Sequels Patrick Stewart doesn't expect to revive his Prof X role

zeptron

Superhero
Reaction score
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/02/02/patrick-stewart-doesnt-expect-to-return-for-x-men-first-class/

Acclaimed British actor Patrick Stewart may be finished with the "X-Men" film series.

During an appearance at an Australian "Star Trek" convention, the actor who portrayed Professor Charles Xavier was asked about the possibility of returning for Bryan Singer's upcoming "X-Men: First Class." According to Trek Movie, Stewart joked that Singer was going to hire eight-year-old actors for the film and said that he didn't expect to be involved with the project.

However, Stewart did mention that portraying Professor X during the first three "X-Men" films opposite Ian McKellen as Magneto was "one of the best and most fun experiences" he ever had, and added that it was "the best job in the world." Stewart also noted that "working with Ian [McKellen] again would be wonderful."

Stewart's remarks echo comments made by McKellen late last year regarding the proposed "X-Men Origins: Magneto" film.

"I think it would be about the younger Magneto, and the most I could hope for would be to top and tail that," said McKellen. "They can't have someone whose face is as lined as mine any longer!"

Back in December, Singer confirmed his return to the "X-Men" franchise and emphasized that "X-Men: First Class" would portray Xavier and Magneto as younger men during the early years of their relationship. Singer also indicated that "X-Men: First Class" might supersede the "Magneto" solo film.

Shia Leabouf: "No no no no!"

I remember around the time X3 came out Stewart talked about how he loved the Professor X role and would love to keep coming back to it. Stupid Fox and their prequel nonsense. :cmad:

Should be obvious. The CGI can't hold up. I am against recasting the characters down the line until it's WAY down the line. 10-15 years post Last Stand, unless they want a reboot sooner than that. Maybe get some young actors for the prequels that can grow into their roles.

I don't see why Stewart can't play Xavier in First Class, considering his cameo in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. They simply need not make him look freakish. He and McKellen are two of the best elements of the series, as they play the characters so well. I would hate to not see them continue to portray Magneto and Xavier, especially since First Class looks to delve into their relationship further than the previous X-films. Recast if they must, but it would be a shame.

I don't think Fox is willing to increase the budget to deage Stewart and McKellen when they could just recast both of their roles. It's not like either of them are Hugh Jackman.

To be honest, I can picture Fox moving forward regardless. The studio doesn't seem particularly keen on maintaining continuity, so why not? Moreover, who's to say they can't be involved later down the line? If they don't pursue McKellen and Stewart, I trust Singer to hire good replacements. He did a fine job casting these two characters the first time.

I don't see why Stewart can't play Xavier in First Class, considering his cameo in X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

There's a reason The Curious Case of Benjamin Button cost $160 million to make. Singer's version will involve Xavier and Magneto a lot more (I don't think Magneto was even in Josh Scwartz' script, considering Magneto was still being developed), so they will be on-screen a lot more. It makes sense to re-cast, especially if they want sequels to First Class, and if they want Xavier and Magneto to take part in action scenes.

Well I'm sad if we don't see Patrick Stewart but I still think the film will be great because of Singer's involvement. But I would rather have a sequel to fix the problems of X3 than more prequels.

Michael Cerveris would'nt be a bad replacement

tn-500_pjz_dec11_08_tommy_meet_greet_0007.jpg

There's a reason The Curious Case of Benjamin Button cost $160 million to make.

There are a lot of reasons The Curious Case of Benjamin Button cost $160 million.

The title of the thread says Stewart doesn't expect to revive his role. My point is that, given his cameo in X-Men Origins: Wolverine and how recent it is to the events of X-Men, and that no one knows the timeline during which this movie takes place, he may still be able to take part and revive his role at some point during the movie or the potential First Class franchise.

Making an actor look younger in a cameo isn't the same as making an actor look younger for an entire film. Professor X will probably be near his age in Wolverine, where he needed the CGI to look younger.

I remember around the time X3 came out Stewart talked about how he loved the Professor X role and would love to keep coming back to it. Stupid Fox and their prequel nonsense. :cmad:

I'm sorry but I had to laugh when I read this because I saw your avatar and imagined that guy saying that.

"Patrick...we have to go back!!!!"

I don't see why Stewart can't play Xavier in First Class, considering his cameo in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. They simply need not make him look freakish. He and McKellen are two of the best elements of the series, as they play the characters so well. I would hate to not see them continue to portray Magneto and Xavier, especially since First Class looks to delve into their relationship further than the previous X-films. Recast if they must, but it would be a shame.

I was hoping they'd find a way to use both actors in the new film too, especially since Patrick Stewart did the cameo in XMO. They were two of my favorite parts of the original trilogy.

I remember watching Patrick Stewart on The Daily Show on when X2 opened and he seemed so psyched about the part - I'd never seen him that excited talking about Star Trek. You could tell he really loved the role.

Michael Cerveris would'nt be a bad replacement

I've seen him on Broadway a few times. He'll always be Tommy to me.

If they can find a way of bringing back Stewart and McKellen i think they should do it by all means.But i really don't expect them to play younger versions of themselves because of the cost and time required to pull it off. I could however see them involved in some type of narration type capacity or perhaps a flash forward type scene with both of them playing chess reminiscing about the past?:yay:

If they can find a way of bringing back Stewart and McKellen i think they should do it by all means.But i really don't expect them to play younger versions of themselves because of the cost and time required to pull it off. I could however see them involved in some type of narration type capacity or perhaps a flash forward type scene with both of them playing chess reminiscing about the past?:yay:

I'd love it if First Class or something started in the present with the two of them starting to talk about a story form the past!

I really loved the cast of the first trilogy and you can tell when they did their various appearances on late night shows that they loved the camaraderie, even with the "kiss my black ass" incident (Halle vs. Bryan) haha, or the complaints about the long makeup process (Rebecca and Alan). I especially loved when Rebecca Romijn guested on Conan.

I remember McKellen would rent a beach front house in Vancouver and the actors mentioned that they would have parties here.

I will really miss this group. :(

I really loved the cast of the first trilogy and you can tell when they did their various appearances on late night shows that they loved the camaraderie, even with the "kiss my black ass" incident (Halle vs. Bryan) haha, or the complaints about the long makeup process (Rebecca and Alan). I especially loved when Rebecca Romijn guested on Conan.

I remember McKellen would rent a beach front house in Vancouver and the actors mentioned that they would have parties here.

I will really miss this group. :(

Indeed the cast of the trilogy was fantastic, at least we got three movies with them....even if the third wasn't exactly very stellar.

Their appearance on TRL when X2 was released was one of my favorites. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"