Superman Returns Official Superman Returns Discussion

yellowsun.jpg

This scene was really very well done, one of my favourites.

One of my favourite Superman scenes ever, the music and imagery is just perfect.

Holy cow! I want that one, the score for this film was something else.

Posted back in 12/29/2013 -

I got this as a gift for Christmas... although I did sadly miss out on a signed copy.

What an absolute treasure this score is. It has always been one of my favorites and to have a complete version of it is amazing.

I somehow don't think history will be kind to Superman Returns, but at least we can say the score was a downright triumph. :hrt:

SR Recording session

[YT]R3MkN2Eh8MY[/YT]

Last edited:
This was on TV yesterday in the UK. Still hold up well IMO. That plane rescue...

I still like it but it sure as hell has its problems. I am actually working on writing something about this in comparison with Supergirl's/Tyler Hoechlin's Superman. As they're both meant to be established Supermans in their respective worlds.

It's on TV this Saturday, I'll probably watch a decent amount of it. But I'm looking forward to busting out my KrypTin and doing it properly soon.

Superman Returns, second viewing tonight since its initial release in 2006...

YES. Yes, yes, yes, yes!!! I haven't had a grin on my face like post-final scene in a film since watching the original Superman for the first time back in March, I think it was. This movie is so much better than I remember. Sure at times it feels slow, but man, Bryan Singer knew Superman *infinitely* better than Zack Snyder could ever even hope to. I will GLADLY choose Superman Returns over Man of Steel any day of the week. Brandon Routh isn't Christopher Reeve, but he's far more charismatic and true to the character of Superman than Henry Cavill is on his best day. Such a shame SR never received a sequel.

Singer knows how to do a send up to Donner that's way too focused on Lois. That's about it.

It worked better than the headache inducing destruction fest that Snyder came up with.

That's a matter of opinion. personally I haven't gotten what I want out of either.

Anyone know the song at the 1:25 mark of this trailer? You have know idea how long it's been driving me nuts for. Thanks!

EDIT: Got it. Groove Addicts - They've Broken Through.

Last edited:
I forgot how much I loved that trailer, infact the teaser and the other trailer with the John Willian's theme were both fantastic too. If only Singer had delivered the film the trailers promised. I honestly think doing a quasi sequel or a film in the Donnerverse was not the problem.

I've often said that while I like Superman Returns it wasn't the Superman film I wanted back in 2006 (or ever if I'm honest). Now I've seen people put the blame on it been a quasi sequel to the Richard Donner Superman movie and its sequel Superman II (part in which was directed by Donner as we know. But I don't buy into that, for me there were two big things wrong with the film the script and the director.

Firstly on the director, he seemed a great choice back in the day. He's established the X-Men Universe over at Fox which is still going strong today. But even looking at those first two X-Men films you can see the issues with Singer as a director. For me the issues come down to him not been able to successfully build a film to a big climax, a lack of action and pacing. Singer's films are always slow paced and never seem to go anywhere. It's such a shame because the guy is talented but he causes his own problems.

Which leads me onto the script, the problems with the script were many. Poorly recycled plot that had been done better before. poorly written characters, Lois was extremely unlikable. Then you add him repeating actual dialogue from Superman the Movie (there's throwback and then there's pilfering). Singer and the writers are clear fans of the Donner film but they clearly don't understand that film. While Lois was in love with Superman she wasn't dismissive to Clark. She was his friend and tried to help him. The two were partners too, in SR they were like two people that happened to work in the same place. Lastly, the kid why was Singer so intent on doing this? It adds nothing to the story apart from a twist that everyone saw coming a mile off. I actually think this is the big reason it didn't get a sequel. Superman couldn't break up a family therefore he could never get with Lois. Which should always be an option at least.

Superman Returns will forever be a missed opportunity unfortunately.

Last edited:
Rewatching for the first time in a decade and still can't believe WB thought it was smart to reintroduce the modern audience to Superman by doing a glorified sequel to the Donner films

You have to go back to 2006. At the time, fans were very excited by that prospect especially after the J.J. Abrams script from a few years before that leaked where Krypton didn't blow up and Lex was a robot.

Also, Bryan Singer and his two writers were coming off one of the best comic book films at that time; X2.

The film also received great reviews at the time. It might be easier to see in hindsight, but not 15 years ago.

I'm still waiting for Tarantino's 20 page essay about his love for the film he promised a decade ago.

You have to go back to 2006. At the time, fans were very excited by that prospect especially after the J.J. Abrams script from a few years before that leaked where Krypton didn't blow up and Lex was a robot.

Also, Bryan Singer and his two writers were coming off one of the best comic book films at that time; X2.

The film also received great reviews at the time. It might be easier to see in hindsight, but not 15 years ago.

I'm still waiting for Tarantino's 20 page essay about his love for the film he promised a decade ago.

I thought it was stupid to do back then to do as well. WB is the same network that was like "this just continue from this point 30 years later but....maybe we need to cancel Smallville first in order to do so" Thankfully they werent allowed to cancel it but just so many stupid decisions back then. Some things never change.

The one good thing that came out SR was that plane sequence. I still go back and watch that scene every now and then. Oh and actually that opening title scene with the classic theme. Also, with the material he was given, Brandon Routh did a pretty decent job. It was the terrible script that was at fault.

They should have just called it what it was, a reboot of the Donner verse. It was like a greatest hits in one movie - recycled plot points, script and imagery - it was too much of a homage without actually doing anything new. I must have spent a year or more each night as I fell asleep reimagining a sequel or how I would have done it.

The story - start it with Clark arriving in the city, working in construction, trying to find his feet - at the same time he is applying and waiting for responses from the job applications for the city's newspapers. Fresh from university where he kept himself to himself and worked on the farm where he could for his parents. too busy to really socialize, but smallville was a small community and it had its perks. Clark was an angel to them. They knew he was different but he was their different.

Lois is on the shuttle, disaster strikes over the wet, gloomy skies of metropolis - clark over hearing the news report looks up, zooms in and see's action must be taken.. he throws off his hives vest, hard hat and tools and leaps into the air. He scoops up the plane and directs it down, as the rain lashes his body, his wet hair slicked back, with a spit curl hanging over his right eye - Lois has seen smallville's saviour and she is smitten as they embrace at the door.
Eye witness accounts are amazing, footage was limited by a man was see seen propping up the plane as he landed it. Artists rendition of this superman go viral. It's the classic superman look. minus the suit.
Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 11.13.51 AM.png
A few days later, the city, world is still buzzed about this super man - they tie in with other reports of this mysterious man in Africa, saving a drought stricken village with water, rescuing stranded hikers in the alps, a cat from a tree for a little girl.

Clark gets a call back from the DP he has a second interview - what if Lois sees him? He has an idea he shares with his parents, he wears thick glasses, has his hair loose and natural and keeps it low key. He doesn't actually see Lois when there, luckily, but when told he has the job and he finds out where his desk is, opposite lois's, he ponders if it's smart - but would Lois really remember it and also, would she ever see him again... well, little did he know what Lois had in store.

The film follows clark, Lois and jimmy in the office as clark continues to work odd jobs in construction - turns out he is investigating leads of corruption in lexcorp.

meanwhile, lex himself is after the superman.

The final third has a scene where lex himself is on a military plane, along with key personnel, officials, judges, reporters - turns out they are all key witnesses he wants dead in a sabotaged plane crash... how can superman save them, when superman is on the plane?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"