respect your opinion quite a bit, I do feel your bias, or more accurately your taste drift more to the foreign films

Miya is not just about dept, but it sure does help. I mean, watch again Totoro. It's magical, but why ? Because of how sad and innocent it all is. The dept doesn't just make it more significant, it makes the magic more magical and important.

You've got those 2 little girls, trying to live as if nothing wrong was happening, and yet, their mother is in the hospital. She has been for long, and will still be for a long time. She might die, she might survive, we are not certain, but the girls know. They are 4 and 10 years old, and yet, like many of us, they have to live with such a burden.

Sad, yes. Dept, yes. But that's not it. It is because of this burden that they try to hide in their magical dreams, that Totoro exist. He exist because of their sorrow, and with him, the girls will fly to a mgaic world full of fur and flying cat bus.

That's why I love Ghibli but I've seen Ghibli get bog down with depth and meaning to the point of hurting the film that being "Howl's Moving Castle" which suffers from a convoluted plot and a weak climax/ending, Ghibli is not untouchable but with that said HMC is still a fine film.

I like Ghibli quite a bit and I still have a fair amount of films to see from them but the magic that disney produces is equally there, it's a different kind, I love all disney films for there innocent and truth, there simple tales told beautifully.

Movies205 said:
Ha... I like how you missed what I said, I said NOMINATIONS are spot, Citizen Kane recieved EIGHT nominations and one win... Your telling me that the academy awards don't recongize quality?

Ok, I missed that. It still didn't win. Which kind of goes back to the same thing.

Saint Killer, have you seen Whisper of the Heart?

TheSaintofKillers said:
Ok, I missed that. It still didn't win. Which kind of goes back to the same thing.

No it doesn't, I've said it once, I love the oscars every year because I go by there nominations, because usually there spot on and a great indictator for the great movies of the year, actual winners are always debatable hell I think Million Dollar Baby is a pretty mediocre movie.

Movies205 said:
Yeah I should note, I respect your opinion quite a bit, I do feel your bias, or more accurately your taste drift more to the foreign films

That's why I love Ghibli but I've seen Ghibli get bog down with depth and meaning to the point of hurting the film that being "Howl's Moving Castle" which suffers from a convoluted plot and a weak climax/ending, Ghibli is not untouchable but with that said HMC is still a fine film.

I like Ghibli quite a bit and I still have a fair amount of films to see from them but the magic that disney produces is equally there, it's a different kind, I love all disney films for there innocent and truth, there simple tales told beautifully.

Could that magic be nostalgia ? I mean, chances are, i've been just as much touched by Disney's movies as you were when I was a kid.

And I half agree with you on Howl's moving castle, and it does show Miya walked in when the project was already begun. Then again, while there are many things happening in the movie, it is never the center piece. It is Sophie and Howl's relationship that is.

TheSaintofKillers said:
Could that magic be nostalgia ? I mean, chances are, i've been just as much touched by Disney's movies as you were when I was a kid.

And I half agree with you on Howl's moving castle, and it does show Miya walked in when the project was already begun. Then again, while there are many things happening in the movie, it is never the center piece. It is Sophie and Howl's relationship that is.

I don't know most movies I've seen from my child-hood I can easily identify that are crap or not as good, and Disney movie still stick with me. Then again I might rank Spirited Away a head of most Disney films but not like it tottaly kicks disney's ass. Well I'm off to finish La Dolce Vita!

kypade said:
Saint Killer, have you seen Whisper of the Heart?

Of course I have. I would be a very poor Miya fan if I hadn't at least seen the movies he wrote the screenplay for. Heck, i've seen most old shows and movies he did back in the 60's and 70's when he was only being an animation director. ;)

And I love Whisper of the heart. Kondo would have been a fine addition to ghibli. Sniff.

The first time I saw the movie, it actually changed my life. You know how the main character decides to go on and write her story no matter what, to prove to herself she can ? That truly affected me, and I went on to write my first short movie script the same night I had just watched that. And the result actually convinced me cinema might be a good place for my horror creations. And then I went on to study in cinema, and I just finished my new 20 minutes short horror movies this summer.

I have no idea if I truly would be where I was if it wasn't for that movie. Thank you, Miya. :)

(did you know there is an actualy sequel to the manga of whisper of the heart ? And i'm not talking about the cat returns, but rather of an actual sequel made by the same writer/artist of the first manga of Whisper, with the same characters. I'd love to read that one day)

It seems like a good list. Some of the order seems really arbitrary, but the movies on it are all good.

A bit disappointed they don't have The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, dir. by Werner Herzog in 1974. It's my favorite German film, and IMO is definitely comparable with many films on the list.

Like Water For Chocolate? Y Tu Mama Tambien? Leon?:( Oh, well. The list is still pretty damn good.

City of God was 13, separated onto the list with the films he has seen.

Looks like good list.

I've seen:
3. Rashomon (1951), Japan (Fcking great film! 5 out of 5)
10. Amelie (2001), France
11. Ikiru (1952), Japan
13. City of God (2002), Brazil
35. Spirited Away (2001), Japan
40. Solaris (1972), Russia
45. Nosferatu (1922), Germany
64. Talk to Her (2001), Spain
65. Das Boot (1981), Germany
70. Princess Mononoke (1997), Japan
87. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000), Taiwan

And I've seen half of Ran. It was pretty boring so I stopped watching and never finished. Run, Lola Run is something I always wanted to see but never got the chance.

Rac said:
Looks like good list.

I've seen:
3. Rashomon (1951), Japan (Fcking great film! 5 out of 5)
10. Amelie (2001), France
11. Ikiru (1952), Japan
13. City of God (2002), Brazil
35. Spirited Away (2001), Japan
40. Solaris (1972), Russia
45. Nosferatu (1922), Germany
64. Talk to Her (2001), Spain
65. Das Boot (1981), Germany
70. Princess Mononoke (1997), Japan
87. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000), Taiwan

And I've seen half of Ran. It was pretty boring so I stopped watching and never finished. Run, Lola Run is something I always wanted to see but never got the chance.

Depends on the mood. Give Ran another chance. Kurosawa never intended the movie to be like Rashomon or seven samurai (do see that one also, btw).

Ran is another beast altogether. It's slow, and beautiful. It feels like a strange dream, shaped out of a weird old japanese guy. Really, I always found that Ran felt a lot like Kurosawa's Dreams movie.

Now, Ran IS a masterpiece. Watch it in a different way you watch most movie usually. Maybe with a friend ? Look at the scenery, at the colors. They are visually awesome, and the mood is downright unique in these kind of movies.

Anyway, just a recommendation.

TheSaintofKillers said:
Depends on the mood. Give Ran another chance. Kurosawa never intended the movie to be like Rashomon or seven samurai (do see that one also, btw).

Ran is another beast altogether. It's slow, and beautiful. It feels like a strange dream, shaped out of a weird old japanese guy. Really, I always found that Ran felt a lot like Kurosawa's Dreams movie.

Now, Ran IS a masterpiece. Watch it in a different way you watch most movie usually. Maybe with a friend ? Look at the scenery, at the colors. They are visually awesome, and the mood is downright unique in these kind of movies.

Anyway, just a recommendation.

Ran is an absolutely beautiful film, every scene speaks to you on some level, but GOD DAMN IS IT SLOW and can be down right boring... That's why I watched it over three days a hour at a time, and I still rank it at a 8 or 9, cuz there just so much beauty in the film, but it's slow. Personally I find Dreams to be Kurosawa's best film, I still have to see Seven Samurai.

La Dolce Vita
Directed by Federico Fellini
Rating: 8/10

I saw two films in the past 2 days that I was told are boring, I disagree quite a bit, there attention to detail and subtleties is superb, those two movies were 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) and La Dolce Vita (1960) but both movies are great pieces of art, and with great pieces of art, it takes more than one viewing to really understand. With that said La Dolce Vita is still entertaining and not boring at all.

La Dolce Vita tells the story of a gossip-columnist who leads a life of fleeting decadence and has a suicidal girlfriend. The first distinctive feature of this movie is that it's not broken in typical three act structure but more into a very episodic structure, as you follow the gossip-columnist, Marcello, on his adventures. This type of story telling is dangerous because you run the risk of becoming self-indulgent, meandering, and boring because the audience can't get a grip on the story, this happened with "A Scanner Darkly" (2006) but with this there's a very meaningful character driving the story so each episode has meaning behind it. But you do still get those traces of boredom or anxiety because you don't quite get what the story is about or where it's going till about 2/3 into the movie.

The acting in this movie is excellent, even with the language barrier, all the emotions were clearly convey to the viewer. And I love the cinematography the movie just absolutely beautifully shot. In the end I really liked the movie but I was still puzzled by what I saw it's one of those movies, that get better with repeated viewing. Hence why I took 2 points off but other than that, great movie :up:

Decent list but it seems like they're going more for popular movies than better ones. For example, I see Amélie in there but I easily found both Delicatessen and La Cité des Enfant Perdus to be better films by Jeunet.
Same thing for Murnau: where the hell is Sunrise? And no Pasolini? WTF?

Also, the name of the list should be foreign languange movies since I don't see any british movies in it.

As for Ran, I never get tired of that movie. It's one of those which I'd gladly take to my grave. ;)

Edward Brock said:
Decent list but it seems like they're going more for popular movies than better ones. For example, I see Amélie in there but I easily found both Delicatessen and La Cité des Enfant Perdus to be better films by Jeunet.
Same thing for Murnau: where the hell is Sunrise? And no Pasolini? WTF?

Also, the name of the list should be foreign languange movies since I don't see any british movies in it.

As for Ran, I never get tired of that movie. It's one of those which I'd gladly take to my grave. ;)

Mind naming some good british films besides Guy Ritchie stuff?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"