Peppa Pig and Fireman Sam accused of sexism by London Fire Brigade

jolldan

Sidekick
Reaction score
Peppa Pig and Fireman Sam accused of sexism by London Fire Brigade

Children's TV shows Peppa Pig and Fireman Sam have been accused of sexism by the London Fire Brigade.

It comes after an episode used the term "fireman" instead of "firefighter".

"Come on @peppapig, we've not been firemen for 30 years," tweeted the brigade.

"You have a huge influence on kids & using out of date stereotypical gender specific wording prevents young girls from becoming firefighters."

In England, 5.2% of firefighters are women.

A statement from Mattel, the company behind the show, said it was "committed to representing [firefighters] work in the most appropriate way through our entertaining show for children".

"Fireman Sam is a much loved and iconic brand and we are constantly evolving to make sure that we stay true to the show's heritage as well as representing the world that children see around them today," it said.

"The team are always referred to throughout the show as 'firefighters' except Sam who has not evolved his title in his role as the show's namesake."

Earlier this week, LFB also tweeted its praise of a new Barbie firefighter doll, saying it was "helping girls & boys to imagine everything they can become".

I mean yeah it would be nice to stop with this Gender specific stuff and all that...but at some point we just have to stop being upset about literally every single thing every moment of our life.

I dont want to slam SJW or Political Correctness because i find its core is noble goal...but god damn it, if you Pop a vessel over this kind of stuff then you need serious help.

I mean yeah it would be nice to stop with this Gender specific stuff and all that...but at some point we just have to stop being upset about literally every single thing every moment of our life.

I dont want to slam SJW or Political Correctness because i find its core is noble goal...but god damn it, if you Pop a vessel over this kind of stuff then you need serious help.
I'm finding the opposite end of the spectrum far worse.

Will there be sensitive Lefties that through the Internet can now make their displeasure known? Yeah. Obviously. But now those offended by the SJW's being offended are showing they aren't any better and if anything are MORE a part of disseminating "outrage" culture than their supposed opposite numbers are.

This thread's creation is exhibit A. A tweet was sent out.

No one ****ing cares. None of us would have even heard of this at all without this thread being made for the purpose of an antiSJW circle jerk. Those opposed to the outrage do more to actually spread it by being offended by other people being offended.

Once more... One tweet. The "outrage"... Of one tweet.

Jesus ****ing Christ.

I could understand your statement if this was just some random man or woman.

This statement however was made by the head of the London fire brigade and is now being promoted by the official account of the London fire brigade that's followed by over 200,000 people. That definitely has potential to be seen more than one random tweet would.

I'm finding the opposite end of the spectrum far worse.

Will there be sensitive Lefties that through the Internet can now make their displeasure known? Yeah. Obviously. But now those offended by the SJW's being offended are showing they aren't any better and if anything are MORE a part of disseminating "outrage" culture than their supposed opposite numbers are.

This thread's creation is exhibit A. A tweet was sent out.

No one ****ing cares. None of us would have even heard of this at all without this thread being made for the purpose of an antiSJW circle jerk. Those opposed to the outrage do more to actually spread it by being offended by other people being offended.

Also just because I pop a story up doesn't mean that I am offended by, its just story that was on as I was flicking through sky news where the headline of Fireman Sam next to the usual Brexit and Trump stuff caught my eye.

You can take from the story what you like but why you continue to make these accusations as if you know why people are posting stuff is kind of irritating you were off on that in the colourism thread and you're off again here.

I mean, wouldn't the London Fire Brigade know what you call a firefighter? This actually reminds me of one of my favorite jokes in Hot Fuzz. And well, all joking aside, there is a fair point is saying that something that has such a big impact on kids should use the right term.

I agree although I think calling it sexist is just a bit of a stretch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"