Official Thread for Zemeckis' A Christmas Carol

BeserkerHilf

Imminently Imminent
Reaction score
New Christmas Carol Cast Members
Source: Chuck
December 2, 2007

Scooper 'Chuck' tells us more stars have joined Robert Zemeckis' (Beowulf) next performance capture/Disney digital 3-D film, A Christmas Carol, toplining Jim Carrey as Ebenezer Scrooge, the Ghost of Christmas Past, the Ghost of Christmas Present and the Ghost of Christmas Future:

Robert Zemeckis revealed in a podcast on the official Beowulf site that Bob Hoskins, Colin Firth and Gary Oldman have joined Jim Carrey in A Christmas Carol. In her own podcast, Robin Wright Penn announced she was also in A Christmas Carol. There was no mention of [the rumored] Tom Hanks, Christopher Lloyd or Michael J. Fox, although that does not mean they will not be in the film.

Disney is targeting a November 6, 2009 release date for the pic, an adaptation of the Charles Dickens tale.

I know there's been news of this before but i don't remember a thread for it, so here goes.

Beowulf was a giant step up from the polar express in terms of the mo-cap that was used, hopefully Zemeckis nails it this time.

and that would be pretty wicked if there were some kind of another BTTF reunion here like crispin glover playing grendel.

So they're basically pulling a Tom Hanks and making Carrey play all the main parts...it would have been a little better if he just played Scrooge and had some better character actors play the ghosts, but whatever. The only ghost I could see him playing is the Christmas Past one, as that was usually the most light-hearted of them all in most incarnations.

I'm assuming that while Carrey will be performing mocap for all of those characters, the only one he'll actually be providing the voice of will be Scrooge. I mean, isn't the ghost of Christmas Past supposed to be a child?

Either way, I can't see this being better than the Muppet Christmas Carol.

you mean jim carrey playing the same role he did in lemony snickets?

lol

sounds awesome!

I do want to see the Ghost of Christmas Future, that mother****er basically looks like the grim reaper.

but jim carrey will play him so i think they're going the comedic route

I'm assuming that while Carrey will be performing mocap for all of those characters, the only one he'll actually be providing the voice of will be Scrooge. I mean, isn't the ghost of Christmas Past supposed to be a child?

Tom Hanks provided voices for 6 different characters in Polar Express INCLUDING the main boy. they were able to manipulate his voice to sound like a kid. i'd imagine they'll be doing the same for Scrooge.

Seriously, Christopher Lloyd should have been cast as Scrooge.

No, Tom Hanks only did the voices for the Conductor, the Hobo, and Santa Claus. Daryl Sabara did the boy's voice.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338348/fullcredits#cast

sorry...just did more research, Daryl Sabara DID do the boy's voice with Hanks doing the boy's motion capture. however, they used Nona Gaye (age 33) for the hero GIRL's voice and Eddie Deezen (age 49) for know-it-all's voice...so they were still able to utilize voice manipulation.

sorry...just did more research, Daryl Sabara DID do the boy's voice with Hanks doing the boy's motion capture. however, they used Nona Gaye (age 33) for the hero GIRL's voice and Eddie Deezen (age 49) for know-it-all's voice...so they were still able to utilize voice manipulation.

I don't think any voice manipulation used for theirs.

And people doubted me when I said Zemeckis does not know how to use CG correctly. :o

just read something over on dark horizons that oldman might play jacob marley and cary elwes is going to be jim carrey's stand-in (?)

oh for christ's sake this movie has been done to death.
Hey Hollywood, here is a thought. HIRE SOME ****ING WRITERS AND COME UP WITH NEW ****!!!!!!!

yea, welcome to two years ago, now all of us just accept in a passing glance.

We keep buying it... they keep making it. Greed wins.

Is Zemeckis ever going to direct live action again?!?!?!?

What's his fascination with seeing how close he can capture reality? I mean sure it's impressive, but at the end of the day, I'd like to see real actors. Not 'pretty real looking' with dead eyes. :p

why isnt it being released at like the beginning of december instead of nov?

He's come a long (And not good) way from Back to the Future. :csad:

why isnt it being released at like the beginning of december instead of nov?
There's some unwritten rule that Christmas movies have to be released in November (The Grinch, The Santa Clause movies, Elf, Fred Claus, Bad Santa, etc.)

He's come a long (And not good) way from Back to the Future. :csad:
Hey, "Forrest Gump" was good.

^^^

I also loved Forrest Gump. But we haven't seen any Zemeckis' film done without motion-capture use since Cast Away.

Yes, because Carrey has never done drama.

WTF are you saying?!? Did you forget The Truman Show? Man On The Moon? Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind? Or even such failures as The Majestic and Number 23?

WTF are you saying?!? Did you forget The Truman Show? Man On The Moon? Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind? Or even such failures as The Majestic and Number 23?

I was being sarcastic. :dry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"