Paramount's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
:applaud

I know right? The amount of nitpicking about this movie on the internet is probably the most annoyed I've ever been by it for anything ever.

Is it nitpicking though or legitimate complaints?

Just because some people take the attitude of "hey they're talking turtles who carez" doesn't mean that people are invested in the franchise can't cry foul at a movie which looks to be treating the source with little faithfulness or care.

If this was any big Marvel or DC franchise being treated in this fashion you'd get much more of this "nitpicking".

Is it nitpicking though or legitimate complaints?

Just because some people take the attitude of "hey they're talking turtles who carez" doesn't mean that people are invested in the franchise can't cry foul at a movie which looks to be treating the source with little faithfulness or care.

If this was any big Marvel or DC franchise being treated in this fashion you'd get much more of this "nitpicking".

Ignoring all the times nolan's take on batman has been brought up(and ignored) in this very thread.

When people nit picked superman's underwear, his hair and his height to death, they were told the same thing.

Ignoring all the times nolan's take on batman has been brought up(and ignored) in this very thread.

When people nit picked superman's underwear, his hair and his height to death, they were told the same thing.

You're right and those were relatively minor changes to Batman and Superman. Can you imagine if both had changes to the level of the upcoming turtles movie were even the core things present in every version are fair game to mess with. Fans would complain way more than the lack of underwear.

What really bites for me is the argument that they have to go in this direction to translate to screen when we're living in age were faithful comic book are killing it. All the best of the current crop of super hero movies like Iron Man and Winter Soldier have stuck close to the comics.

When I saw Batman Begins to me it was an adaption The Man Who Falls, Year One, Year Two and The Long Halloween. When I saw The Dark Knight far from a bold new take on Batman it was one I'd always wanted to see brought to life from page to screen. Obviously it translated differently but it was clear Nolan knew the mythos inside and out so most of the alterations still felt true to the concept.

The backlash actually been pretty important for this movie as it has facilitated change. Make no mistake had it not been for the meltdowns over the aliens issue we'd be getting something very much like that Blue Door script and they've prided themselves that they're made changes even while on set to appease fan concerns but I would argue that if they don't really get why fans were upset in the first place I don't think they have the correct knowledge of how to fix them The weirdest thing is TMNT shouldn't be hard to screw up. At very best it could be the equal to the best comic book movies and at worst it's just a fun romp. Obviously they've gone for the latter in their own "Michael Bay" way but they didn't have to offend so many people getting there.

Last edited:
When I saw Batman Begins to me it was an adaption The Man Who Falls, Year One, Year Two and The Long Halloween. When I saw The Dark Knight far from a bold new take on Batman it was one I'd always wanted to see brought to life from page to screen. Obviously it translated differently but it was clear Nolan knew the mythos inside and out so most of the alterations still felt true to the concept.

:funny:
No.

Perhaps he didn't, but he respected it and played it truthfully.

I meant that perhaps he wasn't an expert know-it-all on the subject, but he understood it and made great movies that honored the character legacy.

Now, back to the turtles.
It seems to me that there is a lot positive reaction, at least on this thread so I'm less worried about the final product. I really hope this movie is good. But for now, I'll try to stay as un-spoilered as I can.

Edit:
Sorry I just re-read what I wrote. I thought it sounded good, there are some kinks on the English language that I have not mastered yet.

That's the thing with great directors. As far as I can tell, Nolan surrounded himself with people who knew the source material, studied it and made his own vision with it.

That's the thing with great directors. As far as I can tell, Nolan surrounded himself with people who knew the source material, studied it and made his own vision with it.

Right,
Just like Jonathan liebesman did with Kevin Eastman.

I'm a little wary on it, mostly because I tend to agree more with Peter Laird. But then again, the new Image comics seem solid enough and he was involved with that too.

I'll be honest, the only thing that made me wary in the first place was Michael Bay involvement. I know it is a predjudgement, but I'm not a huge fan of his films and the initial backlash that this film had didn't gave me a lot of hope.

Now that I have taken Bay out of the equation reasonably, the only things that I'm worried are the character designs, the choice of casting for Shredder, and the voice talents brought in.

Well that's a different account than Nolan himself gives of Batman Begins. Maybe it was that conversation that did make him seek out and read the comics as he claimed in an interview I read when the Begins was released and I'd say there's enough in that movie specifically to convince me he knew Batman well.

Heck even in TDK were it didn't pull so overtly from the comics still had a lot from there like the trio of Batman, Gordon and Dent working to take down Maroni and you're not telling me that Ledger's "wanna know how I got these scars?" isn't supposed to be a reference to "Sometimes I remember it one way, sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice". His whole mission in that movie is the same as Killing Joke, to prove the best man could fall after one bad day.

But let's for the sake argument say you're correct and Nolan didn't know the Batman mythos well, isn't it a good thing we had someone else that was willing to push for faith fullness; TMNT doesn't really have that. A lot is made of Kevin Eastman's involvement putting aside there's some liberal explanations of his input. For a long time he wasn't creatively involved in the Platinum Dunes version but he's the guy that seems down with whatever, the one who praises every version and sells it as the best at the time.

I'll give them some credit for realizing they were on the wrong track but it shouldn't take mass meltdowns to say "hey let's skim wiki entries to find some TMNT stuff include in a TMNT movie".

Last edited:
Yeh, it's nice that Eastman is there and involved, but he's not really the best guy to hear "it's all cool, it'll be amazing!" from. He'll literally praise anything TMNT realted. Laird on the other hand will bash anything that isn't the Mirage comics...

Now that I have taken Bay out of the equation reasonably, the only things that I'm worried are the character designs, the choice of casting for Shredder, and the voice talents brought in.

Which voice talents don't you like?
I'm a little iffy on Knoxville's Leo,but Mikey,Donatello,Raph,and splinter all sound perfect to me.

Which voice talents don't you like?
I'm a little iffy on Knoxville's Leo,but Mikey,Donatello,Raph,and splinter all sound perfect to me.

Oh, it's mostly Knoxville. But is a little more fanboyism in that regard as Leo is my favorite turtle and I'm not very fond of Knoxville. Also that I though that the actors who did the motion capture were going to make the voices too. I know it isn't a rare practice, since the most of the previous films did the same thing. But the fact that the cast was announced late in the game makes me feel as they didn't invest a lot of effort on that.

You're right and those were relatively minor changes to Batman and Superman. Can you imagine if both had changes to the level of the upcoming turtles movie were even the core things present in every version are fair game to mess with. Fans would complain way more than the lack of underwear.

What really bites for me is the argument that they have to go in this direction to translate to screen when we're living in age were faithful comic book are killing it. All the best of the current crop of super hero movies like Iron Man and Winter Soldier have stuck close to the comics.

The backlash actually been pretty important for this movie as it has facilitated change. Make no mistake had it not been for the meltdowns over the aliens issue we'd be getting something very much like that Blue Door script and they've prided themselves that they're made changes even while on set to appease fan concerns but I would argue that if they don't really get why fans were upset in the first place I don't think they have the correct knowledge of how to fix them The weirdest thing is TMNT shouldn't be hard to screw up. At very best it could be the equal to the best comic book movies and at worst it's just a fun romp. Obviously they've gone for the latter in their own "Michael Bay" way but they didn't have to offend so many people getting there.
ykKiE3Q.gif

I got the pizza Pringles today. Really good! :woot:

Only 4 days left until that TMNT Movie BTS Special on Nickelodeon.

That shot of Donnie deflecting bullets (and also making cheesey bites somehow) is pretty badass. I'm dying to see more, and to see some of these TV spots in HD instead of recorded off a TV. Why wouldn't they just release them online already?

Has this been posted?
[YT]yMZwTbw73ug[/YT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back