Online persona

Whirlysplat

Superhero
Reaction score
How near to who you say you are online are you really?

I try to 'keep it real' online for the most part :)

I think only parts of your personality show online, but the sides that do show are fairly accurate for me ;)

Some people call me "Butters" in real life o_O. That should explain enough.

Pretty much the same, the only difference is im not a bunch of letters and numbers on a screen, funny that hu?

I def make as many dick jokes in real life . . . :up:

Pretty much the same, the only difference is im not a bunch of letters and numbers on a screen, funny that hu?

heh . . . and I'd hope you're a little different in appearance than your avvy too :O

contrary to popular belief, I'm not really a baby that plays the drums, although I do play in real life and sometimes cry like a baby :o

I'm a much better looking guy in real life...

I still do have all that FairTax thing in real life too, so, yeah. I'm the same.

I have never understood this concept.
I say I love Led Zeppelin, on message boards.
Yep, it's true...in real life, I love Led Zeppelin.
The only thing that's different is that I don't make declarations about my unpopular beliefs when I'm at work, or when I'm on the street.

But that isn't "creating a persona" or being "phony", in any way.
Because, message boards are a place to express one's self, and to discuss specific topics.

On a message board, someone makes a thread, an avenue for discussion...
"Is Abortion Wrong?"
So, you enter the thread and go either way.

You don't walk to the mall, and stop a stranger and say, "Hey!, Do you think abortion is wrong?"
Because that's not the place for it, and the stranger did not knowingly enter into an arena for discussions.

The fact that you would talk about abortion here, but not with your boss, where it's totally inappropriate, doesn't mean that you're being two different people, or inventing an "online persona".
It means that there are certain times and places for certain activities.

:huh:

Then you get the insanity of people like Shadowboxing, who said that I was hiding behind a wall of "mystery".
:huh::huh::huh:

I am a guitarist, in Seattle, I'm a concierge/security dude, downtown, I despise Christianity, my brother has cerebral palsy, I like Horror movies.

All of that stuff is true. What more does he need before I'm absolved of internet hiding? My home address?, the current number of hairs under my arm?
Am I creating a "persona" if I don't "disclose" the information...that I have black underwear on right now?...and that I had some walnuts, cashews, almonds and Brazilian nuts for a snack while reading in bed last night?

I don't understand these concepts of persona.
It reminds me of Christianity debates, when you quote a damning verse, and a flailing debater instantly complains that you're only using the verse that supports your argument.

:huh:

Uh, yeah...I'm not going to quote the entire BIBLE, just...the...part that's...relevant, right now?

lol

heh . . . and I'd hope you're a little different in appearance than your avvy too :O

contrary to popular belief, I'm not really a baby that plays the drums, although I do play in real life and sometimes cry like a baby :o

:wow:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"