Overrated Comic Book Films

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose what you're saying is true sometimes, but unfortunately most of the time I get the feeling of "people shouldn't like this so much" from the word "overrated". And that irks me.

But now that I think about it, I don't feel similar way about "people shouldn't dislike this so much". I may be biased.

Ant-Man is the one that always comes to mind. It's good (barely), but Marvel missed many opportunities here. I'll always believe that it was a mistake to tell the JV Ant-Man's story before the real Ant-Man.

1) The Dark Knight Trilogy

2) Superman: The Movie

3) Spider-Man (2002)

4) The Iron Man trilogy

5) Captain America: Civil War

Around these boards?

Spider-Man 2

Iron Man 3

The Dark Knight Rises

Batman 89

Superman The Movie

Not that any of these films are bad, but I see more emotional attachment to them than legitimate film making prowess.

Ant-Man is the one that always comes to mind. It's good (barely), but Marvel missed many opportunities here. I'll always believe that it was a mistake to tell the JV Ant-Man's story before the real Ant-Man.

I really liked Ant Man because it struck a different tone. I would have liked to see Hank and Janet, but thought Rudd did a very good job. I also thought the villain was above the MCU movie norm.

Overrated.....that's a hard one for me because I'm constantly overrating movies myself. In other words, if people think a movie is decent, I tend to really like it. Of the CBMs I liked least (but still liked), the consensus seems to be that they are the weakest movies, so how can they be overrated? Oh the dilemma. It's tough being me. So, I'd say:

TDKR
IM3
MoS

Yeah if a movie got a mixed reception its tough to call it overrated
Ant-Man wasn't exactly being touted as "the best CBM of the decade" or anything like that
the reception to it was more "hey, it's not bad, better than we expected" and if someone think that's overrating the film they must reaaallly hate it
same goes somewhat for IM3 and definitely MoS.... TDKR though you are fully within your rights (and fully right) to call that one overrated lol

Yeah if a movie got a mixed reception its tough to call it overrated
Ant-Man wasn't exactly being touted as "the best CBM of the decade" or anything like that
the reception to it was more "hey, it's not bad, better than we expected" and if someone think that's overrating the film they must reaaallly hate it
same goes somewhat for IM3 and definitely MoS.... TDKR though you are fully within your rights (and fully right) to call that one overrated lol

Yeah....those were hard for me to come up with and, frankly, were ones I was personally disappointed in....sometimes it sucks being a lousy critic, but it definitely makes going to the movies more fun. :woot:

Haha. Aw. Not tryna start any fights. I like all the movies I listed. Just think they often get the highest praise for the wrong reasons.

Iron Man 3 is a Shane Black movie, I can't not love it as much as I do.
The man continues to make movies I highly enjoy. :sniff:

Iron Man 3 is very divisive. It's almost like the cult movie of MCU. I personally think it's one of Marvel's best.

Iron Man 3 is very divisive. It's almost like the cult movie of MCU. I personally think it's one of Marvel's best.

Good choice ! It's totally divisive. I loved Iron Man ( it was my favorite origin film, until Dr Strange came along and knocked it and Batman Begins off their perch).

But Iron Man 3..... absolutely hated it, I felt that they got Tony 100% wrong on every level, and don't get me started on the Mandarin (spent plenty of time arguing with people about this on this forum). Of course that's just me, plenty of folks loved it and Marvel got a billion out of it.

Not sure if "cult" film is the right description, unless people are getting together to watch it and reflect on its greatness.

If there was a Marvel "cult" film.....hmmmm not sure if there is one yet. Maybe if a bunch of folks discovered greatness in Thor the Dark World, or Incredible Hulk. The thing is, Marvel's made some films I didn't like (Iron Man 2 and 3) but otherwise their I think their stuff is too entertaining and has too much mainstream appeal to be "cult".

When I think of "cult " action films, I think "Big Trouble in Little China"

On a related note, for DC, I'd say Superman the movie, because by today's standards it's pretty damn slow, totally cheesy and Superman doesn't actually punch anyone ..... but it's still awesome on so many levels.

Sorry, just my 2 cents.

BTW- my most overrated has to be Spider-Man 2. I found it too long ( is he going to be Spider-Man, isn't he ? By the time he made up his mind I stopped caring) Also, and this drives me mildly insane, they decide to deal with a miniature sun by chucking it in a river........ because a super-heated- STEAM cloud rolling over New York City is no big deal. It would have been like Tony catching the nuke before it hits the city, and then blowing it up, as he enters the wormhole, letting all the radiation and fallout settle on the city below. On some levels its nearly as dumb as Superman flying really fast to turn back time.

BTW- my most overrated has to be Spider-Man 2. I found it too long ( is he going to be Spider-Man, isn't he ? By the time he made up his mind I stopped caring) Also, and this drives me mildly insane, they decide to deal with a miniature sun by chucking it in a river........ because a super-heated- STEAM cloud rolling over New York City is no big deal. It would have been like Tony catching the nuke before it hits the city, and then blowing it up, as he enters the wormhole, letting all the radiation and fallout settle on the city below. On some levels its nearly as dumb as Superman flying really fast to turn back time.
I know it's dumb, it's one of the reasons I think that movie is one of the most overrated films.
How come with "The power of the sun" in the palm of his hand, there was no heat generated, and the gravity was purely magnetic?

I know it's dumb, it's one of the reasons I think that movie is one of the most overrated films.
How come with "The power of the sun" in the palm of his hand, there was no heat generated, and the gravity was purely magnetic?

Who knows. Actually the rest of the film is pretty great.

That bit where Peter and MJ are talking and his Spidey sense goes off when Doc Ock chucks the car through the window - and of course the train fight scene,
are pretty impressive even now.

I just wish the film were a bit shorter and had a less ridiculous ending. Ah well.

Lol it mean power of sun to provide free energy. Not mean it is an actual sun lol. It make perfect sense.

Lol it mean power of sun to provide free energy. Not mean it is an actual sun lol. It make perfect sense.

Dude, in the movie itself it's described as a miniature sun (which is how nuclear fusion works, it gives off enormous amounts of energy, including heat).
A controlled fusion reaction, even that size would have been creating incredible amounts of energy and heat - drowning it in the river was not a good option.

It consumed everything it came into contact with (which is why Doc Ock's arms had to be heat resistant. All the metal that was drawn in by its magnetic field was disintigrated on contact -

If my science is wrong, I'm happy to stand corrected, but if I'm not wrong, then the ending doesn't make any sense at all.

Check this out http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Film/SpiderMan2

and this https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/the-physics-of-spider-man-2.33686/

and this http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/72066/drop-a-star-in-a-river

Of course, if I can accept that getting bit by a radioactive Spider gives you super-powers I guess the sun thing seems like nitpicking.

Cheers.

Last edited:
What silly nit picking. The Science in the Spider-Man movies is all fiction and scientifically unsound and pure fiction.

What silly nit picking. The Science in the Spider-Man movies is all fiction and scientifically unsound and pure fiction.

Yeah, I suppose. I'm not sure why it bugs me so much. I mean, I am willing to swallow that Spider Man can have Spider genes and lift a car but for some reason the artificial sun just goes a bit too far.

I guess it has something to do with the suspension of disbelief - which is a fragile thing. Some stories masterfully stretch what we believe, so we'll accept it - e.g. Nolan's Batman does a bunch of almost impossible (or at least impossible in the way he presents them) but because he grounds the rest of the film in a realistic world (not real but realistic) we accept it.

To me drowning a miniature sun (kind of like flying really fast around the world to turn back time) is just too stupid to maintain my disbelief - but hey, that's just me.

Yeah, I suppose. I'm not sure why it bugs me so much. I mean, I am willing to swallow that Spider Man can have Spider genes and lift a car but for some reason the artificial sun just goes a bit too far.

I guess it has something to do with the suspension of disbelief - which is a fragile thing. Some stories masterfully stretch what we believe, so we'll accept it - e.g. Nolan's Batman does a bunch of almost impossible (or at least impossible in the way he presents them) but because he grounds the rest of the film in a realistic world (not real but realistic) we accept it.

To me drowning a miniature sun (kind of like flying really fast around the world to turn back time) is just too stupid to maintain my disbelief - but hey, that's just me.
This is where I stand.

Wow. I just don't get some of the opinions here. Spider-Man 2 is a masterpiece. I feel if you were to dismiss films/tv shows based on the abuse of scientific concepts then you wouldn't be able to enjoy anything. Everything from the Dark Knight trilogy to Breaking Bad would have to be dismissed.

Wow. I just don't get some of the opinions here. Spider-Man 2 is a masterpiece. I feel if you were to dismiss films/tv shows based on the abuse of scientific concepts then you wouldn't be able to enjoy anything. Everything from the Dark Knight trilogy to Breaking Bad would have to be dismissed.

Dude, I don't mean to be disrespectful but the above suggests that you don't get the point of this thread - or the nature of opinion.

The whole point of this thread is to discuss films that are overrated - which means they are usually highly rated in the first place ( of course you could bring up Suicide Squad and say that it doesn't even deserve the poor reviews it got.... but there are plenty of threads for that).

Good news though - and this isn't sarcasm- you don't need to "get" anyone's opinion but your own. Personally, I thought Spider Man 2 had a lot of great stuff in it (for a superhero film of that time - I mean, the slow-mo spider-sense car through the window stuff was brilliant) but I don't think it's the masterpiece that many people (like yourself) do.

Personally, I think the Dark Knight is the best cbm ever made - and plenty of folks on this very thread disagree- but I don't need to get their opinions, I just need to respectfully disagree.

You don't need to get that, you just need to respect it - in the same way that I respect your opinion that Spider Man 2 is a masterpiece. I respectfully disagree, but that's just my opinion.

Happy posting to you. :)

On a different note - an overrated film, not really a cbm, "The Force Awakens."

I mean it had great effects and some decent performances, but otherwise was pretty much the same plot as "A New Hope." Sure, the specifics are different but the broad strokes are almost the same. Even Han's death felt like a bit of deja vu.

JJ Abrams can do better - he certainly did with Star Trek.

Yeah I was a little sad they played it so safe with Force Awakens

I get it, they were trying to basically prove "hey, good Star Wars movies can still be made, and Lucas doesn't need to be remotely involved" to cleanse the bad taste left in everyone's mouth by the prequels, before trying anything too 'out-there'

But still, something slightly more original would've been nice

Dude, I don't mean to be disrespectful but the above suggests that you don't get the point of this thread - or the nature of opinion.

The whole point of this thread is to discuss films that are overrated - which means they are usually highly rated in the first place ( of course you could bring up Suicide Squad and say that it doesn't even deserve the poor reviews it got.... but there are plenty of threads for that).

Good news though - and this isn't sarcasm- you don't need to "get" anyone's opinion but your own. Personally, I thought Spider Man 2 had a lot of great stuff in it (for a superhero film of that time - I mean, the slow-mo spider-sense car through the window stuff was brilliant) but I don't think it's the masterpiece that many people (like yourself) do.

Personally, I think the Dark Knight is the best cbm ever made - and plenty of folks on this very thread disagree- but I don't need to get their opinions, I just need to respectfully disagree.

You don't need to get that, you just need to respect it - in the same way that I respect your opinion that Spider Man 2 is a masterpiece. I respectfully disagree, but that's just my opinion.

Happy posting to you. :)

On a different note - an overrated film, not really a cbm, "The Force Awakens."

I mean it had great effects and some decent performances, but otherwise was pretty much the same plot as "A New Hope." Sure, the specifics are different but the broad strokes are almost the same. Even Han's death felt like a bit of deja vu.

JJ Abrams can do better - he certainly did with Star Trek.

That's a rather long and condescending way of addressing such a mild comment. I understand what the word 'overrated' means, I was merely adding to the conversation by saying that arbitrary applications of real science to the science fantasy genre as a criticism isn't an attitude I understand. After all, where does it end?

Anyhoo...I suppose my nomination for overrated CBM is The Winter Soldier. That film should lean much harder on the emotional hook to make it work in my eyes. Instead it goes full on with a misguided political conspiracy plot that works ok up until the Zola/Insight reveal which causes everything else to implode into nonsense. I also think the Crossbones 'origin' is ultimately pretty lame and unnecessary. It's a shame because the hand to hand combat is pretty great.

Unrelated, but Abrams' Trek films are...lets just say misguided at best. The Force Awakens may be somewhat derivative but it's leaps and bounds above his Trek films and it succeeds more than it fails for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"