Oldboy

A South Korean film by the name of Oldboy, read it's going to get a remake in english.

Here's the Plot Summary, sounds interesting:

A man is inexplicably kidnapped and imprisoned for 15 years and his wife is brutally murdered. On his release, he is given a wallet full of money and a mobile phone. A stranger calls and asks him to try and figure out why he was imprisoned. A girl appears and promises to help him solve the enigma and seek vengeance for his cruel fate. As the search progresses, the man finally comes face to face with his kidnapper, who proposes a game: if the man discovers the reason for his imprisonment, his kidnapper will kill himself. If not, then the girl will be killed - but he has only five days to unravel the mystery.

here are links to the trailers
Hi-Res

Med-Res

Lo-Res
Please explain to me how this deserves a 'thumbs up'.

THAT is good news. I'm tired of American studios sucking on the teat of the Asian filmmakers who are being innovative and creative. All they wind up doing is watering things down, marginalizing previously great films, and dumbing them down since so many of them seem to think American audiences are idiots. :down

jag

I just heard they're doing an American remake of "The Host"!
Pathetic.
It's gonna come out here, and then a few months later, same movie, only strained and sifted through Dorito-Munching, Pepsi-Swigging focus groups.
Make your OWN f***ing movies! :o

After having seen the Korean version of "The Host", I can honestly say that an American filmmaker cannot possibly improve on that film and will almost certainly f**k it up. Same goes for "Oldboy". Asian cinema has a willingness to go to some very bitter endings in their storytelling that most American directors and producers are afraid of. They've still got it in their heads that American audiences require a happytouchyfeelgoodendingwithcandysprinklesandchocolate frosting. Ugh. :down

jag

Oh yeah, I haven't seen it, but I read it has an Un-American ending.
What is so bad about the ending?
I don't care about "spoiling" movies as it doesn't "spoil" it for me.

Oh yeah, I haven't seen it, but I read it has an Un-American ending.
What is so bad about the ending?
I don't care about "spoiling" movies as it doesn't "spoil" it for me.

"The Host" has a fairly bittersweet ending to it, actually. They build up some very key characters and then kill them off one by one, even the one you especially did not want to die. But, they also attach this sense of new hope and bonding together of people through horrible circumstance as well, thus the sweet part. I really liked the ending, myself.

jag

"The Host" has a fairly bittersweet ending to it, actually. They build up some very key characters and then kill them off one by one, even the one you especially did not want to die. But, they also attach this sense of new hope and bonding together of people through horrible circumstance as well, thus the sweet part. I really liked the ending, myself.

jag

Is the Host an R-rated movie ? b/c Oldboy shouldn't need to alter it's ending or tone if it gets an R

I also read that the Host was really funny and the director does a good job keeping the balance between humour and danger without slipping to far into either

Is the Host an R-rated movie ? b/c Oldboy shouldn't need to alter it's ending or tone if it gets an R

I also read that the Host was really funny and the director does a good job keeping the balance between humour and danger without slipping to far into either

Yeah, "The Host" actually is funny, which I wasn't expecting. The fact that it has so much humor happening in it actually makes the horrible, dangerous things that happen that much more shocking. I'd say it was probably PG or PG-13, though, which really didn't take away from the film in any way at all, to be honest. "Oldboy" needs to be a hard "R" or even an "NC-17" if it's going to be in American theaters. The graphic brutality is a big part of what defines that film.

jag

Yeah, "The Host" actually is funny, which I wasn't expecting. The fact that it has so much humor happening in it actually makes the horrible, dangerous things that happen that much more shocking. I'd say it was probably PG or PG-13, though, which really didn't take away from the film in any way at all, to be honest. "Oldboy" needs to be a hard "R" or even an "NC-17" if it's going to be in American theaters. The graphic brutality is a big part of what defines that film.

jag

I will probably have to wait for DVD for The Host but it sounds good however i have to agree with the remake being a mistake even at this stage b/c if it's a PG-13 they will change it around for sure,for instance i read that the heroes were really an unlikely bunch with none of the usual stereotypes of tough guy,hot chick,old vet etc etc ...

Man of Fire made the NC-17 work so if they do Oldboy hopefully they will follow that approach

I will probably have to wait for DVD for The Host but it sounds good however i have to agree with the remake being a mistake even at this stage b/c if it's a PG-13 they will change it around for sure,for instance i read that the heroes were really an unlikely bunch with none of the usual stereotypes of tough guy,hot chick,old vet etc etc ...

Man of Fire made the NC-17 work so if they do Oldboy hopefully they will follow that approach

Really, these are films that Hollywood couldn't possibly hope to improve upon in any capacity. There's no reason to remake them at all, other than greed. Even all the asian horror stories that have become popular like "The Ring" are SO MUCH BETTER in the original films they were stolen from. Like Wil said to American filmmakers, make your OWN f**king movies! :cmad: When did our culture become so devoid of creativity even amongst our "artists"?

jag

meanin gthey're basically remaking ZINDA... it's pathetic that now Oldboy and Chan Park of the Woo is hoping to try to get profits from this English "Oldboy" remake... basically it's a copy of a copy... I have evidence as well which i'll post soon

meanin gthey're basically remaking ZINDA... it's pathetic that now Oldboy and Chan Park of the Woo is hoping to try to get profits from this English "Oldboy" remake... basically it's a copy of a copy... I have evidence as well which i'll post soon

Hmm....how can I put this to you?

I DON'T CARE!

:yay:

No offense, but EVERY movie seems to be a Bollywood ripoff to you, dude.

jag

The whole world knows that they made a Bollywood copy of Old Boy after Old Boy came out, which is a matter of historical fact, and I believe (hope) freakostation knows it as well.
He has this impossibly lame schtick of claiming falsehoods are true, repeatedly, as if it's funny...such as his "assertion" that the footage from the Indian cheese-fest where the guy makes a train move with his mind-powers is a scene from a documentary and that the man really has telekinetic powers...when in fact it was one of the cheapest effects ever, right up there with INVISIBLE aliens. :o

hmm i hope they don't **** this up cause Oldboy rules

I just saw Oldboy yesterday on On Demand. And I believe this movie shouldn't be remade. The movie is brilliant.

Last edited:
Coal Tiger, this thread is from 2 years ago.

Best damn movie ever made. Prove me wrong.

Best damn movie ever made. Prove me wrong.

I don't think Oldboy is the "best damn movie ever made", but its WAY too good for Will Smith and Steven Spielberg. This is possibly the worst remake of all time, and it hasn't even been filmed yet. :csad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"