Online persona

Nine times outta ten, the personas online are almost completely different from the users' real personas.

And almost all of those nine times, the person will say, 'I'm exactly the same in real life as I am on the boards."

So, I refuse to believe most, if not all, of the users. Besides, you can't really rely on yourself to decide that matter- we see ourselves differently than others see us.

Exactly. Nail. On. Head. I mean think about how different you can make yourself alone in your room...then go out in real life and try to replicate that. Doesn't work that way.

No matter what people think - you aren't a reliable judge of your own character. Not ever.

I think it's more of a spectrum, rather than a hard and fast blanket rule, personally. You'll have some people who are more self-aware than others about their own persona both online as well as how that translates (or doesn't) to the 'net. And, you'll also have those folks who are oblivious and those who are somewhere inbetween in various degrees. Throw in the people who strive to be someone else on the 'net than they are in real life purposefully, and you start seeing a spread across a continuum of people who are nothing like they are in real life when they are on the 'net and people who are closer to who they are in real life when they are online. Being online almost always takes away at least some of the visual and non-verbal cues that we use in real life to interpret one another and communicate, and that invariably changes how we communicate to a certain extent (especially in text-mediated communication based places like message boards; not so much in Skype or video conferencing situations). Anonymity can also play a role in how some people act as they feel a bit more free and uninhibited than they do in real life. But, to suggest that ALL people across the board suddenly become different from their core being or how they interact with others just because of those things is a bit short-sighted. There are certainly people who do just that, without a doubt. But, like I said, it happens on a spectrum. There's no hard and fast rule as I gather you may be trying to establish.

jag

I'm a lot less appreciative online.

I'm actually really nice and friendly to talk to in real life, I tend to use humour as a shy replacement.

I think the question should be, "Are you as confident here as you are offline?" I think that for some people, it's easier for them to 'open up' and show another side of them when they are behind the screen. Offline, they may be shy and timid. As for myself, I am the same. My personality, my beliefs, my ideals, my interests, my pet peeve, etc... they don't change when the computer is turned off.

I think it's more of a spectrum, rather than a hard and fast blanket rule, personally. You'll have some people who are more self-aware than others about their own persona both online as well as how that translates (or doesn't) to the 'net. And, you'll also have those folks who are oblivious and those who are somewhere inbetween in various degrees. Throw in the people who strive to be someone else on the 'net than they are in real life purposefully, and you start seeing a spread across a continuum of people who are nothing like they are in real life when they are on the 'net and people who are closer to who they are in real life when they are online. Being online almost always takes away at least some of the visual and non-verbal cues that we use in real life to interpret one another and communicate, and that invariably changes how we communicate to a certain extent (especially in text-mediated communication based places like message boards; not so much in Skype or video conferencing situations). Anonymity can also play a role in how some people act as they feel a bit more free and uninhibited than they do in real life. But, to suggest that ALL people across the board suddenly become different from their core being or how they interact with others just because of those things is a bit short-sighted. There are certainly people who do just that, without a doubt. But, like I said, it happens on a spectrum. There's no hard and fast rule as I gather you may be trying to establish.

jag
And the wise one hath spoken.
Good post. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Hmm. Well, I'm alot more open about some of my thoughts on here, probably a great deal more critical. In the real world I'm much more shy, friendly, and willing to compromise. Although, the few people left here who know me well know that side of me as well.

I am much nicer online then I am in person.

hmm... honesty...

1. I really am a woman (female) and was born as one too.
2. I really am a redhead, it's my natural hair colour and I've been a redhead since the day I was born. I got my red hair from my dad.
3. I really am over 20 (honest)
4. I really do like most types of music, though I prefer rock, dance & pop
5. I really do own over 3000 Marvel comic books, but haven't bought any lately.
6. I really do have a sense of mischief and fun, but I tend to be more reserved at work or around strangers
7. I'm a bit more open on the Hype with what I'm thinking than I would be face to face
8. I really do prefer an action movie and science fiction novels to romances.
9. I really do live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada (well Scarborough, but close enough, near enough, it's still part of the GTA)
10. I find it a lot easier to flirt here on the Hype than I do in real life. Not as many consequences.

I am not a black man, in fact a bada$$ mma fighter in training with spiky hair, an upside down visor, and an armband tattoo who works at Target (untill my MMA career takes off, of course)

jag

Perfectly stated. :up:

I assume its exactly the same becuase I don't go around here lying, and the stuff I say online is stuff I would say in a regular conversation. The only difference comes from how you would interpret what I write. As far as I'm concerned I'm exactly the same in real life, but then you don't read my posts in my "voice" you read them in yours.

I'm pretty random in real life. I think I'm going to get in trouble for saying inappropriate things in the workplace someday but every time I push the envelope, people just laugh and take it as what it is...a joke. But someday...I know I'll push it too far. But I'll bide my time 'til then.

To sum up...my randomness is not just an online phenomenon.

I assume its exactly the same becuase I don't go around here lying, and the stuff I say online is stuff I would say in a regular conversation. The only difference comes from how you would interpret what I write. As far as I'm concerned I'm exactly the same in real life, but then you don't read my posts in my "voice" you read them in yours.
Yeah, this is something along the lines of where I was going as well. People on here view aspects of me. Yes, like you I don't go around actively lying, yet at the same time all I do on here is post...and I'm essentially free to say what I want when I walk to. I also get to read over what I post, make corrections, and I can even reinvent or revise my entire demeanor and personality for any given thread. I'd say, in general, unless you know me outside the hype, on here posters probably know me and know my personality about as well as my barber does.

You tell your barber about your sexual conquests too?
Damn straight:o .

But seriously, my point is my barber is an acquaintance, not a true friend. A true friend could tell you something about me like how I react when I'm truly angry, what makes me happy, what makes me sad...etc.

Most people on here know a series of predictable tastes and preferences I have and very little else.

I am not a black man, in fact a bada$$ mma fighter in training with spiky hair, an upside down visor, and an armband tattoo who works at Target (untill my MMA career takes off, of course)

So you are preppy brought here from the 80's?:o

Damn straight:o .

But seriously, my point is my barber is an acquaintance, not a true friend. A true friend could tell you something about me like how I react when I'm truly angry, what makes me happy, what makes me sad...etc.

Most people on here know a series of predictable tastes and preferences I have and very little else.

I'd say that's more a result of the type of relationship you have with most people here, that of acquaintances rather than close friends, than it is a function of you not really projecting who you are in real life as an online equivalent. In that sense, most of us are probably in a similar position when it comes to the online relationships we've forged in a place like this. The majority of the people we interact with, here, are acquaintances not close friends, and they are treated as such when it comes to things such as personal information or sharing too much of ourselves. But it doesn't mean that we aren't projecting who we really are, if at least as much as a limited communication format will allow. I treat the people I work with in much the same way in a real life setting; there are just certain things about me that they don't need to know. They really aren't my friends, they are people I work with. Acquaintances. And so, the measure of what they know about me is controlled. Only to our very close friends and family members do we truly show all of who we are. And that's something that can absolutely happen in an online format as well, as there are certainly plenty of instances of people establishing very strong friendships (hell, even romantic relationships) using the internet as a starting point. It's certainly much more common today that it was even five years ago and certain to continue to become more frequent as technology continues to advance and more and more people get online.

jag

Real-life me = a jerk to mostly everyone

Online me = a jerk to mostly everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"