Superman Returns Official Superman Returns Discussion

What ever one can say about SR, Routh always comes across as a good guy. Sure, he could be a big Hollywood phoney, but if he is, he is hiding it well. I liked him as Supes. I wish him success in future enterprises.

I can never understand why Star Wars gets a pass for the same thing Superman Returns did. Which is still a great movie that holds up.

I can never understand why Star Wars gets a pass for the same thing Superman Returns did. Which is still a great movie that holds up.

I think the main reason is that Singer took some elements from Donner, he needed to follow it more, Singer mixed aspects of Donner's Superman and some of his own take into it.

For example a bright color palette and more faithful suit (with modern materials) and a more upbeat, heroic Superman would have been easily received.

Adapting half heartedly was the problem, either you go all the way or do a complete new origin with a new take on the character, the "vague sequel" with same but different take resulted in luke-warm response.

I just watched this for the first time since seeing it in theaters and I have a confession to make.

I like this movie.

I do, too. Absolutely flawed, but I've always really liked it.

It was not so good as I expected and could not find the originality in the superhero!!

Superman Returns premiered in Los Angeles 10 years ago today.

zz0322a.jpg

premieremag-febcover.jpg

ew-magazine-872.jpg

ew-brandon-routh-2-17-11.jpg

Some photos from SR

superman_returns_2006_64_p_2016dd.jpg

13414129_1767849076793661_600430133_n_jpg_ig_cac.jpg

Last edited:
i always liked Routh as Superman. Hated his suit to the gut. too spandex with a too tiny discoloured s on top, and those trunks just look weird, especially due to the s beltbuckle.

should've padded him a bit to get more profound muscle toning, and a whopping better suit.

then again, the story itself was really bad. I dont know why people liked the spacey as luthor btw, i like spacey but i think the luthor role was just bad and frankly too made. the kryptonite water thing wasnt too bad an idea imho, it lacked execution from a story point.

i also didnt dislike rouths acting, and there were some great scenes imho. the airplane scene, the rooftop gunshots to the chest and eye scene, the discovery of supes' son...

yet, the overall story and portrayal was weak, but it was from all aspects to be honest.

as mentioned before, it just looks more like too much of a try to re-do the original superman movie, and frankly trying way too hard and sticking way too much to the elements that worked for that movie - back then.

i know a lot disliked Man of Steel, me personally really liked it and to be honest, the story imho was one of the strongest ones. Had Routh been the one in the MoS movie, i think it would have been great too, again just emphasising on that it think Routh gets too much discredit for the SR movie.

Cavill offcourse has his beefed up bulk speaking for him , and i really like we have a powerfull supes finally, though i feel and it seems to me like superman in Man of Steel looked bigger and stronger than BvS version.

Superman with huge killer manbreasts 'borrowing' shirts from a clothing line is iconic in how strong of a supes we finally have. It does set the tone now for 'future' supes.

supergirl's superman looks like a wimp after having cavill as the new benchmark.

I rewatched this after a couple of years and I like it more than ever before for some reason. I didn't have much of a problem with the overall story but this really should have been an original film than a vague yet obvious sequel to the originals!

I actually like some parts more than Man of Steel (my overall favorite superman film)and BvS but yeah the script needed some tweaking and a lot more action would have been nice like Superman fighting off robots or something.

Also a fan of Superman Returns. Was really hyped when I saw it in the theatre. Shame it didn't try to be more it's own movie, rather than just a re-sequel-boot for Superman 2. Also Routh just wasn't given enough of his own dialogue. It's hard to judge him as Superman when most of his lines were lifted from previous movies.

Still, I wish they had continued with it, as I would have loved to see how they would have handled the truth of their son.

My favorite scenes were the plane sequence and when Jason threw the piano at the Bulldog dude.

The plane sequence is amazing, it's probably still my favourite scene from any film I've seen on the big screen. I felt that sense of awe in that moment that I hadn't felt since I wss a kid watching the Christopher Reeve movies.

Still love this movie personally, will always have a special place in my heart as it got me reading Superman comics.

I was never impressed with the plane sequence. The parts of the movie that stand out for me is flying with Lois (the music was breath taking) and Lois pulling Superman out of the ocean. I loved that for the first time she had to save him.

I was never impressed with the plane sequence. The parts of the movie that stand out for me is flying with Lois (the music was breath taking) and Lois pulling Superman out of the ocean. I loved that for the first time she had to save him.

I liked those moments too, but the plane scene was something else. The scene that I love the most though is Superman flying above the clouds to recharge in the sun after almost dying. I do love him lifting New Krypton just after also.

Although we got an abysmal shirt rip, we did get what's my favourite movie Clark Kent to Superman change with the elevator scene,

superman-returns-movie-screencaps.com-11711.jpg

superman-returns-movie-screencaps.com-11716.jpg

superman-returns-movie-screencaps.com-11718.jpg

superman-returns-movie-screencaps.com-11725.jpg

I really do enjoy the saving Metropolis scene after this but it feels a little short which is a problem I think Bryan Singer has with action scenes.

Hey in that last image it looks like Superman broke the sound barrier?!

yellowsun.jpg

This scene was really very well done, one of my favourites.

supermanreturns.0.gif

Also, this was a great scene, only thing that bothered me was that Singer had really darkened up all scenes in this movie.

yellowsun.jpg

This scene was really very well done, one of my favourites.

supermanreturns.0.gif

Also, this was a great scene, only thing that bothered me was that Singer had really darkened up all scenes in this movie.

Love this moments.

What makes me laugh about the part where he saves the falling guy is the guy raises his fist as Superman drops him off. Almost like he's angry at him for saving him haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"