Superman Returns Superman Returns Prequel comics question?

batman strikes

Civilian
Reaction score
I hate to bring up an old discussion but after watching Superman Returns again the other day I was wondering how Superman II really fits in continuity with Singer's film. My question is did the prequel comics help with this confusion?

There where prequel comics?

As I understood it, it was basically "Superman 1 and 2 happened, Superman left for 5 years, Superman Returns happens instead of the movies 3 and 4" or some such.

*Shrug*

Truth be told, SR is way better than Superman 3 and 4. 3 barely even had Superman in it!

Yeah it was 4 issues and supposedly they helped answer some questions on what things in Superman and Superman II were consider in continuity with Superman Returns. The first one was the retelling of the origin from Donner's movie with some new details. The second was about Martha Kent on the farm when Clark left earth. The third issue is the one I’m most interested in because that tells about Lex Luthor's time in prison and him meeting Kitty and Gertrude Vanderworth. The fourth is about Lois Lane and her meeting Richard White and her writing "Why the World doesn't Need Superman." Of course there are a lot more details than that and was hoping someone could fill me on what they are.

Anyways I thought the same way you did with the continuity being Superman, Superman II and Superman Returns. Now after watching SR again I’m thinking SII didn't happen or at least any version we have seen. There are too many details that don't match up to be considered part of Singer's story.

Last edited:
The only prequel comic that doesn't fit in with the movie is Lois Lane's comic the others do fit in with the movie. As for Superman II and it's place Singer based his movie off of the first two Donner films and so if you look at Donner's Superman II in the end of his movie it is like everything never happened at all. Which is why (and this is only my opinion) it may seem like Superman II never happened. But the comics do fit into place especially the Lex and Ma Kent ones. They really help explain Lex motives in the movie and Ma Kent shows why he left and his last talk with her before leaving.

Thanks for the info. I'm surprised Singer still used the turning back time sequence in his continuity. I figured that Singer's Superman didn't have that power since it was a vague history and all. Plus what would stop him from changing time if things didn't go his way if they had other movies.

It's a common misunderstanding. Superman didn't turn back time, he went back in time himself. The turning globe is simply taken from his point of view. The reversed footage is also merely shown to clarify his actions - something Jor-El forbade him to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"