The Dark Knight Rises Oldman Hints at Another "old comics" Villain in TDKR?

Frontier

Arkham Asylum Inmate
Reaction score
So what do you all make of this?

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b229881_dark_knight_rises_star_talks_batmans.html

He clearly knows whose already been cast, he made a comment about Hathaway and the catsuit. He clearly knows the story.

Bane isn't an "old comics" villain though, not by far. His first appearance was only in, what 1990-ish?

So if he's not talking Bane, or Catwoman...

Who fits? Who else is an "old comics" villain?

Nolan hates Penguin. I can't fathom Freeze. Joker is out.

Nolan has said no to Riddler or Two-Face, but...

Hrm...

Any guesses?

You're going to get bashed because this is "old news" that has been discussed in other threads, but IMO stuff like this deserves its own thread. Those of us that don't visit the boards quite as frequently wouldn't even know about stuff like this because they're buried in generic threads.

That whole article was so confusing, I wish they had video in case they ended up transcribing it wrong.

-I could see him referring to Bane as being from way back when, I doubt Oldman is brushed up on his whole Batman lore, so he could easily just assume it was an old villain since he doesn;t hear of him often. Though when he says "If I told you who the villain was, they'd kill me", surely he would know about the press release of Hardy? He knew about Selina as Catwoman, so wouldn't he know that Bane is now public?

If you take the quotes at face value, it sure sounds like Strange. But I think it might've just been a fluke and he was tired from all the other interviews at the junket. Was probably just spacing out at that point.

He's not talking about bane or catwoman or else he would mention them by name. Since Oldman probably isn't that brushed up on his batman lore then it really could be anyone.

its either Deadshot or Hugo Strange, my guess would be Deadshot played by JGL because JGL and MC are in negotiations so Deadshot would be hired by the LOS!!

I honestly think Oldman is just confused, maybe he thinks Bane wasnt announced and since he's lesser known he assumes he's an older character. I really hope its not a brand new villain like Black Mask or Strange.

^Strange isnt new. He pre-dates almost everyone. That's why he's such a hot topic when these references come up

I meant brand new as in a character who hasn't been announced in the movie yet.

What about DR DEATH, he appeared even before hugo strange and the joker.

Penguin? I never got into reading the comics but he was introduced pretty early on if my memory serves me. Don't know if Penguin has been ruled out by Nolan though, haven't been keeping up with the rumors around this film much recently...

Last edited:
Gary Oldman has a history of saying a lot of ******** in interviews.

Maybe bane will be old.

367771-34944-bane_super.jpg

It could be Edward Nigma but not as The Riddler. Could used as a private investigator.

I already said this in another thread and I know a lot of people disagree with me about this, but given that Catwoman wasn't mentioned by name until later in the interview after the interviewer brought up both Anne Hathaway and Catwoman I still believe he's referring to Catwoman. He may not have realized that Catwoman being in the film was known so he was being vague, but once the interviewer asked him point blank about Hathaway as Catwoman he realized there was no point in denying it. Not that I don't want Hugo Strange, or any of the other older villains, I just think people are reading too much into what Oldman said. He said there would be a villain from way back, other than Hugo Strange and a few one-off villains they don't get much older than Catwoman.

It's possible, I suppose. But the article suggests that this is the main villain ("Batman's nemesis").

Catwoman as the main villain? Above Bane? I don't see it.

Of course, the interviewer clearly knew that Catwoman and Bane had been announced, so I have no idea why he thinks Batman's nemesis is still a mystery. Wouldn't common sense dictate that one of those two had to be the main villain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"