Official Swamp Thing Thread

So, did anybody else pick up issue #1 yet?

Any thoughts? Comments?

:confused:

I'm completely new to Swamp Thing and I picked the issue up soley due to the fact that it has Andy Diggle's name on the front.

I'm a huge Losers fan and so when I heard that he was writing Swamp Thing, I was definately up for giving the book a go. After issue #1.... I'm really glad I did. I'm looking forward to reading this series.

Originally posted by The Hobgoblin
I'm completely new to Swamp Thing and I picked the issue up soley due to the fact that it has Andy Diggle's name on the front.

I'm a huge Losers fan and so when I heard that he was writing Swamp Thing, I was definately up for giving the book a go. After issue #1.... I'm really glad I did. I'm looking forward to reading this series.

Cool.... if you're wanting to learn a bit more about the character, there's a decent bio on page 2 of this thread.

:)

One thing I liked about Andy Diggle's writing in Swamp Thing: his characterization of John Constantine. Maybe he could write a few issues of Hellblazer after Mike Carey is finished his run :)

Originally posted by Themanofbat
So, did anybody else pick up issue #1 yet?

Any thoughts? Comments?

:confused:
I bought it yesterday but I haven't read it yet. :(

Well I went to the comic store yesterday and picked up Vol 2 and 3 of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing. I was just gonna pick up one trade but I though "screw it" and bought two of em. Thank God I did.... this stuff is just genius.

And now I'm gonna have to start collecting Hellblazer aren't I? I honestly never saw what Swamp Thing had going for iteself. But the character is fast becoming one of my favorites. Those stories really do hold their own. They're like 20+ years old now??! And they are still amazing.

Diggle's 2nd issue is out next week.... can't wait for that one.

If you're interested in picking up Hellblazer, I have a listing of which order the TPBs go in :)

Originally posted by TheCorpulent1
I bought it yesterday but I haven't read it yet. :(
Heh, I never came back to say what I thought. Suffice to say, I'll be collecting this series from now on and I'll be picking up Moore's trades soon. I'll probably also get into Hellblazer, but I'll need another few months to get around to that.

While their is a Book One for HellBlazer, I STRONGLY recommend that everyone interested in reading a HellBlazer TPB should pick up "Dangerous Habits" for their first one.

It was Garth Ennis' first six issue storyline on that title, and John Constantine dvelops cancer from all of his smoking.

'Nuff said...... :)

It's one of the BEST stories that I've ever had the pleasure to read.

:up: :up: :up:

You can try. But really, the last issue of the TPB ends in a cliffhanger for an issue that hasn't even been reprinted yet. However, I read that DC is really interested in reprinting some more Jamie Delano issues, but it probably won't be until way later on in the year.

I would actually stick with Dangerous Habits. You really don't have to read much of the previous 40 issues to understand what's going on, plus it's probably one of the best Hellblazer stories. like tmob said. :)

Dangerous Habbits it is then. Thanks for the heads up about the cliff hanger. That really sucks.

There are a lot of websites dedicated to Swamp Thing. You should do a Google search.

The basics are that Alec Holland, a scientist working on a chemical that would stimulate plant growth, was killed in an explosion. Bathed in his own chemical, his body was thrown into the swamp where his consciousness was transferred into a humanoid mass of vegitation. This shambling swamp monster is the Swamp Thing. Though it initially thought it was Alec Holland, the Swamp Thing eventually learned that it was actually a plant elemental, in tune with the Green, the aura, I guess you could call it, of all plant life. He had a daughter named Tefe with Holland's wife, and Tefe inherited her father's elemental control, only, being human and not a plant, she was a flesh elemental. She was sent off to learn to control her powers and the Swamp Thing returned to the swamp. That about gets you up to this current series.

Oh yeah, but the thing is Swamp Thing no longer has Alec Hollands consiousness and so is very content in ridding the world of all thing fleshy and making the Earth completely of the green. Major problem that his in his way is Tefe. Swamp Thing needs to remove Tefe in order to achieve its goal.

There's gonna be a decent fight I reckon..... Green vs Red. Oooooh.

Anyone picked up issue #2 yet? I have to wait until tomorrow, but I can't see any reviews of it anywhere....

I'm going to get it today after my stupid class and work are over. Stupid class and work. :mad:

Read it last night, and it was a good one. I don't really want to spoil anything, so I'll just say the ending left off for what looks like a killer 3rd issue. :)

Good stuff. Can't wait to get my hands on it. I need to get the last 3 Alan Moore trades too. Those things are amazing!

Well it was certainly interesting to see
Sargon
back. Might we see the return of another old Swamp Thing villain soon? ;)

I just got mine today.... I'll probably read it tonight.

Originally posted by Themanofbat
I just got mine today.... I'll probably read it tonight.

Yep.... I read it tonight. Good stuff so far....

I love the scene with Constantine and the cops... :D :D :D

I'm bumping this thread out of my excitement to read swamp thing!!! I'm going buy Swamp Thing Genesis, then I'm going have to track down issues 11-20, and then I'm going buy all the Alan Moore TPBs! And keep on reading till I hit the current series. Swamp Thing seems bad ash:)

DArk Genesis.... Not that great, I'm halfway through and I have to say it's quite mediocre, and I was orignally going try to track down issues 11-20 but I'm just going skip to Alan Moore stuff:o It's not really bad but I was expecting more, since some of the stories are kind of boring, since the writer try to make swamp thing this big deep literary figure, the man who no longer man blah blah:o Bring on the Moore! I'm only halfway through the dark genesis so I'll post more opinions when I'm done

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"