Days of Future Past Official Rate and Review DAYS OF FUTURE PAST - Part 1

7/10

I think some people are overrating it a little because it's the first really decent one since X-Men.

7/10

I think some people are overrating it a little because it's the first really decent one since X-Men.

Do you mean X-men 2? I can't fathom why anyone would place X1 over X2 and FC.

I was going to see it in two weeks, but I gave in and saw it this afternoon. It's a great movie, it flowed very well, and there was never a moment when I thought the movie dragged and wanted it to go back to the future. I was very much interested in what the characters in the past were saying, what they were doing, and what was happening around them, which I didn't expect.

The first 15 minutes, particularly the opening scenes (inhibitor collars, dumping of human corpses) did an excellent job at illustrating the severity of the situation.

Warpath was a waste of space as I expected, and the coolest thing about Bishop was his death.

Quicksilver was fun, I liked seeing the hint to his paternity for myself, and I look forward to seeing more of him in X-Men: Apocalypse.

Favourite line: :wolverine "You wanna pick all that s**t up?":hehe:

I liked Dinklage as Trask, but his performance wasn't particularly memorable. However, one scene that has stuck out for me was when he's in the Oval Office, he turns to one of Nixon's dogs and it sits down immediately. It reminded me of a scene in Triumph of the Will when Hitler is being driven through Nuremburg and there's a shot of a cat on a ledge turning around, and then a shot of Hitler looking up as if to show that even animals acknowledge his presence. I doubt that there was the intention to allude to that film, but I immediately recalled it during that scene.

It was good to see Hank in the thick of the action throughout the movie, but I echo what many have already said, which is that I'm ready to see him fully embrace the Beast. There was a bit of that when he chose to "Beast out" and attack the Sentinel, ripping out parts of it with his mouth!

I would have liked to see Beast and Wolverine fight a few more Sentinels and see another mutant or two (Havok perhaps) join them.

McAvoy and Fassbender had the best performances of the movie. Charles putting down the syringe and accepting the chair, and Magneto's speech were among their standout scenes.

The deaths were pretty brutal—Strom being stabbed and tossed into the abyss like a ragdoll, Iceman being melted, Colossus being ripped in half.:(

My favourite part of the movie was seeing Scott and Jean alive at the end, just as I knew would happen:up:.

:up:Storm was rocking that white suit, and I thought Elder Beast looked good too (I don't know what people are going on about with regards to his look).

I felt the future scenes at the end were a continuation of their story, not an ending or a farewell (regardless of what Kinberg says, who's a flip-flopper), and even just for the new technology in 2023, it would be a waste not to have any more movies set in the future.

This movie reinvigorated the franchise (I know most say that about First Class or The Wolverine, but that's not how I see it), and I look at it as a prelude to the formation of the X-Men (I liked Logan telling Charles to remember Storm, Scott, and Jean) in X-Men: Apocalypse.

I give X-Men: Days of Future Past a 9/10.

So I went to see it a second time tonight and boy oh boy, it's even better! It may have been seeing it in 2D, or seeing it not completely sleep-deprived at midnight, but man that's a phenomenal movie. My favourite ever? It's definitely up there, easily top this year.

Watching it a second time really helped me put some pieces together that I hadn't before. Being able to watch it and focus on the details made it a far more emotional experience. Not gonna lie, I teared up during the opening sequence. My X-Men is back! Then again when the Xavier's met, then properly when that ending occured. Seeing them all together again... it's beautiful.

Quite simply, DOFP is a love letter to the movie franchise, and a fitting celebration of the old and new.

Focussing on the details more, it certainly improved Fassneto and Mystique's arcs. They seemed to have a lot more direction this time around. I've always said X-Men is the thinking man's comic book, and this is a great example. So much going on, and so many levels of unspoken brilliance.

Acting is also top notch. Jackman and Stewart in particular sell entire scenes with a raised eyebrow here or a nod there.

You know what, it was perfect down to the last detail. I LOVE this movie. Anyone up for a third viewing this time next week? :woot:

EDIT: And the stinger. WOW. The way that music builds is terrifying. Apocalypse is rising!

I was wondering if you'll ever see the film, DM. Nice to know you liked it.

Storm was rocking that white suit, and I thought Elder Beast looked good too (I don't know what people are going on about with regards to his look).

I don't get the Beast complaints either. I guess they were expecting his hair from X3. The hair style they went with was more like his hair from the 90's cartoon and comics(looks at your Avatar).

I don't get the Beast complaints either. I guess they were expecting his hair from X3. The hair style they went with was more like his hair from the 90's cartoon and comics(looks at your Avatar).

I thought Grammer Beast looked a bit off. On a repeat viewing, it's the eyes. They don't look right, they look a little sunk. Obviously it was a rushed job so is forgivable, but I thought he'd look like X3 Beast

Saw the movie for the 3rd time tonight. Our show was sold out, which was pretty cool for a Thursday night. The downside was that someone decided to bring their 4-year-old, who wouldn't shut up for the entire movie.

But the funniest part of that was at the end, when the Sentinels are attacking the future X-Men. Just as Kitty, Xavier, and Logan disappear from the temple, in that silent few seconds, the kid yelled "MOMMY!!!!"

The kid was SO annoying, but omg, she could not have timed that one better. Everyone in the theater was laughing. :funny:

Bratty kids aside....the movie is still amazing the third time. :up:

Hey danoyse, give it a rating too!

Thread manager killed the poll. :argh:

Saw the movie for the 3rd time tonight. Our show was sold out, which was pretty cool for a Thursday night. The downside was that someone decided to bring their 4-year-old, who wouldn't shut up for the entire movie.

But the funniest part of that was at the end, when the Sentinels are attacking the future X-Men. Just as Kitty, Xavier, and Logan disappear from the temple, in that silent few seconds, the kid yelled "MOMMY!!!!"

The kid was SO annoying, but omg, she could not have timed that one better. Everyone in the theater was laughing. :funny:

Bratty kids aside....the movie is still amazing the third time. :up:

My best reaction for that moment so far was a loud "YUS!"

We had a good crowd tonight. A lot of them got the "You know, my mom knew a guy who could do that..." line and it got a big laugh. They actually applauded Quicksilver at the end of the Time in A Bottle scene. :up:

Words cannot express how much I loved that scene.

Quicksilver truly was the stand out of the movie…who saw that coming? Lol.

I unfortunately had a young kid next to me too. During that same scene danoyse mentioned he said "what happened?!?"Everyone laughed.

Also how many of us was like this during the Sentinel scenes? I know I was. :csad::o

Agreed there was no need to step on Iceman's head after snapping it off, harsh.:oldrazz:

Words cannot express how much I loved that scene.

Quicksilver truly was the stand out of the movie…who saw that coming? Lol.

I did lol. I knew he would just surprise everyone.

7/10

I just saw it and it was almost as good as the hype made it out to be. Almost. Decently handled cast and pacing, making the most of the main crew.

Story was good enough too, didn't expect the whole [BLACKOUT]Mystique being the cause of the war[/BLACKOUT] thing coming! Nice twist.

And the scene where Magneto [BLACKOUT]puts those steel rods into Wolvie was brutal and reminded me of an inverted version of when Magneto pulls the adamantium out of his body. I'm pretty sure they were referencing that.[/BLACKOUT]

All the scenes set in the future were well done and the deaths of the characters were brutal. Just what I was hoping to see.

I have only one serious gripe with this film which is WHY the hell didn't they have a scene with Wolverine (with or without Colossus) fighting a Sentinel and ripping it to shreds in the future? Such HUGE potential for a great scene lost there. I've been waiting for a scene like that ever since seeing that half assed training simulator sequence in X3.
All they needed to do was show Wolvie and the professor being attacked before they were on the X-plane right at the beginning.

This movie should have been atleast 20 minutes longer. I mean they had such a huge cast and 2 hours of runtime wasn't enough. Even MOS was longer.

That's why I have a smaller gripe which is that they didn't really show us too much of the future. One shot of the city and then just fight scenes with the mutants and sentinels. This is what I was afraid of after seeing the trailers. They basically gave out all the future scenes in the marketing, baiting us to think there was going to be more, but there wasn't.

Trask's character was underused. Played by such a good actor and they didn't even have a scene with him at the end. Instead they chose to give Nixon more screentime. Seriously?

Don't get me wrong, I liked the film and thought it was a great sequel to First Class. The ending was perfect, the dialogues and a lot of stuff was good. But they lost so much potential that was there to make a truly large scale and impactful film. I don't mean action scenes, I mean that there needed to be more depth the the future scenes and the world building in general to really make us care about the gravity of the situation at hand.

Looks like we're not going to see it anytime soon since [BLACKOUT]the sentinels aren't coming back.[/BLACKOUT]. I hope I'm wrong though.

Anyway, good movie, but not as great as it could be.

I think that it was much more a case of "he's just making a cameo, so it's pointless to waste all of this time, effort, and money to make him look as good as he was in X3." It takes hours to put that makeup/prosthetics on and it made sense in X3 because he had a pretty big role in that movie. Here, he's in the movie for like ten seconds, so they just needed him to look reasonably convincing in that one quick shot.

I think that it was much more a case of "he's just making a cameo, so it's pointless to waste all of this time, effort, and money to make him look as good as he was in X3." It takes hours to put that makeup/prosthetics on and it made sense in X3 because he had a pretty big role in that movie. Here, he's in the movie for like ten seconds, so they just needed him to look reasonably convincing in that one quick shot.

Plus its like 20 years after X3 so he wouldn't look exactly the same anyway.

Beast looked dreadful in that cameo, it got laughs in the audience, I remember before I see the movie someone said he looked the same as in X3 so I was expecting him to look like that... Then when he appeared he just looked like a blue face covered in a little bit of hair

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"