Peter Jackson's Mortal Engines

The second trailer was much better than the first, it added some real scale and scope to the films unique concept.

She looks a pretty cool character, I dig her plane.

The new trailer is such an improvement over the last one.

Apparently the first 24 minutes they showed at NYCC were even better:

https://www.tor.com/2018/10/05/mortal-engines-looks-better-than-you-might-expect/

This will probably flop but I, for one, am going to check it out. The book is great and I've been hoping for the Peter Jackson filmmaking team to get some of their old mojo back. The newest trailer still has some cliches but it is visually dazzling and overally pretty encouraging.

So, are the books any good?

There's some spoilers for some stuff such as about Shrike that's not in the trailers...just a preemptive FYI.

For a 100 mil. CGI film it looks rather good. I want to check this one out.

0352102.jpg

0369290.jpg

0414603.jpg

0444290.jpg

0428665.jpg

It looks pretty and the concept sounds interesting... Okay a little stupid.

For a 100 mil. CGI film it looks rather good. I want to check this one out.
The budget’s only $100m? Thought something like this would be higher.

It actually looks really awesome. Just read the books so I know the storyline: I really like the casting of Anna Fang.

It actually looks really awesome. Just read the books so I know the storyline: I really like the casting of Anna Fang.
How many books are there?

4, and then some prequels. Plus a collection of short stories about Anna Fang that I'm gonna get. Her character is quite fascinating.

4, and then some prequels. Plus a collection of short stories about Anna Fang that I'm gonna get. Her character is quite fascinating.
Thanks for that. Will add to the list. :cwink:

Hundreds of years after civilization was destroyed by a cataclysmic event, a mysterious young woman, Hester Shaw (Hera Hilmar), emerges as the only one who can stop London — now a giant, predator city on wheels — from devouring everything in its path. Feral, and fiercely driven by the memory of her mother, Hester joins forces with Tom Natsworthy (Robert Sheehan), an outcast from London, along with Anna Fang (Jihae), a dangerous outlaw with a bounty on her head.

Mortal Engines is the startling, new epic adventure directed by Oscar®-winning visual-effects artist Christian Rivers (King Kong). Joining Rivers are The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogies three-time Academy Award®-winning filmmakers Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens, who have penned the screenplay. Visual effects are created by a Weta Digital team led by Ken McGaugh, Kevin Smith, Luke Millar and Dennis Yoo. The Universal and MRC adaptation is from the award-winning book series by Philip Reeve, published in 2001 by Scholastic.

On board as producers are Zane Weiner (The Hobbit trilogy), Amanda Walker (The Hobbit trilogy) and Deborah Forte (Goosebumps), as well as Walsh and Jackson. Ken Kamins (The Hobbit trilogy) joins Boyens as executive producer. Universal will distribute the film worldwide. www.mortalengines.com

I saw the ad during South Park yesterday.

Last edited:
This looks cheesy but also gorgeous and fun. Like the book! Seems like it might be missing some of the books' narrative/character risks and sense of humor, but if they can get the thrill of the adventure right, that counts for something...

I think Hera Hilmar is a strong actress but maybe Hester Shaw wasn't the right role for her? At the same time I think it could be a performance that plays much better in full context than in trailer clips. Everyone else looks pretty suitable to me, Jihae's moment here works far better than her stuff in the first full trailer. Can't wait to see more of Stephen Lang's Shrike.

This looks cheesy but also gorgeous and fun.

This is still a movie with a YA setting so it'll inevitably end up being cheesy because it'll have the usual tropes and cliches that comes with the genre. But I really think it looks awesome. The vfx work is great and even the acting looks much better in the extended look. I thought the first full trailer looked awful with downright bad acting from the young leads but I'm seeing a drastic improvement here regarding the same. This is totally DOA when it comes to the BO prospects but this looks like my steampunk dream come true and I'm going to stan this so hard.

Last edited:
This is totally DOA when it comes to the BO prospects but this looks like my steampunk dream come true and I'm going to stan this so hard.

I share your enthusiasm. I honestly can't wait to see this movie and just immerse myself in steampunk.

Been seeing a lot of marketing for this recently. I just...kinda don't get it, honestly - maybe the books are cool, not familiar with them at all. But this honestly strikes me as some generic sort of Young Adult b-grade cliche, Maze Runner or whatever. Probably completely wrong, it's Jackson, but like if his name weren't on the trailers/commercials I'd probably be changing the channel or hitting the ol' Youtube "skip".

Been seeing a lot of marketing for this recently. I just...kinda don't get it, honestly - maybe the books are cool, not familiar with them at all. But this honestly strikes me as some generic sort of Young Adult b-grade cliche, Maze Runner or whatever. Probably completely wrong, it's Jackson, but like if his name weren't on the trailers/commercials I'd probably be changing the channel or hitting the ol' Youtube "skip".

If you read the books, you'll find that they take a very dark turn, very quickly. I don't want to spoil anything, but let's just say that it's a grim story. And as it continues, the story grows even more grim. Not generic, at all. I mean, Jackson could dumb this down, and I'm afraid of that, but the last trailer looked very cool and exciting.
I just hope that they do film the rest of the series, because Oenone Zero is a great character, and I'd love to see her onscreen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"